old bullet?

rfaatalrashid

found this today at a river bank. tought it was a split shot sinker at first, but its definitely not lead, and no split or hole for fishing line. old small caliber pistol bullet, shell sub-munition...no idea. this was after a white vinegar and water soak. btw it is perfectly spherical; there is a dark shadow under it from the harsh light.

Attachments

• 20160220_211119_HDR.jpg
    20160220_211119_HDR.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 190
Yeah I wondered about that after I posted it. Thought they were made of [rustproof?] stainless steel though? There was a lot of military action here in annapolis in the past. So I wondered what old pistol ball bullets looked like...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah I wondered about that after I posted it. Thought they were made of [rustproof?] stainless steel though? There was a lot of military action here in annapolis in the past. So I wondered what old pistol ball bullets looked like...

No, many if not most ball bearings are regular carbon steel.

Dang. U ruined my night. 😣 jus kiddin. thought I had a ball bullet relic. So how can I ever tell if I get a real one, other than matybe having an impact mark?

From the picture, it is very hard to tell just what it is. From what I can see, I would say it is not a bullet and that a ball bearing is the best guess here.

A magnet will tell you if it's lead or steel. Bullet metals are typically non-metallic (copper, lead). Those softer metals aren't typically used in bearing applications.

Back
Top Bottom