New Belt and Pouch

Being what my wife calls, inverted pear-shaped,or NBS (No Butt Syndrome... The struggle is Real), I have that problem. I've gone to using a shoulder sling bag for the local parks so I don't scare the kids & moms. :lol:

Is that one of the drop leg pouches from Amazon?

I had been using a Husky tool belt with a separate holster for my pinpointer and another for my digger since I started detecting. I've been wanting to get something with a little more room and something that could hold all of my gear one place.

I ended up getting the Digger Supply Pack Mule pouch from Colonial Metal Detectors and I pic

I did something similar over a year ago. One of those Chicom special quick release tactical belts and a Chicom ammo dump bag. My pinponter and Lesche spade both came with sheathes. So all three are on teh belt. Best set up ive ever weilded. Easy on, easy off and adjustable on the fly.

MyRig

I too tried various belts for a short while and had problems with adjusting them over vests and jackets. Remembering my Marine Corps days (loooong ago now), I visited an Army-Navy store and found a pistol belt and Y harness. The harness keeps the belt from sliding down. Belt has ample room for my digging tool, pointer, a Garrett finds bag, a canteen and ammo pouch, the latter holds my keeper bag, magnifier, toothbrush and small water bottle.

Being what my wife calls, inverted pear-shaped,or NBS (No Butt Syndrome... The struggle is Real), I have that problem. I've gone to using a shoulder sling bag for the local parks so I don't scare the kids & moms. :lol:

I know this is an old thread, but do you happen to have a link to that pack? I like it.

I did something similar over a year ago. One of those Chicom special quick release tactical belts and a Chicom ammo dump bag. My pinponter and Lesche spade both came with sheathes. So all three are on teh belt. Best set up ive ever weilded. Easy on, easy off and adjustable on the fly.

I will have to check out these chicom quick release belts for diving. I need to be able to shed my weight belt quickly in the event of an emergency.

I've got a DeWalt Framers suspension rig I'm going to try next fall just to see how it feels. I think it shouldn't be too hard to rig a carrier for the Predator shovel on it as well.

I generally don't walk more than a 1/4 mile or so from the truck, but between the gear, a couple bottles of water, and the inevitable scrap iron I carry until I get to a point to unload, it can get fairly heavy on a single waist belt. I'm sure I can find something to put in those "snack-sized" pockets :lol:

Loaded with tools, it's pretty comfortable. Gave $80 last year when I helped neighbor build a new cabin. I see they're almost $30 more now.

ETA: I think Kobalt (Lowes) has a cheaper model

iu

For warmer weather use, while at Lowes this AM, I picked-up a padded belt. By the time I load my pouch with necessities, water, then 10 lbs of scrap iron I inevitably end-up digging, the belt cuts into my sides.

Have the pouch swapped over, so anxious to use it and see how it feels.

$22

15925849.jpg

We don’t really get pouches of the quality of the Digger Supply over here in the UK so I use a converted tool pouch on a US ALICE style belt and harness.

Since loosing my waist sometime in the early 2000’s, the harness make the belt set up practical…I now use it as an anchor point for a bungee to take the weight of my Nox and 15” coil.

Attachments

• A83F90E3-836D-4430-955F-C5365B9239C0.jpg
    A83F90E3-836D-4430-955F-C5365B9239C0.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 401
We don’t really get pouches of the quality of the Digger Supply over here in the UK so I use a converted tool pouch on a US ALICE style belt and harness.

Since loosing my waist sometime in the early 2000’s, the harness make the belt set up practical…I now use it as an anchor point for a bungee to take the weight of my Nox and 15” coil.

Looks like a great system. I can certainly see how the suspension setups would be more comfortable. I've got the summer to prepare mine for fall hunting, and adding a way to carry my shovel will be the main addition.

Had time to set up the new padded belt. I'd purchased a small (Kobalt) pouch ($9 I believe) at the time of belt purchase, and doing some shed cleaning yesterday ran across a Garrett pouch. Well you can't have too many pouches in the field :laughing:, so I added it as well. Now I can carry MORE snacks :yes:

padded-belt-pouches-shovel.jpg

I'd given some quick thought to carrying the shovel on the back of the belt, but wanted it to ride high enough as to not be slapping my legs as I walked. Also something that didn't add weight, bulk, or anything too "mechanical" to the fray.

1st attempt seemed to work perfect on a dry run. I walked around the barn a couple minutes, with no foreseeable issues. I simply taped it on temporarily so I can actually try it out a good bit before going to a more permanent attachment (likely tack welding).

I just put a kink in a piece of 3/16" steel rod, and taped it close to the balance point of the shovel, just slightly heavier on the handle end as to keep it vertical. Easy one-hand on/off. The rod goes between the actual belt, and the padding, so it's not contacting my back.

Time will tell if the 1st attempt is a winner or not. Entire belt, with shovel is just slightly over 8 lbs. I can't even tell it's on, and the padded belt makes a huge difference in comfort.

shovel-hanger.jpg

I'll second the US Army LBE of the 70's. Canvas pistol belt, canvas suspenders, and more specialized pouches as needed.
Nice to be able to just unhook the belt and just let the entire rig loosen and hang from the shoulders.

I'll second the US Army LBE of the 70's. Canvas pistol belt, canvas suspenders, and more specialized pouches as needed.
Nice to be able to just unhook the belt and just let the entire rig loosen and hang from the shoulders.

I'd worn the DeWalt rig I'd shown a few posts up over the past summer while helping the neighbor on his new cabin.

Nice, yes, it's just a bit uncomfortable (for me) to wear in 100* temps either shirtless or in a tanktop. That said. I doubt I'll be doing much field hunting until cooler weather anyway.

Anxious to try out the new belt, and may have to hit the edges of a couple fields just for that reason.

Wanted to update.

Since posting in this thread last, I'd been to Lowes and bought an "add on" suspension rig (Kobalt $23) for the padded belt (above). I used it for the 1st time today, and I LIKE IT! Way more comfortable than a 2" belt.

Con- The belt loops aren't sewn, they're wrap-around velcro, so I had to add a zip-tie to each one, not a big deal, but I guess for $23, can't expect much.

Also, carried the Predator on the back of the belt, even though I never used it.
I honestly had to keep checking it was still there, because I couldn't tell.

All in all, happy camper.

Now, go away summer, c'mon fall!!! :cool3:

An addition I'd made to my pouch was something I failed to mention.

I dig a fair amount of junk, some large enough I carry to the edge of the field, small stuff in pouch until it's overloaded.

At the end of each hunt, I clean-up my gear, including my pouch. Inevitably dirt is part of what ends up in the pouch, and dumping it means emptying the pouch of everything else, and I tend to carry a good bit of "stuff" :laughing:

Depending on the type pouch you use, this may not work, or you may have to use a different container. Aside from being a "liner", it holds my pouch pockets in the "open" position, which makes them easy to make a deposit or withdrawal. When cleanup time comes, I just pull out the liners and dump 'em.

I used grapefruit jugs, cut to proper height:

pouch-liners.jpg

Back
Top Bottom