Rutus alter 71 and concentric coil

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Spent quite a few hours today with Rutus, with 9x8" concentric coil attached.

Hunted in my detector proving grounds this morning and this evening.

The Rutus is definitely one of the detector models I rank in top tier for being one I would choose to salvage any and all nonferous targets out of a polluted site of nails and iron.
Hunting behind some other great detectors,, ain't easy.

The Rutus detector using the concentric coil, the screen presentation doesn't seem to act or mirror how the Rutus behaves with the 11" dd coil attached.
What I mean by this, using the 11" dd coil a user over a challenged target may indeed show the " stick man" I call it on the screen to have a little curly cue as it is displayed.
I still haven't seen the stick man using concentric coil behave like this.

A user using Rutus for the first few times, will likely IMO think this detector model is nothing special, almost could be labeled as beep and dig. Definitely not advanced.
Well, after today I can say if anyone thinks this they are dead WRONG.
Why?
The Rutus does something few other detectors I have run can do.
What is this exactly?
Rutus using the concentric coil today, if a person will listen, there is loads of tone nuance as far as how a nonferrous is reported amongst the iron.

The keys to being successful with Rutus in iron, based on my use so far is:::
Listen to the edges of the nonferrous tone,,,how clean are the edges, and is the iron tone echo sounding(reverberating)
If the iron tone is not reverberating, and the edges of higher tone is somewhat clean = very suspect target.

Now, the meter of this detector I rate as top notch for making dig or no dig decisions when used in conjunction with the tone.
Iron wrap is a lot of times very exposed.
And keeps a person moving along.

Most of my hunting today was with detector set to highest freq 18.4khz, mask setting 2, 0 disc, sens 81, reactive setting 4.

This morning after having a dry run for a while as far as finding a nonferous target, I upped the reactive setting to 5, and didn't even take 3 steps and bingo, a target, sounded highly challenged. And Inswitched back to level 4 reactive setting. Swept the suspect undisturbed target,,,I rate what I heard here, if Inwouldn't have already discovered using 5 reactive setting, even knowing where this suspect target was,,no way no how would I have had the least bit of interest in this target had I swung over with ideal coil height, coil position, and approach angle.
Turn out to be a piece of harmonica reed,,and upon digging Inswept hole with pinpointer , got another hit slightly off to the side and deeper,,,I thought maybe I had cut the reed in two, but it was a sizable piece of iron instead.

This afternoon, still running in reactive 4 setting,,,I seen some very good depth on some lead bullets (smaller musket balls)
Rutus likes lead, even irregular shaped too.

Rutus btw, out of all Vlf detectors I have run,,,,if you got any copper wire in a site,,Rutus kills it. Don't know the why behind, it just does.

Now, I also need to say, I believe Rutus offers by the way the iron and nonferrous tones interact, a rather wide margin for a detectorist to use to gauge dig no dig decisions. And throw in the meter presentation,,,a good overall setup to pluck nonferous out of iron and nails.
You won't hear many folks talk much about putting much stock in a meter on a Vlf detector for seeking nonferous objects in such sites,,,but I can say this about Rutus.

Now with this said, could a person if they depend on some thing the meter display shows them,,,could a user not dig a nonferous target, one that is providing tone? Yes

But I feel deep down, Rutus meter if data if studied closely for overall tendencies
when a suspect target is located,,,some worthy decisions can be made.

This detector needs a smaller dd coil offered.
It is that good, I can envision even more great performance if one comes to fruition.

Thanks TNSS! I always read posts on the Rutus, especially your posts, as it seems to get great reviews. This detector sounds like a good candidate for what I'm looking for as per my post below about picking out coins below a bed of nails.

Thanks TNSS! I always read posts on the Rutus, especially your posts, as it seems to get great reviews. This detector sounds like a good candidate for what I'm looking for as per my post below about picking out coins below a bed of nails.

Yes, this unit for coil size(s) ranks high in the iron hunting department.
Good build too, no nonsense.
Not pretty, not ugly,,right down the middle.
I don't have wireless module, Donselll who is meme er here does I think.

Biggest gripe with this detector for me = external speaker sound quality.
But even yesterday I used external speaker and was really able to ou the Rutus to its limits I believe as far as finding nonferrous hiding in the iron and nails.

