Long Beach Hunt Needs?

ScottM

I will be vacationing in the summer and want to hit the beach and water hard for many hours in the day.

For those of you that do the long hunting:
1. I am thinking of some type of backpack that will hold water bottles and some small things.
2. I want to take a cell phone...hopefully keeping it dry...any recommendations for a waterproof capsule of some sort.
3. Assuming you find something sharp..fishhook, etc... and a trash can is not near..what do you store the "sharp" trash in so it is kept off the beach and does not poke or cut you.

Any other recommendations for the hunt...do not forget this...or make sure you think about this...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Im a camel I guess because I dont carty anything extra. Long pouch for finds scoop and detector. As far as cell phone..... its a relief to be unattached during hunting. I leave it in the Jeep. Dont over think it.... you arent going camping.

A good idea to keep a cell dry is to put it in a ziploc bag, a safer option is to put it inside a preservative, but i wouldn't go for this option if you can keep the ziploc sealed and out of the water.

Camelbak for water. I know someone who water hunts and carries a camelbak, cellphone and pistol water hunting. Not sure how he keeps them dry? But places like academy sports has all sorts of options for keeping stuff dry.

I don't carry a sharps kit. I won't take stuff that can hurt me!

Having hunted with a backpack I say no to it. Just carry a bottle of water. No phone.

Hat an sunglasses an sunblock. If you get hot reevaluate. Don't wait an dig another signal until you do.

And gl. -Joe

I will be vacationing in the summer and want to hit the beach and water hard for many hours in the day.

For those of you that do the long hunting:
1. I am thinking of some type of backpack that will hold water bottles and some small things.
2. I want to take a cell phone...hopefully keeping it dry...any recommendations for a waterproof capsule of some sort.
3. Assuming you find something sharp..fishhook, etc... and a trash can is not near..what do you store the "sharp" trash in so it is kept off the beach and does not poke or cut you.

Any other recommendations for the hunt...do not forget this...or make sure you think about this...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I carry a Camel back (that was issued to me in Afghanistan), a water proof Pelican case for the phone and a extra deep mesh tool bag for sharps and cans attached to my belt on my back. I attach the pelican case to the shoulder strap of my Camel back because i am always on call :(.

Cant go wrong with some kind of water bladder. I use a plastic measuring cup that has a lid that I got at walmart to hold all my nonvaluable finds (my beaches are pretty clean and I don't really do long hunts). I tend to find a lot of fishhooks. I have drilled some small holes in the bottom and attached it to my belt. Phone and pistol waterproof cases are at walmart and most water oriented sports stores. I usually only take the pistol when night hunting. Other than the water, its really not that much weight to wear.

As to the pack, the variety is almost infinite. If you use a mil style bladder, they'll have attachment points to hang about anything youd want onto it.

I usually carry at least 1 water bottle in a holster and I've relied on it many times to keep going. I have a heavy duty canvas pouch and I always pick up any sharp objects I find- I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt, of course, and I don't want to find them again in the future!

How would you handle a hypodermic needle? I am not talking about canslaw when I said sharps.

I take that stuff. Its needles that worry me. I guess a thick soda bottle and a pair of tongs in backpack?

hh gl -Joe

I usually carry at least 1 water bottle in a holster and I've relied on it many times to keep going. I have a heavy duty canvas pouch and I always pick up any sharp objects I find- I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt, of course, and I don't want to find them again in the future!

How would you handle a hypodermic needle? I am not talking about canslaw when I said sharps.

I take that stuff. Its needles that worry me. I guess a thick soda bottle and a pair of tongs in backpack?

hh gl -Joe
I haven't found too many of those but when I do i take them straight to the trash can. I like the bottle idea.

i have found needles ,knife blades even razor blades and no matter how far a can is it is better than some one getting stuck so i go straight for a can with the trash in hand ;)

Im a camel I guess because I dont carty anything extra. Long pouch for finds scoop and detector. As far as cell phone..... its a relief to be unattached during hunting. I leave it in the Jeep. Dont over think it.... you arent going camping.
X2
My only extra is a big frozen water bottle that I hang underneath one of the lifeguard stations.

Back
Top Bottom