Looking for lost WWII Treasure

Nick's post

The frequency of your same story, and posts are starting to really smack of spam...

I was intrigued the first couple times..

But...

<°)))>{

Nick reposted part of his earlier post because he had attched his blog. address to the first ones and the moderators moved and consolidated them to the area with blogs. His new post does't have the blog address on it , and he has included some new pictures in it as well.

It's all extremely interesting to me. I love seeing the photos and hearing about his adventure.

I don't understand why Tom thinks it's necessary to !!!! on every post Nick makes. Whether there really is a treasure or not makes no difference. Just like us nowadays, it's all about the search.

Treasure map and markings

On some of the treasure hunting sites and Philippine treasure articles i have see a number of marking that were said to me left by the Japanese to mark a area. Some on rocks , some carved on trees and tree stumps. Some were to warn of bobby traps . Did you end up finding any thing in the big hole you were digging in the pictures? I would be worried about all the booby traps they left behind that could burry you or flood you ,if you didn't know the right way to get in.

On some of the treasure hunting sites and Philippine treasure articles i have see a number of marking that were said to me left by the Japanese to mark a area. Some on rocks , some carved on trees and tree stumps. ....

The list goes much longer than that. There was once a video someone posted of what they felt were various "marks" in the jungle there. And ... the person must've had quite an imagination. Any funny shaped tree. Any out of place rock, or squiggle on a rock. Any scratch on a tree, etc....

Japanese treasure from all over Asia

There is a site that has been around for a while dealing with Japanese treasure from World War II if you want to check it out lots of information on it. The south east asia treasure connection . www.tseatc.com Another good site for those World War II history buffs out there is www.corregidor.org lots of information on Corregidor our main defense position on the Philippines during the war.

Hi Thanks for the comment. I guess you've probably never been faced with trying to search an area hundreds of square miles for treasure. You need to find any clues trying to narrow down a search area. I always relied on local stories-- especially from old villagers who were during the occupation. The old guy pointing to the rock was there during the war. The Japanese soldiers stationed in the area tended to be localized around the towns so any extraordinary place/sites I'd explore-- especially in conjunction with a story of the rock map. We dug in the pool/hole for a day. In this particular location we found lot's WWII Japanese gear and two gold religious medallions. I had a feeling that we should of dug deeper, but we just didn't have enough heavy equipment. I'd heard a couple of years later that Japanese nationals had explored this portion of the stream and used scuba equipment and construction equipment.

Sorry. But the moderator removed my first couple of postings because I listed my book website. I'm trying to stay within bounds of the rules. Cheers Nick

You'd be surprised how many stories/marks on trees/weirdly shaped rocks I was told about and marched hours to see them. There were a crazy number of scammers and con artists wanting to sell you information. The two things I had going for me was that, early on, the areas where I went were badlands and the lowlanders were afraid to go up there. Fortunately, I had my mountain tribesmen who were feared. I've heard the remote primitive areas I hunted aren't so remote anymore-- deforestation, mining and folks looking for treasure has raised havoc on the environment and the native peoples. At least I got to see it before it was ruined.

I doubt you would know the area if you went back.

You'd be surprised how many stories/marks on trees/weirdly shaped rocks I was told about and marched hours to see them. There were a crazy number of scammers and con artists wanting to sell you information. The two things I had going for me was that, early on, the areas where I went were badlands and the lowlanders were afraid to go up there. Fortunately, I had my mountain tribesmen who were feared. I've heard the remote primitive areas I hunted aren't so remote anymore-- deforestation, mining and folks looking for treasure has raised havoc on the environment and the native peoples. At least I got to see it before it was ruined.

I am sure the area looks totally diffrent than it did during the 1980's when you where there. Have you ever considered going back for a look to see what it looks like now? Wonder if you could bring the same area up on Google Earth.

.... There were a crazy number of scammers and con artists wanting to sell you information. ...

There has been folks coming on to forums with maps to the supposed treasures. And I have suspected ....... after reading about enough of them .... that they are a "dime-a-dozen". And had a suspicion that they are spurious to be sold or generate great camp-fire stories.

Yet in each and every case, the person with the map is 100% certain they are genuine, bullet-proof true. Because they were told that the source of the map was some soldier on detail that was there when the treasure was buried, etc.... Carefully passed down through the family generations till now. And ... you can buy this genuine map for $xx no problem. Who can argue with such stellar lineages ? :roll:

First hand accounts from villagers would be lots of help

Hi Thanks for the comment. I guess you've probably never been faced with trying to search an area hundreds of square miles for treasure. You need to find any clues trying to narrow down a search area. I always relied on local stories-- especially from old villagers who were during the occupation. The old guy pointing to the rock was there during the war. The Japanese soldiers stationed in the area tended to be localized around the towns so any extraordinary place/sites I'd explore-- especially in conjunction with a story of the rock map. We dug in the pool/hole for a day. In this particular location we found lot's WWII Japanese gear and two gold religious medallions. I had a feeling that we should of dug deeper, but we just didn't have enough heavy equipment. I'd heard a couple of years later that Japanese nationals had explored this portion of the stream and used scuba equipment and construction equipment.

I know my wife's grand mother told us about their family hiding in the hills when the Japanese were in the area. Even though they were in a remote area it was often nessary to hide since the Japanese were brutal. When i went there the first time in 1989 my wife told me about a coupple of old Japanese men living in the area , that didn't go home after the war. I never saw them but thinking back now, it would have been interesting to talk to them. At least you didn't come away empty handed from your from your dig. You had adventures you will rember for the rest of your life , that in it's self is a treasure.:detector::digginahole::workforgold:

Mountain tribes men

How did you develope a relation ship with the mountain tribes men there ? I imagine most of them didn't speak much English and there are over 40 languages spoke in the Philippines. I am sure at that time they were still fairly cut off from the life of the low lands .

Nick's post on treasure huninng in the 1980's Philippines

Looking forward to seeing more of Nick's post and hearing more about his real life adventures treasure hunting in the Philippines in the 1980's. Really enjoy the pictures and hearing about what he found back then . You couldn't do that today over there with out getting in trouble , lots of new rules and regulations, with local authorities. Nick was in the right place at the right time to have a great adventure. Going out exploring in the mountain jungles out laying Clark AIR Base would have been considered dangerous at best and foolhardy by most.

Pig trap warning

Yeah lots of bad dudes as treasure scammers. One guy whom I followed to the mountains tried to kill us after his scam played out. He lit the scrub forest on fire and we ran for our lives from a wall of flames. Now this photo (attached) shows a trail marker that even a puti lalaki (white man) like me can understand. It pointed to a wild pig trap. Some with a pit lined with "pungi" sharpened bamboo stakes or others more deadly with a wired live WWII grenade. Still-- you had to know the arrows pointed to the trap-- not just that was the direction you needed to go.:lol: Reason number 10,000 my Negrito pals were invaluable.

Attachments

• marker showing pig trap.jpg
    marker showing pig trap.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,176
What happened to the guy that tried to kill you ?

So what happened to the guy that tried to scam you then tried to kill you ? Did he get away with it or dissapear from the area. I doubt your tribes men would have taken that very well, did they get revenge?

Back
Top Bottom