Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Smile Build it and they will come

By the mid 1800's Saratoga was flourishing with wealthy Americans and Internationals and was a hotbed of both tourism and gambling. The oldest racetrack in U.S. history is the Saratoga Race Course. August 3rd 1863 two men of considerable wealth and horse owners had built a track and held thoroughbred horse races for 4 days. What John Hunter and William Travers started back then has since grown to a 40 days/ six week season today. In 1864 the Saratoga Racing Association started the "Travers Stakes" race, where today the finest horses all over the world still come to Saratoga and compete for a $1,000,000 purse. [now called the "midsummer derby"]

My Dad took me to my first racetrack back in the early 70's and I've been hooked ever since. Tomorrow starts the 149th meet for Saratoga and as I sit here typing away I can't help but have that x-mas eve kind of feeling. Not the kind where I have to finish my shopping but more of what tomorrow has to bring. I just want one good win this summer, enough for an AT-PRO

Just curious if many of our members play the ponies or have made it to Saratoga Race Course?

Goodluck and have a great summer, AL
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Elite Member

I"m not much of a race fan, but you are right, it is a beautiful track. I have also been to Churchill Downs and I live about 20 miles from Belmont.
My wife on the other hand, knows quite a bit about racing. She was a manager at OTB for 27 years.
Good luck at the track.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by poppoplou View post
I"m not much of a race fan, but you are right, it is a beautiful track. I have also been to Churchill Downs and I live about 20 miles from Belmont.
My wife on the other hand, knows quite a bit about racing. She was a manager at OTB for 27 years.
Good luck at the track.
I have never been to Belmont, but it's on my bucket list.
I play that track on my online acct. and got quite lucky two weeks ago just playing numbers. Hit a superfecta for $1400 for a .20 cent bet
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Picking numbers is the way I play. I couldn't handicap if my life depended on it.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Don't suppose they would let you swing a detector there??!?