Advice on Pointer

Kreyson

Looking for advice for a good pointer to go with an e-Trac (will be purchasing it soon). Contenders are:

Garrette propointer
Sunray x-1 probe
Detector Pistol Probe.

What are the ranges (inches) on each of these? Looking at reviews I see a wide range of performances. I like to be able to home in on the target in the hole with minimal digging for potential deep targets.

I will be hunting parks and old houses dating back to 1850s

Cost is not a major issue, I am looking for performance.

Thanks.

I have the Garrett Pro Pointer and I have to say I love it and dont think I can go a day with out it. Its a life saver! It goes about an inch or so depending on the size of the target. It is the best thing I have gotten with my detector!

I have a Pro-pointer and love it, but there are advantages to the Sunray, since it works like a coil (gives Fe and Co numbers.) Since the Sunray is mounted on the detector it does add some weight. I think the Propointer gives me more than an inch of range, close to two inches (on quarter size target).

How much hole chasing do you have to do with the PP on deeper targets (Crater digging)? The primary advantage of the pistol probe is the longer range to pin down deeper targets.

How much hole chasing do you have to do with the PP on deeper targets (Crater digging)? The primary advantage of the pistol probe is the longer range to pin down deeper targets.

I vote Pro pointer! I never leave home without mine. I don't think there is too much crater digging with it, just depends on the size of the target. But I have to say that it is very sensitive. I have found metal objects that were so small I wouldn't have even been able to find them without the Pro pointer! :grin:

pinpointer

I ordered a propointer today. The guy at New England detectors has had some great great prices on accessories. This seems unusual to me because, I am used to best buy selling cables for $70. Maybe it is because they are under a lot of snow, and months away from the local detecting season.

I used a friend's last week, and it has a range of 4 inches on coins, which isn't bad. In the case of a deep object you can dig and check, dig and check, and it probably won't be that hard to find stuff.

I heard that observers mistake the pistol for a gun.

The pistol Probe goes the deepest, if that is what you are looking for.
Most complaints are too big and the aforementioned shape of a gun, thing.

I have used the Propointer for months and it seems to go plenty deep enough and the advantages of Super-tuning and De-tuning give me tons of info before I dig.
Point it in the direction of even the tiniest piece of metal, and it will lead you there very quickly.
Comfortable and feels good in my hand, too.

The Sun Rays are nice if you want an extension of your detector with all the numbers, but watching plenty of videos of users, I think this one would drive me crazy with all the wiggling you seem to have to do.

thanks for the feedback. Ryan, let me know how you like it when you field test it. Range on coins.

thanks for the feedback. Ryan, let me know how you like it when you field test it. Range on coins.

Mine was the one he used.

It will pick up my Lesche from 6-7 inches away.
Air test on coins up to 4 inches...a good 2" plus in the ground and even better in moist ground.

Can manually ground balance if you are in the vicinity of a large piece of trash to narrow down the search area

Most of my holes on coins or other targets 1-3 inches in the ground are only a couple of inches wide and the speed of the vibrations and tone can give you depth info before you dig or if you are using it in a hole.

I have learned to pick up faint signals and have zeroed in on the exact spot up to 4" deep targets, maybe a little more if it is is big or in moist soil.

The few times I lent it to Ryan and I had to find the target without it was very frustrating since it has become an extension of my arm and detector at this point.

Back
Top Bottom