OMG...Finally getting a break in the weather down here in the south!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
It's been a long summer here in mid Alabama, I haven't been out more than a few hours in many, many weeks.
Tomorrow is the first day of fall and it will still hit 90, we are supposed to have some rain coming in on Sunday and it should drop the temps into the mid 80's for the next week with night temps still around the low 70's.
On the last day of the month nighttime temps could get down to the 60's...haven't felt that in awhile.
The first week in October we should be around the 70's during the day and, can't believe this...into the 50's at night.
There should be some rain all along the way helping to get the dirt softened up and ready for digging, right now it is still like concrete.
In Kansas I hunted in the spring, summer and fall and sat out the colder winters.
Here I sit out most of the summer after the heat rolls in and my season restarts in fall only after the weather starts to cooperate and then I can easily hunt through the winter into late spring with only a few days vacation on the rare cold days we might have.
Our dirt never freezes here, I do but unless it gets into the 20's I can dress warm enough to be comfortable and have a good time.
It seems like it has been a year since we had consistent, comfortable good hunting weather.

Early this summer I got a new detector, the 800 Nox, and a few weeks ago the needed sniper coil.
Limited hours out there with both, I have seen some great indications this set-up might work really, really well in my difficult mineralized, iron infested southern devil dirt but just a taste...I have been chomping at the bit for several months to get a chance to see what it can really do at tons of sites both new and especially old.
Now it is getting close to the time I can finally give my full attention back to the hobby and do it with some pretty cool new tools I get to learn.
Can't tell you how exciting this stuff is for me.
The second half of my 2018 season is about to start...let the games begin!

Yeah I work roofing and you'd think i'd be used to the heat but after digging a couple holes I'm about ready to give up. Specially when you get tricked by stuff and dig deep only to find out it's a concrete slab from the pavilion next to you realizing you probably detected some rebar. Meanwhile everyone around you watches you dig your way to China, while you think your digging up a chest of treasure that floated up the sand on the beach. Work up a sweat in this heat easily.

It's been a long summer here in mid Alabama, I haven't been out more than a few hours in many, many weeks.
Tomorrow is the first day of fall and it will still hit 90, we are supposed to have some rain coming in on Sunday and it should drop the temps into the mid 80's for the next week with night temps still around the low 70's.
On the last day of the month nighttime temps could get down to the 60's...haven't felt that in awhile.
The first week in October we should be around the 70's during the day and, can't believe this...into the 50's at night.
There should be some rain all along the way helping to get the dirt softened up and ready for digging, right now it is still like concrete.
In Kansas I hunted in the spring, summer and fall and sat out the colder winters.
Here I sit out most of the summer after the heat rolls in and my season restarts in fall only after the weather starts to cooperate and then I can easily hunt through the winter into late spring with only a few days vacation on the rare cold days we might have.
Our dirt never freezes here, I do but unless it gets into the 20's I can dress warm enough to be comfortable and have a good time.
It seems like it has been a year since we had consistent, comfortable good hunting weather.

Early this summer I got a new detector, the 800 Nox, and a few weeks ago the needed sniper coil.
Limited hours out there with both, I have seen some great indications this set-up might work really, really well in my difficult mineralized, iron infested southern devil dirt but just a taste...I have been chomping at the bit for several months to get a chance to see what it can really do at tons of sites both new and especially old.
Now it is getting close to the time I can finally give my full attention back to the hobby and do it with some pretty cool new tools I get to learn.
Can't tell you how exciting this stuff is for me.
The second half of my 2018 season is about to start...let the games begin!
Good luck. You have some great equipment. If you have the 6" coil you'll do well. I use my Nox 800 with the 6" coil all the time.

I also am pleading for some cooler weather. The heat and humidity has been kicking my backside. On a cooler day I can do at least 6 hours on the beach but lately three to four and I am hurting. The other day I lasted three hours and drank 3L of water during that three hours.

Gotta go early and late, but otherwise I feel your pain. Finally sorta feeling like fall around here, then it changes its mind, and then changes it back again :laughing:

ditto for hunting in Atlanta

First part of the summer rained every 2-3 days here in Atlanta. Kind of out of character.

Now we have had about five weeks or more without rain other than a light sprinkles every other week.

Digging past one inch is a huge chore with the hard dirt and 90+ temps. Have to hunt early morning and give up by 11 am because of being worn out. Plus we don't get the depth in the dry soil. Lots of places 2-3 inches of forest soil and then hard red clay that is like concrete when dry.

Maybe some rain is just around the corner. I hope so just got a great permission on an 1800's house site which is rare in Atlanta area.

First part of the summer rained every 2-3 days here in Atlanta. Kind of out of character.

Now we have had about five weeks or more without rain other than a light sprinkles every other week.

Digging past one inch is a huge chore with the hard dirt and 90+ temps. Have to hunt early morning and give up by 11 am because of being worn out. Plus we don't get the depth in the dry soil. Lots of places 2-3 inches of forest soil and then hard red clay that is like concrete when dry.

Maybe some rain is just around the corner. I hope so just got a great permission on an 1800's house site which is rare in Atlanta area.

Yea, you get it exactly...you are at about the same latitude as me but just to the east a bit.
There are other options, I suppose I could have traveled to the only close beach we have here at a small lake and tried my hand at some water hunting but haven't done so...yet.
Hunting in the woods is easier and messy holes don't matter all that much and I have a couple of areas like that but I only hunt those in the fall and winter when the bugs go away.
Friend PanHeadDan has been driving over to Georgia and did some canoeing and stream hunting at some great sites with Exploring Alabama and Zach Byrd and had a blast and found great treasure but there isn't a whole lot of places to hunt like that near here.
My normal public parks and lawn permissions I love to hunt and are close to home have been way too dry to dig in...unless I want to be a jerk and destroy property.
The heat is one thing, the dead dry dirt is way more frustrating because the real good stuff us usually 5" or deeper around here and getting much past an inch in these conditions is way too much work and as I said...super destructive.
I would hate to get a nice permission at a 1920's house, find a few coins and then be told to never come back again.
Best to have patience until the conditions are right and that is about to happen.

Back
Top Bottom