My modified shovel

Fooleeze

So for relic hunting I picked up a big Ames 16 inch drain spare on a recommendation from some others. I used it once and while I liked it, I kinda felt like 16 inches was just too long. So I decided to modify it. After looking at the styles of some popular detecting shovels, I landed on the design below. See the before and after pics. I took off about 5 inches which makes it a bit lighter more manageable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181114-185312.jpg
    Screenshot_20181114-185312.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_20181114_131628.jpg
    IMG_20181114_131628.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,185
Very Well Done! I like those Tiling spades but never modded one like that! Not yet, I like what I see you did here! Does yours have the D handle?

Nice modified shovel, I also got a drain spade a couple weeks ago. getting it ready for relic hunting. Instead of the point, for years I've cut a "V" ( 1-1 1/2") on the end does good cutting big roots. HH Jerry

Yes, mine has the D-Handle, the green handle. This came from Home Depot for $25. (I don't suppose there's a problem telling you where I got it). This is the shovel I started with.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-16-in-D-Handle-Drain-Spade-2531700/204476045

I cut everything with an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk. I used a Dremel tool with a stone bit to clean up some of the edges in the serration. Then went back with a bench grinder to sharpen the outer edges.

I haven't had a chance to take it on a hunt yet (just mod'd it today), but I think it'll work well being just over 12" deep, sharper, with serrations. And personalized.

Yes, mine has the D-Handle, the green handle. This came from Home Depot for $25. (I don't suppose there's a problem telling you where I got it). This is the shovel I started with.

I cut everything with an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk. I used a Dremel tool with a stone bit to clean up some of the edges in the serration. Then went back with a bench grinder to sharpen the outer edges.

I haven't had a chance to take it on a hunt yet (just mod'd it today), but I think it'll work well being just over 12" deep, sharper, with serrations. And personalized.

Those are some clean edges for an angle grinder. Well done.

Looks good. I've done similar, digging in Indiana dirt, and broke a couple. They lack in "backbone" due to material thickness and the blade will break in half from flexing.

When it gives-up the ghost, look at a trenching (not tile) spade next time, they're much beefier. Seemed like it was about same price? Still much cheaper than a "name brand".

Shortened handle, re-positioned the blade to handle angle (cut/welded).

picture.php

Nice work. looks like that would be excellent in the wooded sites i always hunt.

Hey that looks nice. I built one like that years ago I use in fields. Will handle more abuse than my Sampson for sure.

Thanks for the comments. It seems kinda beefy to me, but I've not compared it to a trenching spade. We'll see how it goes, hopefully it'll last me a while, but I'll at least keep an extra shovel handy just in case.

Looks good. I've done similar, digging in Indiana dirt, and broke a couple. They lack in "backbone" due to material thickness and the blade will break in half from flexing.

When it gives-up the ghost, look at a trenching (not tile) spade next time, they're much beefier. Seemed like it was about same price? Still much cheaper than a "name brand".

Shortened handle, re-positioned the blade to handle angle (cut/welded).

picture.php

was going to ask how. thanks I like it a lot.

I've now gotten to use this shovel quite a bit over the past few weeks, and I'm VERY happy with it. It digs well, helps me dig some pretty deep plugs. It's sharp so it cuts well, and I was able to cut through a few good roots with it, too. Of course I haven't tried one of the really expensive shovels, but this one works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom