Thinking out of the box

StuffRecoveryU

This is kind of out there but I was wondering if you could incorporate an omni-directional wheel to a detector to make detecting easier for people who struggle with the weight issue, think of the Dyson vacuum that uses the omni-directional wheel to make their products more maneuverable. It could be made to be adjustable for the terrain as well as removable. Any thoughts? :newidea:

Would be interesting to see..

For my gf, I bought a weedeater strap and it pretty much takes all the weight off of her arm and she can swing it with just her fingers now (if she wanted)

Omnidirectional flaw

The one major flaw I see with omni-directional wheels is they have a lot of dead-space which could be filled with debris and dirt, most examples I have seen are used in very clean environments not exactly MDing territory. All good ideas come with obstacles to overcome why should this be any different! :research:

The one major flaw I see with omni-directional wheels is they have a lot of dead-space which could be filled with debris and dirt, most examples I have seen are used in very clean environments not exactly MDing territory. All good ideas come with obstacles to overcome why should this be any different! :research:

You could take the same principle as that, but with a twist. You're axle could work like Ford tires do, they kinda tilt when turning, or like a road grader. Instead of having a forward facing wheel, turn it sideways :?:

:wow::laughing::grin:Hay! How bout one of those hover mowers then you could always say you are just mowing the lawn if someone stops you !

RC metal detecting

I would be willing to bet that someone has devised such a device, RPMD. Remotely Piloted Metal Detector! :dingding: But I'm not sure that would be much fun, half the fun is the finding and the other is the digging!

Omni-directional wheels

As far as the omni-directional wheels go I have seen them but they don't seem large or robust enough to handle the rigors of MDing. The idea would be to have one large wheel on the MD shaft that sits slightly above the ground yet can move in all directions smoothly and easily. I think it would allow for longer hunts without fatigue for some people. I have no problem with the weight of my detector but I know people that as they get older it becomes a struggle. Thanks for the interest in this cloudburst of an idea..:drinkcoffee: Maybe I just had too much coffee that day!

seems like the added weight would offset any support gains. especially with constant lateral movements. I suppose you could mount you coil sideways for DD's. The added weight would be bad pin pointing movements.

Back
Top Bottom