Does MDing make you more money conscious?

Doesn't make me more money conscious but it def made me conscious of my surroundings. For example, I've been driving from CT to NY for years through a very historic area to our summer home up there. Before I got into detecting it was like I had tunnel vision and never noticed any of the old homes, stone walls, cellar holes, etc that I pass.

Now i can't drive anywhere without thinking "oh mean i wanna dig there..and there...and there"

It's just like fishing. I drive past a body of water and think "oh many i bet there's some giant bass in there"

the only money I ever have is change. We go somewhere and there's change, wife hands it to me or my 12yr old daughter. As others have said, I do check change for silver etc.. I rarely need money for myself (unless i'm buying something for wife/kids/dogs), so I'm not more/less money conscious.

Funny to see my daughter stick her hand out for change instead of letting me get it.... nice to see i'm raising another digger/md'er.

Since I've been MDing, I've started separating my copper pennies from zincs. All coppers I get in change go into the jar at home and zincs get spent. After finding so many of our practically BIO DEGRADABLE zinc pennies in the ground, I value them less than ever. The coppers I value more than ever. :yes:

I'm still dealing with the initial outlay of cash for my machine, my scoop and related accessories. So I'll have to cut back on other things for a while. At least with a hobby like metal detecting on a beach you have a chance of finding gold and other valuables. Some outlays of cash simply depreciate and generate no income. A good detector and good scoop at least have a decent resale value.

I honestly think it makes me more money conscious, so I spend less for nonessential items.

Other than gas, the hobby didn't, but the wife and I paying off student loans certainly did. For several years now I generally try to dovetail interests. When I had my last motorcycle I used to bungee my ACE 250 onto the rear turn signals when going for a scoot. Now I will often toss some fishing rods in the trunk, or an axe for an evening camp fire etc. The warden likes to shoot arrows at targets with her youth compound bow, so that comes at times also. And many times when she has something to do there is no complaining about my packing a detector. It is a type of hobby\interest multi tasking.

Back
Top Bottom