Why are people turning on the etrac for the ctx 3030?

Dark Chameleon

Elite Member
Its like the law with electronics, the newest is always the best and the older one becomes junk overnight as people jump on the latest greatest bandwagon....fact it the ctx 3030 is $1000 more then the etrac so it being better is no surprise...if they were asking me for $1000 more for a machine id expect something much better....the fact is though is it 5 times betetr then an at pro, is it $1000 better then an etrac, it it $1500 better then a t2 ltd?.

In the end your machine will always miss some stuff or theyd not bother making new machines, im sure sometimes its a case of razor blade logic (you know the 5 blade is better then the one blade but gillette and wilkisons sword introduced the two blade, then the two blade with wire safety strips, then the twp bars with safety and gell strips....its a case of why go stright to the best you can produce as a company or just milk every single step from here to there.

Is there something about the ctx 3030 that wasnt achievable some time ago?, whats about cheap detectors that could swap out coils for different frequency coils, so why not a wireless, waterproof headphones detector you can swap out the coils and go different frequancy to have an all rounder that can work in vft, pi or land specific in one machine...the electronic box to do that without switching on the fly must be possable, you can take 10 lbs if on a belt format contained around the midrift and then wireless to the individual coils so why arnt they doing it?

Because they cant?, because gillette cant make a blade with 7 blades and a gel strip with safety wire?

I say if people can afford it and want it why not? It seems very versatile.I really couldnt afford my V3i but it will be a very long time before I could even consider another.It gives me alot of enjoyment and I can say my old stuff has tripled.If I could heat the house with hundred dollar bills I would be waiting on mine in the mail right now.I did find alot with my ten dollar gold finder from the yard sale though, so I know its not how much you spend.;)

Over on another forum (I won't mention any names) that has gone completely ga ga over the new CTX 3030, the Etrac is being thrown under the bus. Lots and lots of people reporting that right out of the box, and very little experience with their new machine, their new 3030 is finding silver and gold in parks they had previously and throughly hunted for years with their Etrac. Apparenly the Etrac missed lots of really good targets at only 6 inches which the 3030 found with no effort at all. The etrac, once thought to be the best thing since sliced bread, has suddently taken a back seat. Greatness is in the mind of the beholder, especially when it cost that much. Look for lots of used etracs sold at bargain prices.

the E did not get ANY less capable overnight,,,, it still finds silver like a magnet finds iron and all the hype over the new one is just excitement for the "new guy in town"

Can't afford either machine right now, but I have seen and held both in my hand. The CTX seems to be well built and balanced better than the E-Trac. I have also heard from other using it that the repsonse to targets and the separation between targets even multiple under the coil at the same time is much better. No matter the machine, its the research and locations, then the time you put in behind your machine that make one a successful MDer. Of course a little luck never hurts!

I just bought a ctx3030 and will try to hate it and see if it proves itself like the etrac did. I wont sell my etrac, an infact will continue to use it frequently.

Realistically the Etrac is not much of an upgrade if any to the old Explorers, especially the SE Pro because they have identical coils. In time most (except Iron Patch :D ) parted ways with their Explorers and got the Etrac. I bet in a year in a half at least 50% of Etrac users now will be CTX users.

My only beef with the Etrac is its not waterproof. To me it could be better in iron, and it appears the CTX is in improvement in iron, and it waterproof, which to me is very important because I live on the ocean and am crazy enough to detect in any weather.

I'd say it's a much bigger upgrade than the Etrac was to the Explorers

Coming from a retail sales background, this is no surprise at all.

When it comes to technology, this is the way of the world and it is no different when it comes to most other high tech products and it has always been this way and always will.
The same thing happened with the VCR, Laser discs, DVD players and computers, in other hobbies like archery and fishing, and it still happens whenever Apple comes out with new technology, even though all those Apple customers KNOW that soon after there will be a better and cheaper product out in the not to distant future.

If people have the means and want to be first on the block to have the newest, shiniest and bestest with all the tools...I say why not?
It just frees up the one step down latest and greatest, and gives the rest of us a shot at those products at heavily discounted prices.

"Early adopters are one of five types of consumers (the others are innovators, early majority, late majority, and laggards) along the "Diffusion of Innovations Curve" pioneered by Everett Rogers. Rogers stated that 2.5% of those who adopt a new technology do so very early (the innovators); the early adopters represent the next 13.5% of consumers; the early majority (34% of the adopters) come next; the late majority (another 34% of the adopters) come next; and the laggards (16% of the adopters) are the last to try the technology."

