Stretching the equinox truth?

When I first got my Nox and started fiddling with.
You know how long it took me to see some thing (using-testing) to make me go inside my house and bring out the mighty Deus because I saw some thing?
About 15minutes.
Got news for folks too.
Nox will outperform Deus wearing 9" LF coil in certain tests too.
And also the HF coils.
But the poor little Nox just has one coil.
Even being, it does real well.
Boys and Girls.
Remember I have posted loads of positive things about Deus here on this forum and elsewhere.
But Nox gets it dues here too.

I appreciate your informative reports, Tnsharpshooter. Even leaving aside that the Equinox seems to edge out the Impact and Deus (two fast machines) in most of your tests, the Equinox is looking very cost effective. Given the price of the Deus with its expensive coils, the Equinox with its coils (if they ever come) is likely to look like a real bargain for folks who build up coil collections. It may be closer (or even the other way around) with the Impact.

Honestly I don't put a nickel in these type of tests, I feel like I'm at barnum and bailey, but if you insist.

Now tn, do the same test with the 9.5 HF coil on the Deus.

Case closed!

What's HF elliptical got to with anything?
Comparing detectors, coil size to coil size should be applied.
For example Nokta impact with 4x7 will beat Deus HF elliptical in some test.
So does this impact and small football coil rank supreme? No
The coil is smaller.

The fact is you haven't compared physically while using Deus vs Nox, have you?
Using 11" coils on both?

:p I'm just here for the flogging....:popcorn:

:lol: Just kidding! I have a Nox coming but couldn't agree more here, I think Dr. Tones would sell you a bag of poop if he was getting well paid for it. I think Calabash has made some excellent vids so far, rattlehead too, and I look forward to seeing more from Romy and Compass at the beach. It seems to only take one stupid "mines better" comment to stir up trouble too and the Minelab spokespeople know that and use it to keep us talking about Equinox. If I didn't water hunt and already had a Deus, E-Trac, CTX, I wouldn't be considering a Nox to be honest.I also think a users familiarity with his machine plays a much bigger role in getting results. You have made some spectacular finds with your Deus bud, If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

How is your nox stacking up to the mxsport so far?

Equinox is turning this forum into Facebook, I swear.

We get it....great machine. Do we need a new thread from every single person who buys one, just to tell us they bought it? Click on view new posts and you'll see what I mean. I'm not knocking the machine but it's getting tough to weed through non-stop Equinox threads, most of which have zero substance or new info.

Hey craig, time for an Equinox sub forum perhaps?

Sorry, rant/.

Another test.
Deus 11" coil, Nox 11" coil.
2mdp4qq.jpg

You see the blue cap.
Clad dime down approx 5" deep.

Sweeping down general direction yard stick is pointed. Yard stick in pick for scale of distance really.
Deus fast disc 6, no cigar. Can't even do hover sweeps over dime and hear anything signal wise nonferrous sounding. Tried all reactivity settings silencer -1.
Even TX power 1 in all reactivity settings too. No cigar.

Nox park 2 speed 8 hits from one direction, and IDs dime.
Speed 7 hits but ID a bit more compromised., but still enough iD to make me very suspicious of higher conductor nesting.
Can do hover sweeps over dime and get very good tone and rock solid ID.

Take away the shoe, both detector hit and ID dime correctly on full sweeps.

What about round HF coil on Deus in above pic.
On sweeps no cigar.
Hovering coil over dime and wiggling I can get dime using 28.8 kHz and 54khz using certain reactivity levels.

What about elliptical HF coil?
If gets the dime, passes from both directions.
But look at the size difference.
No good ID though on dime.

Last edited:
AT Pro threads...Deus threads...CTX threads...

There's always a ton of them when a new in-demand detector comes out. It will eventually pass...probably for something like the Garrett GTI 4000 combo Multi-IQ/PI, and Ground penetrating radar system all in one! LOL!

lol! Some of this stuff is kind of comical.

Before the Equinox is released to the public, lots of people say they don't trust hype from Minelab and that they're going to wait to read reviews from users before buying. Then, Equinox shipments start trickling in and those who have them start posting positive reviews. Now suddenly those are all hype too. :lol:

My take, its definitely a great detector and you get a LOT of bang for your buck. Its not perfect by any means but it has some real strong points that'll probably put a hurt on sales of other machines in its price range. Will it make them obsolete? Nah. But it'll most likely force some other manufacturers to lower the cost on their current units and/or develop something better. Either way its good news for us.