This may sound a little strange but here is how I use Rutus in an already pounded site (old).
When I get a tone, I start looking for ways to discredit it.
First off, if the backwards C looking presentation comes in the screen. Notta= big ferrous, but then I circle around this big ferrous,,this is where things can hide veing closer to this kind of object.

So if no backwards C presentation, how does the presentation look, is the presentation try to lay flatter on screen with sweeps.
If yes, very high probability of iron.

If no here, then start studying studying tone as far as is the iron tone reverberating, or is iron tone around edges trying to superimpose the actual higher tone.
If yes very high probability of ferrous object.

You see this detector, a user can actually go back and forth between screen presentation and tone(s) presentation and derive conclusions.

This time when the actual high tone is sounding off, a person can listen closely with several sweeps with coil in what seems like is the ultimate position for best audio,, and close you eyes and see if you can hear an actual portion of the tone that is clearer sounding with the what can be ultra ultra small period of transition where the nonferrous audio is coming through (consistent on all sweeps).
So basically can you hear the detector transitioning tone wise?
A user needs to ask themself, why aren't I digging this suspect target.
Not, why am I?

This detector btw, I feel is also one of the hardest to describe what a really mask nonferrous sounds like.

Deus I can describe easier.

I will use this detector some more, and just maybe I can watch and listen, and hopefully put things better into perspective as far as how a good target sounds vs a dud (ferrous).

I have heard the Rutus is quite popular in UK and maybe other European countries.
Well, if they are witnessing what I have, I can understand why.

I really enjoy using the Rutus, but I don't have near the experience with other detectors that TNSS has.

I decided to get the Garrett ZLink rather than the Rutus wireless module. There was a customs concern with the Rutus option and the Garrett works very well on both of my detectors so it made sense to me.

Another mid to late afternoon hunt with Rutus and concentric coil.

This Rutus detector is hotter than a pistol on lower conductors.
Even the thinnest of finds with even higher conductivy.

I was surprised today to pull numerous finds where I have been pounding with Deus both 9 and 11" coils on and off, mostly on for the last 4 plus years.

I ran reactive setting at level 5 the majority of the day.
Btw, the tone provided using reactive 5 is not overwhelmingly short either.
Using the rest of the settings I mention in the above post.

I didn't mention gain setting above, it was at 60.

This site has a big elm tree for a landmark.
I know pretty much where I have spent the most time here in this site in the past.

I dug very little iron.

Only 2 targets today were clean hits, the rest I have to really focus and listen, but after digging sure enough I pulled the nonferrous.

This setup with this detector using concentric coil can indeed hunt behind Xp Deus using either LF coils 9 or 11".

I hit a target where the old house, and prior I believe old court house that stood back in the late 1700 s. Iron city, 76 in the window, was at this time running reactive level 4.
Upon digging, at the 6" mark I couldn't believe just how thin a nonferrous target the Rutus had detected and provide such a strong signal. A piece of foil even thinner than paper thin.

So far, based on my use of this detector,,,now I don't think I have any hammered coins in my sites,,,,but so far I think the Rutus trumps Deus on average for the thinner targets. I think Rutus with concentric coil just maybe a deadly tot lot comb.

I remember seeing I think Ghounds video air testing Rutus with a gold chain I think.
Well, I can say for certain,,a big part of the performance depicted in Ghound's video is being seen by me on undisturbed targets in the ground.

Here is some thing I failed to mention in my first post in this thread.
If you get the suspect target, you locate and remove dirt yet target is still in the hole or still buried somewhat.
More times than not, a user who sweeps such a scenario,,,very very likely if a person watches meter and listens to tone to think you " indeed" are trying to recover a ferrous target.
You think this,,,better think again.
Stay with your first instinct here,,,dig out the target.
You will be surprised a few times I guarantee it.
And after a few of these surprises,,,game on.

This Rutus company bears watching,,if their next release is better than the Rutus alter 71,,,LOOK OUT.

This detector in my opinion,,,anyone who does archaeological kinda detecting.
I highly recommend.
You can run to the iron with Rutus, not away.

Also, I will eat some crow here too.
I was thinking Rutus should have released Rutus 71 with the 11" dd and a smaller DD coil,,not the concentric they did.

Wrong.
This concentric coil is might mighty fine when attached to the detector.
Now even saying this, I do hope, and the word is a smaller DD coil is coming.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It defo likes low conductors and mishaped items, i found loads of small items deep.
I've noticed on my permissions the Rutus was far more tolerant in it's GB than the Deus on changing ground conditions, it's not as reliant on a perfect GB to give near max performance, the Deus on the other hand is.

I just bought the Rutus in Fontwell Ingland I'm traveling in the Uk I really appreciate the feed back experience of Tnss,gownd and others I can hardly wait to go back to Mexico and try it pounded sites with Deus

I just bought the Rutus in Fontwell Ingland I'm traveling in the Uk I really appreciate the feed back experience of Tnss,gownd and others I can hardly wait to go back to Mexico and try it pounded sites with Deus

Did you get the 2 coil package with concentric coil?

If so, you are fixing to have a blast in those real old sites.
I would almost kill to get to hunt Mexico with its old history.

I look forward to hearing from you later, on your thought of the detector.

Alright,
Another 3 hour hunt in my detector proving grounds.

Really pushed the Rutus to its limits, trying to eek out some nonferrous targets.

I purposely tried to rely solely on using tone presentation to dig suspect targets.
(I did peek at screen presentation) but didn't let this drive my decision to dig or not one iota.
The result,,more iron was dug.
Now, going back and remembering what the screen presentation was tellin me as far as a dig decision,,all but one would have been NO DIG decisions hence Inwoudln't have dug hardly any iron whatsoever.

A special note here.
The last hour of my hunting approximately, I went back to using the screen presentation in do junction with audio provided.
This leads to a question here.

If Rutus screen presentation is trying to lay down more horizontally and tries to switch sides, is this a 100 % give away indicating iron?
No
Now not all suspect targets will yield the same tone audibly yet these different suspect targets will be linked a similar screen presentation.
So what to do?
Use your pinpoint button.
Try to pinpoint area where tone is emitting from, you get a tight pinpoint,,,rather than a broader signal= dig.
What I am finding here usually this is a lower conductor can be smaller.
And what I can't say for sure,,,is it masking causing this what could be a erroneous screen presentation for nonferrous, or is it the ground minerals and or the shape, density of target causing??

I can say, out of all Vlf detectors I have used in sites riddled with iron,,there are 3 detectors that stand out for me (using pinpoint function) for providing tighter signals on nonferrous objects even if the nonferrous objects it seems are heavily compromised by ferrous materials.
These detectors are Rutus Alter 71, Nokta Relic, Nokta Impact.

The pinpoint function the way it interacts, works on Rutus definitely gives a user some additional info here to make finds in polluted sites.
Now when I make the statements above,,the detectors are all running at higher freqs.

Note
So far I have not dug one single nonferrous target where meter reading was hung or stayed in the iron range of detector,,,and yet the nonferrous target produced good to decent tone.

Last edited:
Another hunt with Rutus using concentric coil.
My detector proving grounds site.

The Rutus detector how ever the manufacturer engineered the meter for how it works in conjunction to Tones provided when hunting in polluted sites= stellar.
This based on my experiences using all the other units I have.

Meter use builds confidence.
Meter use allows user to dig less ferrous.

I have been trying to dig a reporting target whose is in the iron range, yet is a nonferrous target,,,so far I can't do.

This morning I got over this one suspect target.
Marked with a cigarette pack, walked 65 ft to truck to get shovel.
Went back to suspect target, lifted cigarette pack, folks wouldn't believe how long it took me to actually locate this suspect target again.

Dug down, at 5" one of those small round things,,horse tack.
After target retrieval swept hole with pinpointer, hit some thing else.
Just a little deeper and off to the side a medium sized square nail.

When sweeping this target, before digging, a very small angular of attack required to get any signal for me to even stop and listen.

Was running reactive level 5.

Right now, and I did do a few target signal comparisons, and again this morning.
Mask setting 2 seems is a good compromise to use to sniff out the goods out of iron pits.

Mask level 0 might buy you a little more depth(per each reactive level setting), but what I heard when comparing 0 and 2 levels,,level 2 is my first choice.
And will be until I see or hear some thing different to make me change my mind.
All of my hunting using concentric coil has been with hot rock setting to neutral.

I feel I mesh with Rutus 71 very well.

Alright,
Folks can probably tell by now I like the Rutus. Lol

There is something I need to say here, so folks aren't mislead.

