Okay MInelab Explorer users school me

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I have a used Explorer 2 coming this week and know absolutely nothing about the unit. Well not much at least. I do have the Sabisch book on E Trac and Explorer but know the 2 machines have a bit of differences as far as the smartfind screen and FE/CO numbers. So if you have ran this machine and have some real world experiences with it please feel free to give me some tips.
Thanks
Steve

I've run the E2 for about six years. I won't use anything else when shooting old coins. I'm not a fan of the FE/CO and use the smart screen exclusively. Manual sens 28, deep on, fast off. Gain at 8/9. SEF 10x12 coil for the wide open and deep, 6x8 for the tight, trashy spots, and I have my coils mounted on two seperate lowers for quick-changes. I've found that this combo beats my Etrac on coin depths, using an Etrac setup that is identical to the E2. I've used two different Etrac units to compare.

I've run the E2 for about six years. I won't use anything else when shooting old coins. I'm not a fan of the FE/CO and use the smart screen exclusively. Manual sens 28, deep on, fast off. Gain at 8/9. SEF 10x12 coil for the wide open and deep, 6x8 for the tight, trashy spots, and I have my coils mounted on two seperate lowers for quick-changes. I've found that this combo beats my Etrac on coin depths, using an Etrac setup that is identical to the E2. I've used two different Etrac units to compare.

Thank you for the very informative response. I have heard guys say the Explorer was deeper than the E Trac. I lol forward to using this unit. A SEF coil is on my want list also. This unit is the white one, is this an older model?

I love the E2. It's currently my "mop up" machine because the AT PRO is so much faster with recovery I can cover a lot more ground quicker. I bring it to spots that I have already hit with the pro and done well with to find the other lost goodies. I have found that the stock coil I have on it is really really good and pinpointing is a breeze. Takes a little getting used to but it makes intuitive sense after the 100th dig. I also run a pre-programmed park setting where I scanned in all of the items that I want to find in a park and then it leaves out everything else. It's a monster. That in and of itself is one of the best parts about the machine. U can switch/store different patterns for use in various places or just run it wide open with reject nails as the only descrim and dig relics all day long, or until your batteries run out. That's my only complaint, it loves batteries so use rechargeable and have extras because especially when using rechargeable ones once you cross the 50% battery life it's performance is noticeably different....

Works very well in mineralized soil and dry sand, wet east coast sand it doesn't like too much, at least not in the New England coast and DONT GET IT WET! Buy the $20 rain cover for the box, well worth it and you'll find that in clad in a day or two.

Also don't be discouraged by the threshold, it's supposed to make noise all the time, keep it low enough to barely hear but it proves valuable since it tells you when something is under the coil even if it's not reading it fully. Also helps to set manual sens in trashy areas. Set the sens to right where the point the threshold recovers the fastest and that's it. Most places around me it's about 26-28 trashy iron infested colonial sites it drops to 20-22.

And I will add that I am not an expert by any means in this machine so likewise if anybody else out there has any info to share please do! I'm just going on my experience with it in my life for juuuat over a year!

HH
Chef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the E2. It's currently my "mop up" machine because the AT PRO is so much faster with recovery I can cover a lot more ground quicker. I bring it to spots that I have already hit with the pro and done well with to find the other lost goodies. I have found that the stock coil I have on it is really really good and pinpointing is a breeze. Takes a little getting used to but it makes intuitive sense after the 100th dig. I also run a pre-programmed park setting where I scanned in all of the items that I want to find in a park and then it leaves out everything else. It's a monster. That in and of itself is one of the best parts about the machine. U can switch/store different patterns for use in various places or just run it wide open with reject nails as the only descrim and dig relics all day long, or until your batteries run out. That's my only complaint, it loves batteries so use rechargeable and have extras because especially when using rechargeable ones once you cross the 50% battery life it's performance is noticeably different....

Works very well in mineralized soil and dry sand, wet east coast sand it doesn't like too much, at least not in the New England coast and DONT GET IT WET! Buy the $20 rain cover for the box, well worth it and you'll find that in clad in a day or two.

Also don't be discouraged by the threshold, it's supposed to make noise all the time, keep it low enough to barely hear but it proves valuable since it tells you when something is under the coil even if it's not reading it fully. Also helps to set manual sens in trashy areas. Set the sens to right where the point the threshold recovers the fastest and that's it. Most places around me it's about 26-28 trashy iron infested colonial sites it drops to 20-22.

And I will add that I am not an expert by any means in this machine so likewise if anybody else out there has any info to share please do! I'm just going on my experience with it in my life for juuuat over a year!

HH
Chef

Thanks Chef. I am familiar with the threshold as I have both the E Trac as well as the CTX3030 which both run threshold. Also like to run mostly open screen and let the tones tell me when to dig. Is this feasible to do with the Explorer? Does it have tone "bins" like the E Trac?
Thanks for the sensitivity tips.

Thanks Chef. I am familiar with the threshold as I have both the E Trac as well as the CTX3030 which both run threshold. Also like to run mostly open screen and let the tones tell me when to dig. Is this feasible to do with the Explorer? Does it have tone "bins" like the E Trac?

Thanks for the sensitivity tips.

Not sure what you mean by "tone bins" but you can customize tones I believe. I love all the squeeks and burps. If by "tone bin" you mean it sounds off when you have hit a specified target then yes. I scanned in all of the different coins I have found, jewelry, pull tabs, rings, matchbox cars etc that I would want to dig (for obvious reasons you want to dig pull tabs). Then it only makes a noise when the target makes it under the coil. I run 99
tones because I'm crazy but also because it helps me determine whether or not a target is good by how narrow the tone range is. The fewer the tones the less information you are receiving. Just my two centavos.

I would say that if you have an e-trac and a 3030 then it will take some time to get used to the recovery. But it's good to slow down sometimes ;)

Back
Top Bottom