Microscopes

evan9r

I am thinking about getting a microscope to identify some finds that have very small, vague writing as well as smooth coins. Has anyone had any luck with them? If so what brand and what magnification? Ive read that Stereo Microscopes are better for coins but they only go up to around 80x. Is this enough?

I do have the USB microscope that most people on here have, but it doesn't get the job done most of the time. Its more for picture taking than identifying as the zoom leaves much to be desired.

I have never needed any more than what my USB microscope does. I can't even get the whole coin in a picture anyway.

Bought a Digimicro 10x to 200x on Amazon. Just stack books, or block, or tiles under the base to get pics like this. (The coin is in a plastic flip case)

Attachments

• 1302061346082208607102.jpg
    1302061346082208607102.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 1302061346432208642873.jpg
    1302061346432208642873.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 278
I just bought this USB microscope

Hope this helps?

IF you want to know, I just bought this microscope for $79 plus whatever shipping and what not from Adafruit.com and bought the 3D Arm as well for about $45 (for ME it was well worth it). The uscope goes from 10x-220x and is VERY "crisp". The uscope and stand are:

USB uscope 5.0MP is made by Microview (cost: $79.00)
uscope 3D stand p/n: DP-M14 is made by OiTEZ (cost: $45.00)

You could more than likely make do without the 3D stand, but I wanted to have "longer reach" for certain situations, for example, circuit boards.

Here are some pics from the USB uscope and what the setup looks like. The small silver stand automatically comes with the uscope and is made of some sort of metal (i.e. it is a metal base and NOT plastic... apparently some bases are made out of plastic on some of the other uscopes that are sold out there???... where's the weight in THAT???).

Attachments

• USB microscope stand.JPG
    USB microscope stand.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 237
  • microscope 3D stand DP_M14.JPG
    microscope 3D stand DP_M14.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Zinc_LgDate_1982_D.jpg
    Zinc_LgDate_1982_D.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 237
  • Zinc_SmDate_1982_D.jpg
    Zinc_SmDate_1982_D.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 241
Nice set up and nice pics!

Doug

Hope this helps?

IF you want to know, I just bought this microscope for $79 plus whatever shipping and what not from Adafruit.com and bought the 3D Arm as well for about $45 (for ME it was well worth it). The uscope goes from 10x-220x and is VERY "crisp". The uscope and stand are:

USB uscope 5.0MP is made by Microview (cost: $79.00)
uscope 3D stand p/n: DP-M14 is made by OiTEZ (cost: $45.00)

You could more than likely make do without the 3D stand, but I wanted to have "longer reach" for certain situations, for example, circuit boards.

Here are some pics from the USB uscope and what the setup looks like. The small silver stand automatically comes with the uscope and is made of some sort of metal (i.e. it is a metal base and NOT plastic... apparently some bases are made out of plastic on some of the other uscopes that are sold out there???... where's the weight in THAT???).

thanks turtle...

my nephews nickname is "turtle":laughing:

the "fuzzy" pics are from the webcam (of course)... I should take better pics of the uscope and stand with my camera for better clarity of the setup instead of the webcam. BUT, the mem pics are OBVIOUSLY from the uscope itself and am VERY HAPPY with the results :yes:

Almost bought the one from coinsupplyexpress, which is a GREAT company, but the amount that I bought this recent setup compared to what they were selling, I bought the uscope w/ 3D stand for the same price coinsupplyexpress was selling just the uscope for (i.e. the one made by Lighthouse). Thus,

coinsupplyexpress:
1x USB uscope camera: $139.00

Adafruit:
1x USB uscope camera: $79.00
1x uscope 3D Stand: $45.00

after shipping cost and what not it comes out to about the EXACT same price just for the camera alone from coinsupplyexpress. Anyways, just to let you all know what the prices are and where it was bought from.

ALSO, if some of you are into the Arduino, Raspberry PI, etc then Adafruit is a nice site to look at for those things. IF you're interested. They ship fast too.

BTW... the blue tank of "water" in the background is Sodium Persulphate for making circuit boards:laughing:;) Gotta dump it... at the local recycler/waste management of course:roll: My desk is just about due for "uncluttering"!!!:roll::laughing:

HH \_

Thanks for the info. I have been considering a USB microscope. The price looks right and image quality looks excellent. May be getting one in the near future.

When I worked in "the industry" before retiring...I was used to having scope to see micron levels. Right now, I am pleased with my USB scope but I sure would enjoy having one of the X-Y-Z stages for fine tuning the targets. The focusing ring on the USB scope is sad too, but I don't stress over fine details like I used to. For the price...I love my USB scope. martin

Attachments

• Barber Qtrs 1899_1906.jpg
    Barber Qtrs 1899_1906.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 190
Btw...

Thanks for the info. I have been considering a USB microscope. The price looks right and image quality looks excellent. May be getting one in the near future.

BTW... IF you get the 3D stand, just to let you know, there are "rubber strips" just inside the holder that can be taken out IF you need more/less inside diameter. The "clasp" also has 2x clamping ends, but I still had to take out 1x of the rubber inserts so the uscope would fit. The 3D stand is made to fit, apparently, different brands/types of uscopes. I, personally, chose the front rubber insert removed because there is a small bolt on the back side where the "ball joint" is on the head. Moving the one rubber insert and the uscope fits the clamp PERFECTLY!!! If you leave both rubber inserts in while trying to clamp the uscope then you just MIGHT break the clasp? It is obviously too tight of a fit if you leave both inserts in. Again, just take out the front rubber strip and the thing fits like OJ's glove. :cool: I'm :lookclose: you OJ :police:
The 3D stand can be a bit awkward when adjusting/moving it around, but once the dust settles, the weight of the base is VERY GOOD!!! So just to let you all know a little more about it. The 1x knob tightens ALL ball joints as well.
I took it to work today to mess around with it during lunch :D My co-workers think I'm crazy, but HEY... that's why we're Metal Detectorist and it takes a certain "brain pattern" dispersal to be one :p It's a gift I always tell them ;):p
Anyways, I hope this little bit of information helps someone.

HH \_ to you all...

oh, there is a youtube vid on this thing and the guy does a pretty good job doing it...

Back
Top Bottom