New in New Orleans

DiggrDaddy

New to Metal Detecting here on the West Bank of New Orleans . Looking for someone who maybe nearby who may be able to give me some pointers on areas to get started .

Nawlins

New to Metal Detecting here on the West Bank of New Orleans . Looking for someone who maybe nearby who may be able to give me some pointers on areas to get started .

When I was stationed in New Orleans (USMC) from 1996-1999 I was a member of a now defunct club in Slidell called the Past Finders, and also a member of a now defunct metal detecting club in Baton Rouge. I met and hunted with a couple of members of both clubs. One friend (Joe) I met at the Slidell club was a bottle digger who also metal detected and we would drive around New Orleans looking for lots being cleared out to detect or dig bottles. I understand now that a lot of const companies have resorted to throwing up fences to keep the public out (don't blame them due to the thieves) so digging there is not what it once was. I still think there is a lot of potential as a result of the Katrina damage changing lot ownership, but I am not in the area so I cannot say.

Recommend you see if there are any active clubs in your area and good luck.

swa

HI DIGGRDADDY I LIVE OVER IN METAIRIE I JUST RETIRED IN AUG. DUSTED OFF MY PIONEER 202 STILL HAVE TO LEARN A LOT. WORK CAUSE THAT... BUT THERE IS A FEW PLACES HERE I,VE BEEN WANTING TO GIVE IT A TRY AT. IF LIKE TO WRITE ,MY E-MAIL IS [email protected] HAVE A GREAT DAY NOW !

There are a couple clubs out that way that I know of...one in Slidel for sure,a friend in our club here in Baton Rouge is a member in it too.

here's the Slidel club http://www.shrra.net/

There's a group on FB that hunt New Orleans parks regularly too...Metal Detecting New Orleans...they seem like nice friendly guys who aren't shy of passing out invites to hunt with them.

Last edited:
Just moved to Marrero, LA. Maybe we can hunt together sometime. Pretty new at this also. Hopefully you'll see this post.

Hi, Welcome, I'm Don in Slidell. Don't know much about The West Bank. I'd like to try some areas of the upper 9th Ward around St. Claude Ave. from the Industrial Canal to Franklin Ave. I grew up in that area in the 50's 60's and 70's. But it's not advised to go by yourself! The area has gotten somewhat better as far as crime in the past 15 or so years but crime is still there and metal detecting alienates you too much from your surroundings, and by yourself you'd be an easy target. Have Fun but he carefull! PS The history of N.O. is fablous. For instance "The French Market" had almost all ( if not all) Italian produce vendors when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom