Titan Metal Detector

Theolonus

Ok, I am getting into metal detecting and was wondering if this detector was any good. I have some info on it:

these are the words that perfectly describe the superb new Titan Metal Detector. Vastly improved by new technology. The Titan is years ahead of all competition in its price range. Simply turn on and start searching while automatically ignoring ground minerals, iron, bottlecaps and pulltabs. Loudspeaker faithfully reproduces a full range of coin and treasure target audio identification signals.

The Titan Metal Detector with Audio ID and Depth Reading is recommended for coin hunting, jewelry and relics, as well as searching for buried caches and even gold!

Titan Features:
Quality Construction
Touchpad control buttons
Power on and off
Sensitivity level control
Large easy view Target ID/ depth reading LCD screen
Automatic Tuning
Automatic Ground balance
Low battery warning
Discriminates out Junk!
Coin Depth reading
3 Tone Audio Target ID sound
Waterproof shielded searchcoil
External Speaker
1/4 inch headphone jack
Removable battery door
Lightweight and durable construction
Fully adjustable lower stem
Built-in detector stand
Weight 2.5lbs
Length: 52.5 extended/max position
46.0 collapsed / shortest position
Operates on Two 9-Volt Batteries

It is made by First Texas and any input would really be appreciated, the price range is $150 and that is all I can afford for one.

If it doesn't have pinpointing, and $150 is all you want to spend, I would rather go to Radio Shack and get the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 for $112 if you can still get a hold of one (aAlso a First Texas product). They have been on clearance sale form the original $299 they were at. A few of us in this forum have the 3300 and are doing very nicely with it. If you're going to spend more money, 90% of everybody will tell you to get the Ace 250 at around $200. Good luck!

Also forgot to post this, but what is the depth range of the Titan and the Bounty Hunter?
I also need, if you can, the battery life for both.
I checked Radio Shacks website and it says the Bounty Hunter Discovery is $299.99.

Also I had my eye on another MD but I will post that new.

There is a couple more I had my eye on and these are it with stats.

Ace 150 by Garrett List price $179.95 but found cheaper

On the Ace 150 you get features like 3 pre-programmed notched search modes, 3 depth levels, 4 sensitivity settings, low battery indicator, tone ID, graphic target ID and the interchangeable 6.5x9 PROformance Ace Coil.

This full-on sporty Ace 150 also features excellent depth, accurate target ID and discrimination and is right on the money when it comes to cost!

Features:
Graphic Target ID Cursor (8 Segments)
Coin Depth Indicator
Sensitivity, Depth Adjustment (4 Settings)
Tone ID
Clear Tone Speaker
Interchangeable Ace Series Searchcoils
Headphone Jack
Large LCD Display
Low Battery Indicator
Microprocessor Controlled
Push Button Controls
Touch-n-Go Operation

Search Modes:
All Metal Jewelry Coins

Specification:
Length: 42" to 51" Adjustable
Weight: 2.7 lbs (1.2 kgs)
Frequency: 7.2 kHz

The other one is a:

Fisher 1212X List price $199.95 but found cheaper.

Automatic VLF-ground rejection, automatic tuning, variable trash rejection, headphone jack, built-in speaker and deep-seeking, lightweight 8 inch search coil.

No tuning, no meters, no gimmicks. The single-knob discrimination control can be operated with the thumb of your detector hand, leaving the other hand free to dig treasure.

The 1212-X is engineered to by the world's oldest and proudest name in metal detectors. Fisher's patented, Double derivative electronics provide up to 25 hours of silent, no threshold, no drift operation on a single 9 volt battery, even more when using headphones.

Automatic ground rejection and turn-on-and-go operation
Silent, no-threshold operation
VLF slow-motion discrimination
Full range discrimination control
Stereo/mono headphone jack
Patented double derivative electronics
Shielded (Electro-Static Insulated) 8 inch search Coil
Only 2.9lbs.
Cushioned arm rest and Flexon grip

There's a whole range of Titan's that nearly match up with the Bounty Hunter range so make certain you check your models and features . I think the Bounty Hunter and the Titan 3000 XD are about the same but the Titans have the upgraded upper rod assembly and come with a five year warranty as standard.

The Fisher you mention is a rock bottom basic model which didn't cut it on my ground (the 1236-X2 though much more expensive was excellent...both on land and even worked on wet sand).

With the Garrett I would really try and scrape up a little more cash and go for the 250 model.

Theo - Depth is a variable that's going to depend on many factors. Soil type, object type & size, etc. I have pulled quarters in the 10 - 14 inch range. The battery life on my 3300 was not good when I had the rechargeable NiMh Energizers - about 8 hours. Those batteries were 15o mAh. I bought generic ones off e-bay for about 1/4 the price that are 200 mAh. So far they seem like they are going to last much more. The price for the 3300 that you saw is what's listed on the RS website because the item is going to be discontinued from being sold. Use the RS locator on the RS website to tell you what's the nearest store that may still have a 3300. Call the store and ask them the price, it should be around $112. The $112 has been the price for about 3 weeks. Some in the forum got it for 25% less than that at about $84. If you can't get one at that price then I would definitely agree with Brian and get the Ace 250.

Buddy if you have $150 to spend on a detector then depth should not be an issue. You want a machine with some notch contol, Tone ID, target ID meter and depth reading are fun to use especially in parks. You can have the deepest metal detecotr in the world but digging up junk that the machine tells you is a good target SUCKS and your metal detector will be the new addition to your closet fast.

Or buy a cheap detector and use little or no discrimination and get better results than machines at two or three times the price trying to cherrypick.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/behindthemask.htm
Shows what can be found and an expensive minelab isn't needed. Not recommended for the local park but gets results.

Brian that article was amazing and informative! :shock: Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom