Help me OBN, you're my only hope UPDATE

zeemang

Forum Supporter
:lol::lol::lol:
Anyway, my excal has started having a senior moments again. It is probably about ten years old now and used hard and I have managed to repair everything myself until now. Changed headphones, changed coil, etc, not new to opening these up to have a look.
In disc it is just super chattery to the point you can not distinguish between a signal and the rest of it, and in pinpoint it just screams at you. Upon opening it up there was some noticable water damage on the lower board. I am not sure if the circuit is printed on the green stuff that has flaked off or actually inside the board. On a scale of repair-ability am I looking at a "Sure you can fix that" or a "Well, it's been a good machine, time to leave it for dead?"
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190212_114036.jpg
    20190212_114036.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
The problem with salt water damage is it has visible damage....but it’s as much about the not visible damage that continues.

I spent 5 years of life life out of High School making those boards green (Solder Mask) the only real purpose for it is to provide a surface the solder will not stick to when they load the components on the circuit board, the flaking of that off the board probably will not cause any harm unless it grounds against something. That said if salt water damaged that part of the board what did it to to the components that are soldered on to it :?:

Rip

Hope it turns out better than what Shell and Carrot think...

Attachments

• Zeemang cartoon.jpg
    Zeemang cartoon.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
How many times over has that Excal paid for itself Zee?
Might be time to move on...:(
Just know that we're here for you.lol

Bad coil?

I would start with felixs suggestion on the coil if you happen to have another laying around. The green is like T-man said. Best to paint it with something to cover it back up. But I would disconnect the coil and see if the threshold smooths out, then if it does try another coil on her. Let us know what happens...

Thanks for all the responses! Kapi, lets hope it doesn't come to it... Aquaman, MANY times over!
I will cut back some of the coil wire and check if there is corrosion going down inside the wire covering, need to do that anyway for a fresh connection.
Will try as suggested and see what happens and keep you all up to date.

Good luck Z! Hope your able to repair it :yes: I just did some repairs on my Sov.GT, replaced a few switches and a pot..

It didn't used to be the case, but the current Minelab service guys are fast and good and I felt their price was fair. I have 2 gutted Excals I mess with, but the one I sent in for a new coil works great. One man's opinion/experience, but I have herd the same from many others.

Well, I painted the back of the pcb board where the green was pealing off with clear nail polish in an effort to seal it up. Drilled out the endcaps to redo the wire connections and tested before connecting the coil, nice steady threshold humming along. So, boards are good. Next i cut back about 6 inches of coil wire, there was corrosion on the wires for the first inch or two, guess it leached down the wires from my previous leak. Got coil wires soldered back in place, NO JOKES about my soldering skills please, stress and 3 cups of coffee do not make for a steady hand :lol::lol::lol:
Coil connected and bench tested before assembly, nice steady threshold, yeah!
Just did the final part before getting the guts back in the tube, which is to do an epoxy pour in the endcap sealing the wires in the cap. Will let dry overnight and reassemble tomorrow...
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20190213_123635.jpg
    20190213_123635.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG-20190213-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190213-WA0003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 309
:run1:

Attachments

• 77512ebd-1012-47bd-8db8-21c6892891db.jpg
    77512ebd-1012-47bd-8db8-21c6892891db.jpg