GPS

Richnlin

I just joined and already I have many questions. I was reading one of the responses and went to the site that was stated, www.geocaching.com,
punched my zip and was surprised. Does anyone out there use GPS and if so, what is a good handheld GPS that you can recommend. I want a good one, maybe not the most expensive, as they all do just about the same. I just want to put in the coordinates and follow from there.
Thanks,
Rich

Hi,

I actually am a member of the Geocaching community. There are a lot of different models you can get depending on the "bells and whistles" you want. I personally have a Garmin Etrex Legend. It's a great unit for hiking, geocaching and the like. I would like to eventually "upgrade" (my wife hates that word) to a garmin 60c.

Check out www.garmin.com

Richnlin said:
I just joined and already I have many questions. I was reading one of the responses and went to the site that was stated, www.geocaching.com,
punched my zip and was surprised. Does anyone out there use GPS and if so, what is a good handheld GPS that you can recommend. I want a good one, maybe not the most expensive, as they all do just about the same. I just want to put in the coordinates and follow from there.
Thanks,
Rich

How about a simple E-trex or a Geko 201. They are cheap, handy, small. Nothing wrong with them...

BOB VALDEZ (199 geocaches made !), Belgium

Diverman said:
Hi,

I actually am a member of the Geocaching community. There are a lot of different models you can get depending on the "bells and whistles" you want. I personally have a Garmin Etrex Legend. It's a great unit for hiking, geocaching and the like. I would like to eventually "upgrade" (my wife hates that word) to a garmin 60c.

Check out www.garmin.com

Since 18 months I have been using a GPSmap 60CS and it is fine. But I think it is a bit "big" for metal detecting. I'd rather go for a smaller unit...

Just my opinion...

BOB VALDEZ (199 geocaches made), Belgium

The advantage with the more recent GPS models, is that they are much better on battery usage.
I think my Garmin e-map is only supposed to do 4hrs on a set of AAs.

We just started geocaching this last week and find it to be a lot of fun. As far as which unit to get that's hard to answer. Just like MD some folks like this brand and wouldn't touch another brand. The ol' ford vs chevy argument. We have a Magellan 210 which I bought at Circuit City for $155. I see Amazon has them too.

We located 10 or so caches with this unit in the 1st 2 days. It's easy to use and 2 AA's last about 18 hours. I've locked on to 10 sats at a time with this thing and it seems to be very accurate. There are units with much better built in maps (read more $$) but we didn't need that as we have a new notebook comming on which I'll load MS Streets and Trips with it's own GPS unit plugged into the notebook ($99 at Costco). Much better than any handheld maps I've seen. You really don't need the Streets and Trips as you just input the longitude and longitude of your destination and the handheld tells you the milage to that spot and has a compass with an arrow that points the way. Streets and Trips was just another excuse for me to get the notebook :D

Cliff - - -

I have a yellow etrex that I bought several yrs ago. Their about a hundred bucks. I use it quite often and I am pleased with its performance. I use it alot for geocaching, morel hunting, kayaking rivers, and hunting remote areas that I an unfamiliar with.

I just purchased the Etrex about a week ago, $125.00 Cdn, it's waterproof & floats which suits me fine as I water hunt mostly, but it will get used when I go bow hunting Elk & Moose this coming September. H.H.:-)

Richnlin said:
Thanks,
Rich

Wife and I have been caching about 3 years now. We have used a Geko 101(very cheap) since we started. It has no special features, but gets the job done. You might want to check ebay or the geocaching forums (GPS Garage Sale)http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=16f720df15cbad967241ea818d56390b&showforum=13

Sometimes you can find a deal on a used unit. Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom