• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Flat button or Coin ID

Bess

I found this penny sized non ferrous thing in a park in Chernovtsy, Ukraine.

On the front it is really worn but looks like it once had a design on it.
15032206388711688859304.jpg

On the top of the back side it has a word that I can't read but I think it starts with L. On the bottom there is another word that starts with either C, D, O, or G and ends with T. In between each word there is a tiny star.
15032226616461093842515.jpg

Sorry the second picture is rotated but the right side is supposed to be the bottom.
I hope you can identify this thing. Thanks!:D

I believe the top word is London, and the bottom word is Gilt. With raised lettering these are often in the 1790's-1810 date range as I understand it (would be later if the lettering was indented rather than raised).

It just may be my old store bought eyes but that first picture looks like it has an eagle on it. Like our convex one piece eagle button. Someone help me out and give it another hard look.

Clean your glasses Duggap. just kidding :)

I think it's plain...but cleaned up some more would confirm it either way.

Last edited:
We tried cleaning this button several times but it didn't get better than it was.
Thanks for your replies.:yes:

Bess, that thing has to be able to be cleaned a little more. Find the you tube video in the "cleaning your finds" forum. The guy that shows you how and how not to clean, copper coins. With a tooth pick, dry. If that fails try the distilled water soak. If you spend some time on it you should be able to verify the writing and then google the writing and do some research. With a little time and effort you should be able to get a solid ID. I think the info is there.

Back
Top Bottom