Finally asked for permission

planerie

Elite Member
Well for the past year i have been passing this beautiful old house and finally decided to stop and ask for permission to detect it. I had my 2 year old son with me so he was a nice ice breaker. I rang the doorbell and was greeted with a big smile from the lady of the house. I introduced myself and my son and told her the reason I was stopping was to find out the history of the house and property. She filled me in on the age and some history that she did know. House was built around 1870-1880 and was moved a few hundred feet from its original location on the property about 12 years ago. What's even better is there was an original plantation home on the property that burnt down a long time ago. The property has huge oak trees, original blacksmith shop, slave house and barn. I then mentioned that I metal detect as a hobby and asked if they would mind me detecting the property. She looked at me and said sure that would be fine you can come over anytime. I thanked her and told her I work in IT on computers and that if she ever had computer issues or question I would be happy to help. This looks like it will be an awesome spot!! What do you guys think?

b5d688343435b7e92a1bf62c357a6c0e_zpsececa762.jpg

f0f0b7ca5ce8c86a23270579d199cb19_zps35dedc52.jpg

33771188edb88396f74ee7091f58d1eb_zps9f6cca00.jpg

5e8edbd0418482228d7a6c65b708b95a_zps6f0225c1.jpg

c7db5133e6eea753bf7e6b2105170329_zps3da258cd.jpg

I think you are very fortunate to have gained the homeowner's trust.
I also think you made a HUGE mistake by not detecting immediately!
You should get back there and detect right away before she changes her mind after talking to her kin or a neighbor:no:
It has happened to me and I kick myself every time I drive past the house, shich is almost every day:(

Thanks guys I hope it turns out really good. She did show me a big colonial flat button that a carpenter found just laying on the ground under the oak trees a few years ago so there has to be some good stuff there.

Good God...... that is insane.
Get over there sooner than later.
WAY more sooner than later.

Went out on Friday for about 6 hours and found 1 really nice thing. Its a huge property and TONS AND TONS of trash and iron so it will be a slow going process. I will not give up on it because it has so much history. I found the eagle button within the first 10-15 minutes I was there and is my first raised 2 piece button. The back in concave which I have never seen but it could have just been bent but doesn't looks like it.

Back
Top Bottom