Well its a knife

Mayor McDigger

Found this old knife in a creekbed. I'm guessing its an old hunting knife from the early 1900's. But I am by no means an expert on knives. The butt seems to be made of lead with a screw/rivet in the base. On top of the knuckle guard is the letter "G". Any info is appreciated. Thanks for looking any happy hunting!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_173601_826.jpg
    IMG_20160213_173601_826.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_20160213_173836_922.jpg
    IMG_20160213_173836_922.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20160213_173859_587.jpg
    IMG_20160213_173859_587.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 696
That is a very common style of knife. The butt is usually a form of pot metal and the grip is discs of leather slid over the blade tang. The creek water probably advanced the rusting while preserving the leather. I don't think it's that old but that's just my opinion. I lost a very similar one in Colorado and found it again in a condition much like that 11 years later.

It looks very similar to a Case Knife...I remember buying one from Western Auto with my blueberry picking money..I was so proud to be carrying it around!.....lets see...that was 1968 when I was 9 yrs old? Imagine a 9yr old kid out working and making money and riding all over the place on a bicycle unattended, carrying a big old knife!? :laughing:

It was about worthless for skinning anything smaller than a hippopotamus though...so I bought a Schrade 110 twin blade 'muskratskinner' the following year when I started to trap...still have it...:laughing: great to find a knife! Good work!
Mud

Maybe a Western or could be an old Marbels. Pretty common style. Nice find.

It looks very similar to a Case Knife...I remember buying one from Western Auto with my blueberry picking money..I was so proud to be carrying it around!.....lets see...that was 1968 when I was 9 yrs old? Imagine a 9yr old kid out working and making money and riding all over the place on a bicycle unattended, carrying a big old knife!? :laughing:

Mud

Yeah, we went swimming in ponds that didn't have chlorine in them and drank from gardenhoses too. :shock: ;)

Thanks all for looking and commenting. Some good info and interesting ideas. I'm glad I didn't shank myself reaching down into the water. I figured I was pulling out a giant hunk of iron, not a knife. Although I was only born in the eighties I remember drinking hose water, jumping in ponds and skinning my knees. A time when childhood was dangerous... Or in my opinion more free.

Didn't happen to find that near a bridge or overpass did you? First thought I had was murder weapon.

Actually i did find it near a bridge:shock:. But it would have taken one hell of an arm to throw it that far. It was a good 100 yds from the bridge. Ive found lots of old fishing weights in the same area, so im leaning towards a fishermans lost knife

There are sooo many variations on this style of knife. Without some unique markings I don't think you'll ever know for sure.

1339090592-Stacked_Leather_Knives_016__640x425_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom