Etrac VDI #'S not appearing?

Coindigger83

Forum Supporter
Ok, so still very new to the etrac, One thing I'm having difficulty with is the vdi numbers. On more than one occasion I've gone over a great sounding signal (I hunt by sound not vdi) so when I hear a great sound and think oh that sounds great, I look down at the screen, and surprise, no FE or CO numbers will appear. No matter how many times I run over the target. even tried shutting the machine off and trying again. So I dig the target and it's like 4 inches down or so. nothing deep so far with this problem... so it's not a depth problem with not giving me the vdi's.. just seems like the vdi on the etrac is very slow, or even non existent most of the time. The numbers seem very slow to appear even when running the coil really slow over the target. Is this just the way the machine is? Anyone ever have this prob? If so, please advise a solution because it bugs me to no end.

Sometimes that happens when there's multiple targets under the coil. Some DISCed out, others not. Etrac and CTX seem to delay displaying the TID until the threshold returns.

Try this: Narrow your swing to just a wiggle over the detected target. Then make a very short pass across it and stop just on the other side. Watch for the numbers to update.

Also what do you have trash density set at? Try setting it on "high" if its not already. With this setting, Etrac locks on to the strongest accepted signal and displays the most stable TID for that signal.

Well, that's the problem, ive tried the wiggle method and slowly going over the target waiting for the VDI to update. But it never does. I'm getting a great sounding signal, but the VDI sometimes will just never appear no matter how I wiggle or move over the target.

Last night I was running manual sense 23 to 26 depending on chatter, and trash dens was set on high. Maybe I should tweak setting of trash dens?

Also do the VDI's not update the same between man and auto sens? I just read a post a few moments ago that makes me wonder if this isn't the problem. I just recently started using manual sens. Anyone have any comments on this?

I don't believe I've ever noticed, as I'm not fond of the VDI's. I normally go by the tone and position of the cursor. The VDI's just drive me nuts!

Coindigger, I don't have any answers, but are these non showing numbers that end up being 4 inches deep, are they good targets?

I don't think I've ever had issues with the numbers not showing up on a good (non ferrous) target unless it was very very deep. Since the majority of my hunting is going over the same ground here in my little town, and all the easy targets were dug long ago, but for the last few months I've been trying to make sense of the iffy signals. Most of these are iron, but not all. I am constantly flipping the Etrac's quickmask to an open screen to check those iffy signals (that often are choppy). If I'm on fairly clean ground I'll switch to manual sensitivity, but in trashy areas (most of the time) I'll switch to Auto+3 as I think the numbers are a little more stable and correct.

When you run into these numberless targets, have you used the quickmask on an open screen to see if the numbers show up?

Good luck!

That happens to me occasionally when there are multiple targets in the area. I am new with the etrac as well, but that seems to be the case for me.

Hmm I don't think I've ever seen that on my Etrac. Maybe try a master reset and see if that helps.

Absolutely do a Master (FACTORY DEFAULT from the PREFERENCES MENU) reset. Then power down the detector, after at least a minute, go ahead and power up the detector. Since you are a new detectorist with the E-Trac, use the "COINS" factory mode and get use to the machine. Don't try changing a lot of settings (and ESPECIALLY don't change several settings at once) until you fully understand the machine in the factory modes. Don't try to learn it by doing air tests either, targets in the ground respond differently than in an air test. As an example of this, I once dug a pre '82 copper penny that was beside a small rusty screw, it sounded really good but the FeCo was 10/39 most of the time. The penny was crusty and had some rust on it, when I got it out of the ground I placed it on the ground in a clean area and it gave me a 12/43 - 11/44. Also, get the great Explorer and E-Trac book written by Andy Sabisch ( http://www.sabischbooks.com/books/minelab/ ) and read it carefully, it WILL help you.

Here's a short video I did, not a great video but shows the screen and lets you hear the sounds of the targets as I swing over them;

Keep us posted....

Sometimes when a Target is very deep you will get a tone but the vdi numbers won't show up

Havent used the quickmask function to much, but maybe ill start. The targets have been mixed..some of these numberless vdi's have been junk, and some great targets. I already have and have read the andy sabisch book for the etrac to no avail, thats y i came here for possible answers...as far as tinkering and changing goes, ive only added the andy s. Program and started playing with the manual and auto sens. So i havnt gotten crazy with it. Anyways..maybe its just the grounds ive been hunting..old farm settlements with lots of iron...ill keep playing around with it, but just seems like for some reason the vdi just doesnt update or takes forever. I watch videos of people using thier etracs, and the vdi changes alot as they go over a target. Mine doesnt show one sometimes...maybe defective machine. Thanks for your help guys maybe i got spoiled using my deus and how the recovery speed was.

Back
Top Bottom