Seeking Metal Detecting Buddies in Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Republic

SEmer1969

Taking my son to Europe for his graduation present from High School between 23June and 04July, so will be visiting Amsterdam for a couple of days, flying to Budapest for three days, taking a train to Bratislava for three days then on to Prague for the final three days. I'll be bringing either my E-trac or XP Deus, and wanted to see if anyone in Hungary, Slovakia or Czech Republic would be up for some hunting. Good thing about me coming over is I can play the "dumb" tourist around areas you might not be sure if it's OK to collect in or not ;)

Drop me a line if you are in one of these three countries (or even Austria) as I would love to find a buddy there to show me around. Would be reciprocated if you are ever here in the US :detector:

Stephen

.... Good thing about me coming over is I can play the "dumb" tourist around areas you might not be sure if it's OK to collect in or not ;) ....

ha, that's a good one. While I'm not sure if it would work in "obvious" sensitive historic monuments, it has been known to work other spots world-wide. Where .... you could not realistically expect to know, so you're good for your first "alert" :laughing:

But so you know, there are md'rs in all those countries, presumably doing it safely and without issue (they even post their finds for viewing, etc...). If you still have any sort of doubt, simply do what all the UK hunters do, and stick to private farmers ag fields, with permission. Because logically those would be outside any laws you might read of, that logically apply to public land, not private.

Budapest

Sounds like a great trip you have planned there! I used to lived in Budapest for several years and it's a stunning city, full of history, great food, and fantastic architecture. Unfortunately, I wasn't into metal detecting at the time.

One thing about Budapest in particular, and I assume all around the area- they are always finding unexploded bombs for WWII lying about all over the place. So proceed with caution. There was a famous battle that occurred within Budapest at the end of WWII called the "Battle for Budapest" between the retreating Nazis and the Soviet forces coming in from the East. I recommend this great read for some background on the battle before your trip:

http://amzn.com/1848859732

EDIT: just saw that this is an old thread and you already completed your trip. Hope it was a good one!

Back
Top Bottom