I still use a trac phone.I don't get wrapped up in hype.If you notice most the beach finds being praised that the excal "would have never found" are fresh drops.This is gold season! The true test is in winter.You think minelab would have waited til Christmas to release this thing?Heck no! It will show it is not much more capable than an excal.And less capable than an experienced dual field user.Good thing is me and some others are gonna buy up those junk excals,sov gt's etc. that suddenly no longer work for Christmas.Santa Claus is gonna be good to us this year.That ctx is all some of you are gonna get:laughing:

(This merely proves that the BEST machine out there is the newest one everyone just got ;)

Next year, the 3030 will be old news when everyone raves on the 4040

Last year, Etrac was king and if you didn't have one, you were not running with the big boys, now, the big boys have 3030's

Gotta admit though minelab did a good job promoting it now people say "i want one" :yes:

People like the newest shineyest thing. I hunted with an old man once, had a old single shot shotgun. Only gun he owned. I asked him why he didn't get a new gun. He said, I know this gun, I've taken loads of game with this gun, and i can outshoot most people with this gun. I've got one thing over a lot of people. I know where the game is. And it was true, we limited out in about 20 minutes that day.

So its not what detector you use, but knowing where to put the coil!

(This merely proves that the BEST machine out there is the newest one everyone just got ;)

Next year, the 3030 will be old news when everyone raves on the 4040

Last year, Etrac was king and if you didn't have one, you were not running with the big boys, now, the big boys have 3030's

Gotta admit though minelab did a good job promoting it now people say "i want one" :yes:

the big boys :lol: luv it

i think they have done a terrible job of promoting it n if many belive some guys who first used it before and during the release and have found amazing amounts of coins '-' some claiming hundreds lol in areas searched for 40 years and some as small as a football pitch then yeh it has kind of worked for the next new thing is the best consumer, but for many who are very interested in what the ctx can do have lost interest tbh cuz for alot of wad you get a few extras ontop of a slightly quicker response speed tone adjustment and target trace so hopefully ml will bring out a ctx 3000 with just this then im sure they might sell a few in europe :lol:

IDK but if you guys wanna send me your old Etracs I will gladly take it off your hands for free :D

If you look at where most of our finds are the depth thing doesnt seem to matter that much, most finds are 6" or under, because you cant go and 14" dig up the sports fields, a 12 scooper beach find will wear out the detectorists before too long and half a dozen 'new' bottle tops that far down will make sure they move back to the 8" and less again.

Its the new finds, the newly brought up finds, the new areas or finding those ever smaller finds is where its going to be at and is there really going to be a lot of things that are tiny or 14" down that people want?.

It may be betetr but it may also go beyond the reach of most of the diggers here, unless you need to rescan trashy areas and the small coil shallowness isnt good for you or the big depth is what you need then id save $1000 for that second machine to go deep both on land and sea then miss out on those few finds like the youtube videos show, people rescanning the same beaches with the ctx 3030 and finding what?....the gold bar they missed, nope, just more sinkers and bottle tops....is it a top notch gild finder in waste deep water beyond what the cheaper $1000 machines can find?.

Perhaps but unless it proves it on those hundreds of rescan videos on youtube it isnt worth the extra finds, the more wireless machines coming out and finer gold searchers will kake this machine an also ran pretty quick...not give me an at pro/ gold searcher 15' water proof with changable frequency coils and ill be happy to have that three foot wire and stay at under 3 lbs.

I just bought a ctx3030 and will try to hate it and see if it proves itself like the etrac did. I wont sell my etrac, an infact will continue to use it frequently.

Sounds really good. Make a review thread about what you think.

Realistically the Etrac is not much of an upgrade if any to the old Explorers, especially the SE Pro because they have identical coils. In time most (except Iron Patch :D ) parted ways with their Explorers and got the Etrac. I bet in a year in a half at least 50% of Etrac users now will be CTX users.

My only beef with the Etrac is its not waterproof. To me it could be better in iron, and it appears the CTX is in improvement in iron, and it waterproof, which to me is very important because I live on the ocean and am crazy enough to detect in any weather.

I'd say it's a much bigger upgrade than the Etrac was to the Explorers
I have to agree with you on this. The water proofing is nice and is what the Etrac should have been. Also my gripe with the Etrac is no ground balancing which apparently the 3030 has, and it allows you to assign tones to certain targets. Which is another thing the Etrac should have been capable of. What I would like to know though still is the processor faster at IDing targets than the Etrac?

I have to agree with you on this. The water proofing is nice and is what the Etrac should have been. Also my gripe with the Etrac is no ground balancing which apparently the 3030 has, and it allows you to assign tones to certain targets. Which is another thing the Etrac should have been capable of. What I would like to know though still is the processor faster at IDing targets than the Etrac?

the ctx 3030 is many times faster than the etrac. HUGE diference!!!

Same thing happened with the minelab explorer II, It listed new just a few short years ago for $1,200. after the e-trac came out the explorer II's are outdated & can be picked up for near to nothing, e-trac will soon meet the same fate..

Personally as much as id like to have a 3030 to play with it seems way overcomplicated for my needs. I feel like id spend a half hour playing with the settings and trying to decipher what is on the screen after every dig.

Back
Top Bottom