I have commented on myself not being able to dig a nonferrous target reading in the iron range with Rutus.
This is still true.
But I need to apply a disclaimer here.
The way I have my Rutus set up tone wise here I think is helping me to distinguish iron better tonally, and yes I look at meter to verify/confirm my thoughts.

Rutus iron range " on paper" is 0-30.
I have my tone break with a mid tone coming in at vdi 21.
Now I do hear some suspect targets reporting in the 21-30 range with iffy, questionable detailed tone, and have dug quite a few of these for verification= ferrous every time so far.
I have the highest tone set tone break wise at 80.
So this here may be causing some of the iron falses to sing higher,,I like that.
I actually went back to site again since posting my last post above for 1.5hours.
This time ran Rutus at reactive level 6.
I thought I finally found my first nonferrous reporting in the iron range.

Here's the scoop.
I when sweeping got a tone that sparked my attention.
So I kept moving coil around, at first Inwas seeing 22 in the meter.
I persistently keep moving coil around trying to find the best spot of detection.
I started getting the meter to read 28-30, again I kept with babiest of steps kept looking for the target, to try and see if meter would go any higher.
I finally got the meter with coil position to give me a nice stick man in the meter with a 32 reading.
That was enough for me to dig.
At 4-5" deep the smallest of horse tack again.

This is 3 pieces of this stuff I've dug in this site,,,funny thing, in the course of the last 4 plus years using Deus here.
I never dug the first of these.

I haven't decided which avenue Inwill take to post pics, since photobucket is TU for me.
Maybe I will try and post some pics, to show just what I've been finding with Rutus in this pounded site.
Now, folks I am not insinuating here my finds pouch is runneth over here using Rutus,,,but I am very pleased to see what I have been finding here with it.

I may indeed try and lower my tone break for mid tone to around 17 and hunt this site some.

The reason, to try and trap, some more nonferrous.
Meaning be able to be alerted to a possible nonferrous with coil out of ideal position more.

Now doing this, may indeed cause me to have to study more targets initially, and yes likely I will dismiss more too, but might help me latch on so some more nonferrous.

I here, even by posting what I have DO NOT claim to be a master of Rutus alter 71 detector.

Hey TNSS would love to see some pics of this machine especially the controls portion.

There was a video I found done by another person.
Will see if I can find.
IMO, Rutus is probably the best set up menu wise, adjustment wise of any detector I have used, or owned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILr5_8phwo

One thing this video I don't thinks shows.
Let's say you want to change a certain setting on the fly.
Like reactive setting.
If you to the reactive setting page and change reactive setting, or scroll cursor to reactive setting, when you are hunting, when you open menu you will already be in position to change reactive setting.

Freq change user will be prompted to reground balance.
Hot rock setting adjustment will also prompt for GB too.
The rest of the settings can be changed I beleive and nomGB prompt given,,I don't think performance is compromised either.

In case folks don't know about this thread.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=247145

Rutus manual.
Reminder there is a 1.1 version on new units purchased.
My unit version 1
I see for my purposes no reason to have version update.

http://www.rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/21

Version update info.
https://englishsubtitles.online/videos/rutus-alter-71-software-update-v1-dot-1-subtitles-96227

Last edited:
Another outing.
2 hours long.
Since I have several hours running the concentric coil recently in this site I have.
I decided to put the 11" dd on and run in the site.

Glad I did too.

Granted the 11" dd is a bigger coil than the concentric 9x8",, I noted the following.

I noticed right out the gate Rutus was tonally more noisy when sweeping.
I was running the same settings 81 sens, 0 disc, Mask 2, max freq 18.4 khz, reactive 4 and 5.
Detector not near as smooth at reporting.
So, I dialed up mask setting to 4 and it help a little.
Remember depending on your reactive setting,,,Rutus programming will only let you go so high mask setting wise based on your reactive setting.

If I didn't know better I would say based just on my experiences in this one site,,Rutus was designed around concentric coil vs DD coil.
Just my opinion.

Also I feel some of the screen data as far as reliability is taken away using the dd coil vs concentric.

I didn't find one single nonferrous find either.

I do now though have enough info to suggest.

You want to chase behind Xp Deus where LF coils have been used.
Using a Rutus the odds on favorite IMO is to use the Concentric coil.

Now remember this site I have been crawling around with Deus for hours on end using both 9" and 11" LF coils.

So a tough task for Rutus.
If Rutus would have went first with 11" dd coil, it's finds rate likely higher.

Now, I can also rate another detector here too in comparing to Deus.

Here we go.

With Deus wearing 11" dd LF coil, Nokta Impact wearing 7x11" dd coil, Rutus wearing 11" dd coil.
How do these detectors stack up hunting in this one site (full of iron) for audio smoothness at reporting?
1. Xp Deus
2. Nokta Impact
3. Rutus alter 71

Now Deus fit with 9" LF coil obviously would still remain in pole position.
If we fit the Rutus with 9x8" concentric it would move into a very close tie with Impact wearing stock 7x11" coil.

Rutus using concentric coil in iron sites much more enjoyable for me vs the 11" dd coil.

There was a video I found done by another person.
Will see if I can find.
IMO, Rutus is probably the best set up menu wise, adjustment wise of any detector I have used, or owned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILr5_8phwo

One thing this video I don't thinks shows.
Let's say you want to change a certain setting on the fly.
Like reactive setting.
If you to the reactive setting page and change reactive setting, or scroll cursor to reactive setting, when you are hunting, when you open menu you will already be in position to change reactive setting.

Freq change user will be prompted to reground balance.
Hot rock setting adjustment will also prompt for GB too.
The rest of the settings can be changed I beleive and nomGB prompt given,,I don't think performance is compromised either.

In case folks don't know about this thread.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=247145

Rutus manual.
Reminder there is a 1.1 version on new units purchased.
My unit version 1
I see for my purposes no reason to have version update.

http://www.rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/21

Version update info.
https://englishsubtitles.online/videos/rutus-alter-71-software-update-v1-dot-1-subtitles-96227

Thank you for the link. Seems like a very interesting machine!

Another outing.
2 hours long.
Since I have several hours running the concentric coil recently in this site I have.
I decided to put the 11" dd on and run in the site.

Glad I did too.

Granted the 11" dd is a bigger coil than the concentric 9x8",, I noted the following.

I noticed right out the gate Rutus was tonally more noisy when sweeping.
I was running the same settings 81 sens, 0 disc, Mask 2, max freq 18.4 khz, reactive 4 and 5.
Detector not near as smooth at reporting.
So, I dialed up mask setting to 4 and it help a little.
Remember depending on your reactive setting,,,Rutus programming will only let you go so high mask setting wise based on your reactive setting.

If I didn't know better I would say based just on my experiences in this one site,,Rutus was designed around concentric coil vs DD coil.
Just my opinion.

Also I feel some of the screen data as far as reliability is taken away using the dd coil vs concentric.

I didn't find one single nonferrous find either.

I do now though have enough info to suggest.

You want to chase behind Xp Deus where LF coils have been used.
Using a Rutus the odds on favorite IMO is to use the Concentric coil.

Now remember this site I have been crawling around with Deus for hours on end using both 9" and 11" LF coils.

So a tough task for Rutus.
If Rutus would have went first with 11" dd coil, it's finds rate likely higher.

Now, I can also rate another detector here too in comparing to Deus.

Here we go.

With Deus wearing 11" dd LF coil, Nokta Impact wearing 7x11" dd coil, Rutus wearing 11" dd coil.
How do these detectors stack up hunting in this one site (full of iron) for audio smoothness at reporting?
1. Xp Deus
2. Nokta Impact
3. Rutus alter 71

Now Deus fit with 9" LF coil obviously would still remain in pole position.
If we fit the Rutus with 9x8" concentric it would move into a very close tie with Impact wearing stock 7x11" coil.

Rutus using concentric coil in iron sites much more enjoyable for me vs the 11" dd coil.

Those are interesting results, TNSS. I need to spend more time with the concentric coil.

Thanks partly to the excellent detailed reviews written by TNSS, I've sourced and am also using a Rutus Alter 71 here in foothills of NC.

I'm a long time coin hunter. Other past and present detectors include various Whites, Garretts, Minelab among other several other brand machines.

I find using this detector and the concentric coil for coin hunting nothing short of oustanding. It is simply one of the best, if not the best I've ever used. Great separation and even better ID characteristics have meant more coins/hour average than any other detector I've owned over the past 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom