What ring is made of?

Roger B

Forum Supporter
I found a ring today and it is marked with 950 and 18K. It looks like a silver ring with a small gold piece on it?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

A picture would be nice. I found an Irish ring marked the same way. It was a .950 silver ring with an 18kt gold heart . Rob

Just a guess but I think that means that the whole ring is .950 silver and the gold is plated onto it. I'm not a jeweler and may be wrong.

Thanks for the replies, I am wondering though, is it platinum or silver? Some are saying silver, I know that Cfmct-PI has a lot of experience with beach hunting and finds lots of rings.
Here are a couple of pictures. The ring is bent into an oval shape and is quite tarnished, any advice on how to straighten it out and clean it would be appreciated.
Thanks again for your help.
Roger

Attachments

• plat ring.jpg
    plat ring.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 137
  • plat close.jpg
    plat close.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 182
Great find.
That is silver and gold. Silver can be denoted as .950 or .999 fine or .925 which is the same as sterling, and so forth. Platinum doesn?t tarnish. I think that was an 18k gold button that was made into a Jesus. You should see a gold rivet type head on the inside of the band. I've seen gold figures attached to medals with hot glue too. It?s true that a widely used base metal for gold plated jewelry is silver, but I don't know if the base metal type is denoted on the ring.

HH

Back
Top Bottom