Been waiting on this

KiowaRd

Forum Supporter
Finally tracked down the one room school that my father attended back in the '30s. He had showed me the school once but that was many many years ago. I had a good idea where it was but hadn't located it. Finally found it and was surprised when talking to my insurance agent who was a few years younger than dad but also went to the school He confirmed that I had the right one. And he knew the man that owned the property and gave me his phone number.

The 1 1/2 acre plot has been bush hogged but grass is much too tall to hunt. When I called the owner and asked permission I told him that I'd bring my mower and cut the grass. No problem getting permission but he was on vacation and wanted me to wait till he got back home. He should be home now but it's raining and the tall grass will have to dry some before I can start.

Not much of the building is still standing but at least it's there. Many of the old schools around here are just fields now and no sign of where the school house sat. Found this old photo. Not many of the old schools were made of stone. I think just three in this county.

picture.php

Can't wait.....

Wow, neat, definitely keep us updated on the finds later !

…...you would think any coins you do find there will be old and hopefully in fairly good shape !

Could be some nice old coins. When I hunted some of the one room school sites back in the early '80's I found IHP's (took seven from one hole) Barber dimes and a "V" nickel. The old school sites also have wheat back pennies. They were used as schools up to the early 1950's.
It would be special to find something from the school my dad attended back then. I have hunted the one that my mother attended but never found anything. All the old school sites have been hit pretty hard thru the years. But I did get a couple of IHP's and a Buffalo nickel from one that's less then two miles from my house.

Now that looks promising. I was lucky enough to hit a similar spot but it was built around 1901. My first target was 2 barber quarters in the same hole!
Good luck with your spot, Im sure you'll pull some goodies out that!

Very cool. I have done well at a 1910 school that has been hunted before, yours could be dynamite!

Niceness! Looks to be post civil war.

For sure. This part of Kansas was Indian Territory until after the civil war. Most of the towns around here celebrated their sesquicentennial (150) anniversary in just the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom