Got Double Faked Today!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I went for a nice 4 hour water hunt today from 8-12pm. Low tide was around 10am, so I was sandwiching it just how I like to. At almost the halfway mark I finally hit the ring. It came out dark like a lot of the gold that’s been sitting in the sand at this beach does. I got some wet sand and started polishing it right up. Nice and gold with some tiny ice! It wasn’t much but at least I wouldn't skunk out. Some time later I hit the herd of elephants bracelet. It was also dark so I also got some wet sand and rubbed it. This time it got nice and gold but I thought I could see some brass show through so I didn't think the elephant bracelet would pan out.:no: The last good target was the infinity “Friends Forever” charm which I acid tested and believe is silver. When I got home and go through the findings, I first take out the ring and I noticed some brass showing though at the bottom. :( Then I see a marking on the elephant bracelet of 18KCT and that gets me a little excited so I decided I would run it through the tumbler. After a few hours it gets nice and shiny and very evident that brass shows through on many of the elephants despite the 18KCT marking.:roll: What a scam! Struck out on the yellow but I had a great time out there today. :yes:

Attachments

• 4-26-15.jpg
    4-26-15.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 4-26-15 Ring & Bracelet.jpg
    4-26-15 Ring & Bracelet.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 4-26-15 Junk Ring.jpg
    4-26-15 Junk Ring.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 4-26-15 Bracelet.jpg
    4-26-15 Bracelet.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 4-26-15 Cuban Coin.jpg
    4-26-15 Cuban Coin.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 376
  • 4-25-15 Charm (2).jpg
    4-25-15 Charm (2).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 4-25-15 Charm (1).jpg
    4-25-15 Charm (1).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 381
At least you found some stuff other then tabs. I like the Cuba coin.
The Cuba coin looked like the completely encrusted iron junk that you pull up with a pi except that it was flat. I took a hammer to it and out presto change o!

And some crusties too! :D

That ring sure looks good. I hate plated. I'm a magnet for plated! I'm the self proclaimed KING :kingdances: of plated!

R5

The little elephants are cool and I know they look just like gold. Found one just like this past winter...

The Cuba coin looked like the completely encrusted iron junk that you pull up with a pi except that it was flat. I took a hammer to it and out presto change o!

Cool. Thanks for this post. It was helpful info do to the fact that I am new to detecting . I would problem think it was junk if I found it myself. Now I know to investigate the item close do to the fact there could be a coin hidden under the crust. Thanks.

The elephants actually say GF. But I pull several green chains that are marked 14k Italy. For some reason I haven't been finding junk jewelry. In a month I should start finding a bucket of that krap:( You sure that ring is junk?

Well, that ring would have faked a lot of us out too. When the settings look that precise it's usually a good sign. Congrats on the silver!

I hate it when that happens. I think I score only to get home to disappointment. I did have a couple of rings I thought were junkers turn out to be gold.

That is some pretty junk and would have more than likely had my heart beating fast. Congrats on your hunt and the silver !!

That's too bad Felix about the fake gold. The next time it will be real. On that note I saw this adv on the Internet today:

Tungsten Wedding Bands $50.00 & Free Shipping

Lifetime Warranty - Easy Returns
Tungsten FashionsSponsored

I think that Tungsten will be the norm in the future.The new generation are not into gold as much as those in the past. In fact most don't even like to wear rings.

I am just glad there is still some gold left for us to find.

I don't know but that marking looks like either 18kGF or 18kGE. Does anyone else see that? I put a magnifying glass next to my computer screen and looked at it.

I don't know but that marking looks like either 18kGF or 18kGE. Does anyone else see that? I put a magnifying glass next to my computer screen and looked at it.

Yes. It says 18KGF (Gold Filled), and since it's probably made in China you don't know the minimum % of gold that it has.

By the way, you can press and hold the Ctrl key and scroll up to zoom in and scroll down to zoom out, also if you are using Windows, you can hold the Windows key and press +, it will open the windows magnifier.

Cheers & HH!

Yes. It says 18KGF (Gold Filled), and since it's probably made in China you don't know the minimum % of gold that it has.

By the way, you can press and hold the Ctrl key and scroll up to zoom in and scroll down to zoom out, also if you are using Windows, you can hold the Windows key and press +, it will open the windows magnifier.

Cheers & HH!

Thanks. That function is way handy. I will use it often.

Back
Top Bottom