Yet another pinpointer question.....

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Do folks use pinpointers and are they a good idea? Any advice on brand and model would be greatly appreciated.
I've been going out daily and I definately am hooked. I haven't found much yet, my best find so far is a solid silver seashell pendant. I went to a beach today and didn't find much just a couple of coins and a dog tag.
Thanks again for all of the great advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Yet another question.....

At the beach the only thing you'll really need is a sifter. However, I find my Bullseye II pinpointer to be necessary when hunting on land. It makes finding and not scratching your finds a lot easier.

OkieDigger said:
At the beach the only thing you'll really need is a sifter. However, I find my Bullseye II pinpointer to be necessary when hunting on land. It makes finding and not scratching your finds a lot easier.
Would you know if a White's Bullseye 140mm Blue color New is good at $70?
Thanks

I've not looked into the prices, so unfortunately I don't know. Mine came with the detector. They're excellent units though.

A pinpointer is a good addition to your arsenal. It sure helps to cut your digging down to a minimum.

I don't know about anyone else but I LOVE my pin pointer!
It is a hand me down from my next door neighbor. She has been detecting since the 70's.
Name brand is  Pin Pointer II

Would not leave home without it.
pop

Like the guy on the movie "Batteries Not Included" said: "Don't leave home without it!"  :lol:

A must on land as far as i'm concerned. Saves time and helps prevent damage to your find. $70 for the 140mm is about what they go for on ebay.

glory-days said:
A must on land as far as i'm concerned. Saves time and helps prevent damage to your find. $70 for the 140mm is about what they go for on ebay.
Thanks, I happened to see one on Ebay, I guess I'll get one.

I bought a Whites 140mm blue bullseye like you described about a month ago from a dealer here......I think I ended up paying about 120.00 after taxes etc. So congrats on finding a MUCH better deal. I also saw that 70.00 price on ebay AFTER I got mine and nearly threw up. Well, not that bad a reaction really, but you know what I mean. : ) I really like the pinpointer tho. : )

Well I bought the Pinpointer on Ebay. It sounds like an important tool for detecting and I want to do it right.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

I have a Vibraprobe 560 and I love it. I always go out with it when I hunt, it cuts down on random digging and avoids missing a small target.

bos1526 said:
I have a Vibraprobe 560 and I love it. I always go out with it when I hunt, it cuts down on random digging and avoids missing a small target.
I wonder, is it legal to hunt Boston Common? Imagine the coins that are buried there.

Roger,

I've thought of that myself (THINK of the things that could be buried there!) but unfortunately it is not.

Although there is no specific rule on metal detecting, this is from the City of Boston Parks Department website:

"SECTION 2. No person shall, in any public park (including any boundary road thereof), or other public place (including any parkway) under the control of the Parks and Recreation Commission, except under the auspices of public authority:

(e) dig up, cut, break, remove, deface, defile, or take any tree, bush, plant, turf, rock, gravel, building, structure, fence, railing, sign or other thing connected with such park of place"

Taking a look at a little history about the Common too, also from the City of Boston Website:

"The "Common" has been used for many different purposes throughout its long history. Until 1830, cattle grazed the Common, and until 1817, public hangings took place here. British troops camped on Boston Common prior to the Revolution and left from here to face colonial resistance at Lexington and Concord in April, 1775."

I bet there is so much stuff there, and although the city might not say too much about digging in some of their smaller remote parks, the Common is always patrolled by Park Rangers, so I don't think a detectorist would be welcome for too long.

Back
Top Bottom