V3i setup for trashy area 4x6 shooter coil

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
I am looking for a good setup for a trashy to light trashy area. Using the 4x6 sharpshooter coil, ground can be anywhere from a low of 75 to as high as 91 in places.

Separation will be best 22.5 kHz
Run a recovery around 60 give or take
One of the 10 band filters

Watch your sweep speed,,,not to fast or slow.

I am looking for a good setup for a trashy to light trashy area. Using the 4x6 sharpshooter coil, ground can be anywhere from a low of 75 to as high as 91 in places.

What are you running now? Tried Magic's program? couple keys he does I like besides dropping to the 5hz band is the tones, he accepts all besides the -95. & +95 and sets most negative numbers to a tone of 5, this can be great for light to medium trash. When you hit the non ferrous the tone is simply a "tick" In a bit heavier trash I'd eliminate down to maybe -50. Keep your swing speed slow, and drop your recovery delay to 40-50.

Also you may want to change from intensity to consistency in the spectrograph section. I prefer LockTrack vs Autotrack, especially in trashy areas. Will eliminate the ground tracking getting skewed, if you set your detector down on trash while digging. It will also eliminate losing time as you wait for it to reground balance. Also, in the pinpoint settings, uncheck "Ratchet" and if you wish the VCO is great to help pinpoint with the added sound feature.

There is a pile of good info out there. GL & HH

Just picked the machine up this afternoon, it has some programs already in it. Figured i better do some modifications to get started on me first hunt. It did seem like i got a couple more inches depth in the deep silver stock program at 22 hz single freq. I gotta do some more reading but i will try out those settings guys. Thanks for the start, i heard that you can really mess this machine up if you tweak something a little wrong.

Just use the high trash program, you can bump up the RX gain and the sensitivity if you want it to run a little hotter. It really is a great machine, I am on my fourth season using it exclusively. . I use mine in three frequency almost exclusively and use that information to discern trash from coins..warning the 22.5khz frequency is a trash seeker lol! Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Something else I just reread what you wrote about your ground..the VDI number is not what you want to look at when considering mineralization of your soil, it's the percentage based on the RX gain. There is a separate number below the VDI that you need to watch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just picked the machine up this afternoon, it has some programs already in it. Figured i better do some modifications to get started on me first hunt. It did seem like i got a couple more inches depth in the deep silver stock program at 22 hz single freq. I gotta do some more reading but i will try out those settings guys. Thanks for the start, i heard that you can really mess this machine up if you tweak something a little wrong.

Actually then, i would only make three changes initially if this is your first run.

Locktrack on, Ratchet off, and coil size. Otherwise you will spend all day fiddling with your machine to try to make it better. The only other change I would make would be to try different stock program. This is a pretty complex detector, hopefully you were able to read and digest the manual prior getting out.

Not quite right

Separation will be best 22.5 kHz
Run a recovery around 60 give or take
One of the 10 band filters

Watch your sweep speed,,,not to fast or slow.

Try to use lowest filter that doesn't smear targets on spectrograph and with 4x6 coil a recovery delay between 35 and 45 will be much more pronounced on individual colocated target. Sweep speed is very forgiving with shooter coil don't go too fast

Try to use lowest filter that doesn't smear targets on spectrograph and with 4x6 coil a recovery delay between 35 and 45 will be much more pronounced on individual colocated target. Sweep speed is very forgiving with shooter coil don't go too fast

This is your first post????

........Who are you?

You speak of smearing and recovery delay, on a V3i-----this isn't a newbie talking is it?

Lol welcome from SW WI Be sure to introduce yourself.

Ground between 75-91 isn't really important. What is important is the ground strength. If it is between 0-10% you have low mineralization. If it is between 11-20%, you have moderately mineralized soil. If 20%+ and you have high mineralization. The 75-91 is mostly only going affect the VDI values you see since it is an arithmetic sum of the ground impedance and the target impedance.

I would try this is a trashy area:

Ground filter based upon mineralization and EMI. If you have low mineralization and low EMI, use the 5Hz High pass filter. If you have low mineralization with EMI, use 5Hz Band Pass.

Start with fairly low settings to get a feel for the ground. Start around Rx=8, AM=60, DS=75. Get a good ground balance and swing around. If it is quiet (no falsing/smearing), raise the RX a couple of notches. Swing around some more. If still not falsing, raise DS until it starts falsing while holding the coil at waist height. Once that starts, take it back ~5 points. Raise AM until is it approximately 15-20 points less than DS.

Set your RD by placing two coins one coils width apart. Swing at your normal hunting speed, and adjust Recovery Delay until you can hear two distinct hits from both coins. Having a recovery delay too high or too low will cause you to either miss targets or double hit on them.

If there is lots of trash in the form of iron, you may want to try consistency mode opposed to intensity. If you try consistency, try 20-25 for a consistency number. Change fade rate to 1-2.

If you would rather use intensity over consistency, you can try correlate mode. You can only use this when using 3-freq or Salt. It will base things on the two frequencies that hit the hardest. Iron doesn't correlate will. Many junk items do not correlate well either.

Audio wise, I set volume to zero for all VDIs I don't want to hear. I usually don't use any sort of discrimination, so I just shut the audio off on things I would normally not accept. If you go without discrimination, be sure to set the bar colors to vdi ranges opposed to accept/discriminate - otherwise, everything will be green.

When I hunt in intensity mode, I chanve the value from 90% down to 75-85%. This helps with things like bottle caps and other things that don't have tight VDI numbers (I also set bar width to 1 so I can see all vdis for a given target). Coins have very tight vdi groupings from all sweep directions.

Ground between 75-91 isn't really important. What is important is the ground strength. If it is between 0-10% you have low mineralization. If it is between 11-20%, you have moderately mineralized soil. If 20%+ and you have high mineralization. The 75-91 is mostly only going affect the VDI values you see since it is an arithmetic sum of the ground impedance and the target impedance.

I would try this is a trashy area:

Ground filter based upon mineralization and EMI. If you have low mineralization and low EMI, use the 5Hz High pass filter. If you have low mineralization with EMI, use 5Hz Band Pass.

Start with fairly low settings to get a feel for the ground. Start around Rx=8, AM=60, DS=75. Get a good ground balance and swing around. If it is quiet (no falsing/smearing), raise the RX a couple of notches. Swing around some more. If still not falsing, raise DS until it starts falsing while holding the coil at waist height. Once that starts, take it back ~5 points. Raise AM until is it approximately 15-20 points less than DS.

Set your RD by placing two coins one coils width apart. Swing at your normal hunting speed, and adjust Recovery Delay until you can hear two distinct hits from both coins. Having a recovery delay too high or too low will cause you to either miss targets or double hit on them.

If there is lots of trash in the form of iron, you may want to try consistency mode opposed to intensity. If you try consistency, try 20-25 for a consistency number. Change fade rate to 1-2.

If you would rather use intensity over consistency, you can try correlate mode. You can only use this when using 3-freq or Salt. It will base things on the two frequencies that hit the hardest. Iron doesn't correlate will. Many junk items do not correlate well either.

Audio wise, I set volume to zero for all VDIs I don't want to hear. I usually don't use any sort of discrimination, so I just shut the audio off on things I would normally not accept. If you go without discrimination, be sure to set the bar colors to vdi ranges opposed to accept/discriminate - otherwise, everything will be green.

When I hunt in intensity mode, I chanve the value from 90% down to 75-85%. This helps with things like bottle caps and other things that don't have tight VDI numbers (I also set bar width to 1 so I can see all vdis for a given target). Coins have very tight vdi groupings from all sweep directions.

+1 what this guy said! :D

Back
Top Bottom