Another pic.
Here's one you could definitely face in the wild.

dfeumq.jpg

The clad dime under blue cap a mere 5" deep.

Sweeping both Nox wearing 11" coil and Desu with 11" LF coil back and forth down the ruler.

Nox gives me tone and ID from one direction of dime. Good ID too. I sued 5 tones and 50 tones. I like 50 tones better for hunting trashy sites, due to Nox ability to tone roll.
Park 2 factory disc, speed 7.

Deus no cigar.
Doesn't no tell me on sweeps higher conductor exist period.
Highest meter readings in 70s (using 18khz).
Did try all freqs. All reactivty settings.
I can't even tell a high conductor exist by doing actually hovering coil over dime and wiggling.
No if I turn 90 degrees Deus bust the dime, but so does the Nox.

In this test what about the mighty9" LF coil.
How does it do.
No cigar, very much like the results gotten with 11" LF coil.
I do not get either tone or ID info telling me dime exists.
Again even hovering coil over dime and wiggling using 9" LF coil, no cigar.

What about the mighty Etrac and stock coil.
It fails test with sweeps, but I can hear dime with ID to boot with coil over dime and wiggling.

Last edited:
TNSS, have you by chance tried 5Khz in the above scenario? What little chance I've had to play with mine, the tone roll seems more pronounced at that single frequency in 50 tones.

TNSS, have you by chance tried 5Khz in the above scenario? What little chance I've had to play with mine, the tone roll seems more pronounced at that single frequency in 50 tones.

I will try with Nox and see. Test is still in position.

I tried 5khz.
It works too, but IMO Multi does better on this test. Meaning the tone ramp up is quicker more abrupt vs 5khz ops.
I have done a few tests involvin modern trash though where 5khz was better than Mulit freq.

I mentioned above, about liking 50 tones in modern trash. If one chooses to run 5 tones say, you may not get the tone roll up I call it. Nox may capture and put all in one bin and what a persons hears not as attention getting. Or put a real small sliver in another gin, but not enough to grab your attention. But hey folks can use what they want.
On some of the most crippled high conductors this may be all you get to tell you to investigate.

Folks should be noticing. Nox better modern trash hunter vs Deus.
Deus engineering seems to be more geared towards iron, and alerting to nonferrous with iron. But even here Nox outdoes Deus in a lot of ways.
Users of Nox have a much higher chance of finding deeper mask nonferrous with Nox. Comparing all LF coils. And believe it or not, some scenarios bearing the Deus and Hf coils.
I have put them head to head, Deus with all coils on targets in the wild.
So I am reporting first hand info as far as me talking.

And remember there could be scenarios where a good coin is hiding where both ferrous and junk nonferrous target come into play.

Also need to say.
I test and look at detectors.
I rate based on like a one coil back and forth from one direction.
Sure I could take a lot of detectors and play ring around the Rosie's in a site and make additional finds.
But what if we kept comparing detectors taking them from site to site just hunting from one direction.Then what.
Would this tell us something?I think so.
If we flagged and compared targets. And sweeps were done direcrion wise as target was located.

Detecting is about odds really.
All detectors are crippled in one fashion or another depending.
But some are less crippled on average than others are.

I really don't care about the so called term speed.
What I want to see is if one detector does something usually better than the other. Can speed be a factor, sure.
But speed ain't all there is when it comes to how one gives info both tonally and with ID.

Notice I am not telling folks to buy any certain model.
All I am doing is reporting and yes using some pics to show the test being done.
Folks can believe or disbelieve.
If anyone wants to come visit me, and do these test,,fine with me.
One stipulation though.
You post what you witness on this forum.

Last edited:
Time for another test.
Nox wearing 11" DD coil, Deus wearing 11" LF coil..
riep77.jpg

Now this test contains a nail vertical, see it.
And a clad dime.

I compared both detectors.
Sweeping more or less parallel to yard stick.
If I push coil up against close to the top of 2x4 and sweep with
Nox gives me readings of 20,21, and 22. Park 2 speed 7. Dime airtest 25-26 btw on Nox.
I'll dig those numbers.

Deus using Deus fast if I put coil is same similar position and sweep ID provided substantially lower than airtest ID (airtest ID on dime is 91 btw) when positioning Deus coil like Nox Imget ID as low as low 50s and it goes up to mid 70s on sweeps.
I tried other freqs and reactivty settings too.

Remember by doing what I did above coin is off center of coil somewhat.
But in the wild, we never know how center we really are, we are looking for Intel to tell us to stop and investigate more.

Another test.
10wlfm9.jpg

That's a big 14k wedding band in pic.
Notice the nails above ring's plane.
3- 2x4" thickness tall above ring.

Comparing Deus and Nox both wearing 11" coils.
Keeping Nox in Multi freq.
Nox gives 2 way signal when ring s swept with coil above nails.
Park 2 speed 7.
I can go to field 2 and get 2 way tone using speeds 5,6 and 7, a much better signal,than even park 2 gives.

Deus trying all settings, I do get something sounds like rice crispies under the coil. I rate signal gotten, a signal just because I know the ring is there. In the wild SOL IMO.
Deus fast 6.0 disc and tried all freqs and reactivty settings. Reactivty 2 silencer -1 gave best signal 18khz if you want to call it a signal.

So yeah, a lot of my test involve park2.
Field 2 actually as far as separation unmasking(with ferrous involved) dominates park 2. (Most times, there is a depth factor difference though in cleaner ground using park 2 it seems is deeper.)

Last edited:
lol! Some of this stuff is kind of comical.

Before the Equinox is released to the public, lots of people say they don't trust hype from Minelab and that they're going to wait to read reviews from users before buying. Then, Equinox shipments start trickling in and those who have them start posting positive reviews. Now suddenly those are all hype too. [emoji38]

My take, its definitely a great detector and you get a LOT of bang for your buck. Its not perfect by any means but it has some real strong points that'll probably put a hurt on sales of other machines in its price range. Will it make them obsolete? Nah. But it'll most likely force some other manufacturers to lower the cost on their current units and/or develop something better. Either way its good news for us.
This is spot on. Great post!

/Thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well said Rattlehead!

I've never really understood why a simple opinion can raise the hair on some people's back. If I was a dealer I could somewhat understand why my opinion could be in question, but frankly, I couldn't care less what you choose to use so why would I lie about my opinion of a detector?

I have several Equinox 800's on order so obviously the machine has peaked my interest. That being said, I will reserve my opinion on how good it is until it has be in my hands for atleast a half year or so. It has not been out long enough in the "final release" model to have a true test of withstanding the test of time. Also I am very concerned that this MASSIVE backorder demand could result in manufacturing defects that start showing up as more units get into the hands of users. If anyone is to be honest and step off the bandwagon for just a moment you will have to agree this model just has not been around long enough or in the field in enough hands to honestly know if its going to hold up or start having failures. XP Deus, AT-PRO, and others have been out for years now and earned the title of reliable. I hope issues do not surface, but will not be surprised if some do, especially regarding the waterproofing. AT-PRO, CTX-3030, MX Sport...just to name 3 current popular models, all had problems in the beginning. I plan on using mine in submerged fresh water wading, I fear long term waterproofing most. Time will tell, until then all this really IS, is just Hype!

Another test.
25plj6q.jpg

Under the nail is a pull ring (no tab attached on edge).

Nox airtest tab to read 16/17.

Park 2 speed 7 when sweeping ring on edge directly under nail, ID reads in Nox meter 17,18 and even now and then a 19 in meter. Most readings 17 and 18. Sweeping multiple multiple times.

Deus using 11" LF coil, Deus fast 18khz, disc 6.0 reactivty 3 Deus gives tone. Ring airtest with Deus 76. Sweeping the ring with nail on top Deus reads 83-90 on sweeps. With a lot of 86-88 in the meter.
Nail and ring pull not touching physically.

Btw I did this same test using US nickel. Same results, Deus ID though would go a tad higher than ring pull on sweeps.

How about a Nox vs Nox test?

Park 2 vs Field 2 detect modes.
dmg1o6.jpg

First a disclaimer here. My field 2 disc has been changed to what park 2 factory looks like.

Park 2 speed 7 and 8 all I Get is trailing tone as coil comes off right side of dime when sweeping.
Field 2
I get 2 way tone. Speeds 5,6,7 and 8. Speed 5 is getting dicey though.
Sens 23 in both modes.

Coin removed no signals provided on nail using both modes and factory disc park2 in both detect modes.

Last edited:
Good test! I used field 2 yesterday for a little while and it seemed to run a little quieter than park 2. Been running mostly park 2 for the few hunts I've done so far. Will have to try field 2 a little more.

Back
Top Bottom