How do I begin to know what to buy?

MS Delta girl

I need help. I've never used a MD before, but I'm not afraid to learn. Will be hunting on my father's property in the MS Delta that was originally part of the Dancing Rabbit Treaty with the Choctaw Indians. There's lots of acreage, but I'll mainly want to hunt at old home sites and on the banks of a fairly large lake. I'm looking for old coins, bottles, Indian artifacts.
I would love to hear from you pros that have had some experience with finding Indian artifacts. If it's there, is it even possible to find?
I would love to stay under $350 if possible.

Hi,

Sounds like you got some fun ahead. Good luck in your outings.

I recently wanted a second detector and my price range was about the same as you indicated. It's very intiminating with all the brands, features, etc.

But after much research I decided to go with the Whites Prizm IV. This unit is in your price range and has the ability to help you find what your after.

I'm sure you will get alot of different opinions depending on what others have used. But I would say to deff consider a prizm IV.

Welcome to the hobby.

Lots of considerations to be made when starting out, apart from how much you want to spend.
Weight can be a major factor for some, although a harness can help with the heavier machines. If possible get to a dealer and try a few machines out, see what you feel comfortable with, and don't be afraid of buying a used detector. They don't wear out, but some people change their machines, every time a new one comes on the market, so a used detector will give you more for your money.

Hi and welcome to the forums. The Prizm IV is a good choice but a bit more than your price. The Tesoro Cibola is an excellent detector and fits in at 340.00. There are cheaper priced units that are also decent starter units. You have to decide however , where you are going to hunt , what you want to mostly look for and whether or not you want a meter or not just to name a few . If I can be of any more help please let me know.
:yes:

These are all excellent choices. I have a Discovery 3300 from Radio Shack. I bought it a month ago for $112 but i think they are higher now. It is very lite and i have found dimes at 8 or 9 inches. The indian artifacts that i have found were on the tops of the hills. I have about 500 points, hammers, knives, game balls, marbles, and lots of stuff. If you will be hunting close to a river you WILL find artifacts. Look closely for different colors of stone because they made stuff from very colorful material. Anything that looks polished or drilled make sure you keep!!! Good luck and keep us informed!!

tater said:
I have about 500 points, hammers, knives, game balls, marbles, and lots of stuff.

I'd love to make those sort of finds, so far I have one flint arrow head, and a couble of worked flints.
I find them really fascinating, holding something which someone made with their own hands, many years ago.

MD Delta Girl sounds like you have some prime hunting grounds. Check out the Bounty Hunter machines in your price range. The Land Star or the Quick Draw II. Both will find what your looking for and work very well.

One of my favorite hunting spots is Fort Atkinson(1850-1853) which is nothing but an open field now. Over the years while looking for relics lost by the occupants of the fort I have found several Indian artifacts. This fort was host to the Treaty of 1853 where it is said 5000 lodges of Indians encamped along the Arkansas. Fort Atkinson was established to protect travelers on the Santa Fe Trail where Indian attacks were very common.

Here is some of the Indian artifacts I've found while detecting.

hammer.jpg

aro1.jpg

I have an Ace 250 and love it. That might be an alternative to the Prism. Look through the forums here for other's advice, for the price you want to spend, you might want to consider the Ace 250 (at around $250. You might get a good deal on line) and get a pinpointer. Pinpointers are almost a neccessity.

Good luck,

DMan

Nice finds DETECTOR! I wish i knew how to post pics. I have a 5 3/4 inch spear that you can see through. It has notches in the corners and made of crystal! The work is great on it and everyone who sees it wants it. Ive been offered $400 for it but still have it.

Thank you so much for these suggestions. Weight will be a consideration for me!
Since this land has never been "hunted", I have no way of knowing if I'll find anything. I'll be sure and let ya'll know if a trip(with your MD) to MS is needed!

Delta girl ? For the type of hunting you described I?d have to recommend either the White?s Prizm III or IV, or the Gerratt Ace 250. They are both light weight turn on and go machines that give excellent results. The drawback of the Ace 250 for me anyway is pinpointing can be a little tricky and you can?t shut off the multi-tone ID, it is a good feature but it can drive you crazy at times.
The Prizm IV also has the multi-tone ID but you do have to option of shutting it off and it pinpoints right on the money. Don?t over look the Prizm III, it is the same as the IV except it lacks the multi-tone ID and smart notch and that is no big deal, I hardly ever use these features on my IV.
I purchased a DFX about two month ago and often find myself grabbing the Prizm IV when going on a hunt and feel I?m at no big disadvantage.
My opinion is to start off with a less expensive quality detector like the Prizm and the Ace and see how you like it. Both detectors hold their value so you won?t lose much if you decide to get upgrade later.
I upgraded my detector by purchasing the DFX but I certainly didn?t upgrade my enjoyment yet, there is a long learning curve with the higher end machine.

This is just the opinion of a one year novice so take it for what it is worth.
DirtDigger (New Hampshire)

I don't think you can get a better detector than the Cibola for under $350, and it will outperform many that cost more.

Tater!

That spearhead you were talking about. You said you can see through it? Has it any color to the stone? when I used to live in Nevada years ago, I'd find obsidian all over the place, there is different colors of course. Just curious

Back
Top Bottom