Is this part of a military uniform? Any Ideas?

BillV

This is a depiction of an eagle and it is slightly smaller than a large cent. It has two eyelets like you would find on the back of flat button and it also has two tabs that look like they clasped onto clothing or something. Could it be part of a military uniform? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• combined.jpg
    combined.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 149
interesting looking item Bill what kind of area did you find it ? what other things did you find in the area ,this might help with the age .

Del....the area dates back to the early 1700's. The oldest coin I found there was a 1723 farthing and a friend found a Fugio Copper. I have also found many colonial buckles, a pewter cup, large cents and King George coppers.

Bill - I just noticed you're up the road from me. :wow: The Bolton area is rich with history. I've thought about trying to retrace General Rochambeau's march from Newport, RI through our eastern section of CT, to NY

Here's a quote from another website: BOLTON -"At Bolton Center, or a short distance to the east, Rochambeau's troops camped in 1781, while en route from Newport to the Hudson. Several 18th century houses have preserved their old lines and their fine interior woodwork. In the Asa White Place, built 1741-43 and in somewhat poor repair, an upstairs room still shows bayonet and bullet holes made by French soldiers during a drunken brawl."

Maybe a French soldier lost that button in one of those drunken brawls :lol:

Back
Top Bottom