I know you're not supposed to clean coins but...

Captain Yoda

...this one was in bad shape.
ih1.jpg

ih2.jpg

I wasn't worried about decreasing the value, seeing as it wouldn't be worth much even in pristine shape. I think the end result was worth it.

Attachments

• ih3.jpg
    ih3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 378
  • ih4.jpg
    ih4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 402
its your coin you can do what you want with it, I have tumbled several IH and they came out looking fantastic. If they would of been key dates I would of not tumbled...GL+HH.....CLIFF.

Even a coin in poor condition, is better than no coin at all to some collectors. I'm not sure if there is anyway to make that coin more appealing in a collection, as I'm not a collector myself. Never seen a folder with any that looked that bad. If it ever becomes legal to melt pennies for scrap, got a hunch those old dates will increase in value, as they'll become more rare to find for collections.

I use a home made jewelers mix of stainless steel.If it isn't a key date for your own collection clean the heck out of it.later your Grandkids will likely get a hold of it and spend it on candy anyways.Old guy i used to work with told me about a hundred times a story of prosecuting his grandson for stealing his prized half penny and spending it on bubble gum.Imagine telling Bruno in the cell with you what you were in there for.He'd probably laugh until he wet himself.Then tear your arm off when he caught you pointing!:laughing::lol:

If it is not a key date then clean it. Coppers are very rarely holding value because they are supposed to be copper color, not green or black. As for silvers, I use baking soda on all my common date ones so they look better in my display case. Nice IH...

How did you clean it? Looks good...

so how did you clean it?....I'm trying to do the same thing right now, with no luck. IH so crusted you can't see anything under the funk.

I first used a product called Brasso and scrubbed it with a toothbrush until my fingers bled. Then I soaked it in Dawn and scrubbed it some more.

Cleaning ancient coins (and we're talking 1700+ years) is a hobby of mine, and one of the safest ways to clean those is by soaking them in distilled water. If you cut the bristles of a toothbrush in half, they are more firm, yet still gentle on the coin. It can take months to clean off the coin, but the risk of damaging it is low.

What did you do to this one?

Back
Top Bottom