My First Crusty Indian

Olive oil is acidic and can lead to bronze/copper disease down the road. Especially when it goes rancid and triggers more oxidation. The distilled water only breaks down the mineralization and wont eat away the patina like olive oil does, nor will ti darken it. If a coin is beyond saving with really bad or no patina, and you want to use something acidic just to make out more detail; use absorbic acid solution then neutralize when finished with baking soda water. But it works quickly and can be easily overdone. That way theres no acidity when sealing and the wax wont go rancid or allow oxygen to permeate and continue degrading the coin.

Thank you for the info!

How do you feel about the hot peroxide treatment? Seems to really dry the coin out, but seems to work on corrosion.

On the wax, I thought it was to create a mechanical bond and lift the corrosion and contaminants, but it's to seal the surface of the coin, once its cleaned. Makes sense!

CLR works good on Copper coins

If you don't leave them in there to long. I have had some pretty bad Large Cents ion the past. I thought no way to get any detail. My son used some CLR
and found out the id of quit a few of them. What do you have to lose if you haven't got a clue now to try it out. I usually leave them for two hours at a time.

Good Luck and HH:D

Congrats on your 1st IH! They get easier to find after you land the 1st one.

That would have been worth a Million $$ had you not used olive oil :laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom