Newbie needs advice

BbytheC

Just moved to a rural farm with the prospect of spending the next phase of my life helping to restore and refurbish the overgrown and neglected property. We’ve already found numerous old artifacts (plow blades, hand tools, bolts, misc. farm equipment, etc.) mostly by accident and light digging (no MD’s in use yet) and are sure there’s plenty more to find as the property has been in the family since 1870.

I want to start using a MD to search the property and want a detector that will be useful to find both large and small metal items at depths up to 2-3 feet. As I’m definitely a newbie and don’t want to spend a fortune on a high end detector only to have it become a coat rack, I certainly want to buy a capable unit. If I had to throw a number out, say I’m willing to spend up to $500 if necessary but would rather keep it lower. Been looking at the ACE 250, but it seems to me that it is more geared to finding small objects like coins and jewelry whereas I need to know if it will clearly find larger objects, too.

Any model recommendations? Any lines or makers to avoid?

you are out of luck.. in the under $2000 price range, the majority of machines are for coins and made to find coin size items In your price range 4-8 inches deep on a coin and larger items can be found 12-14 inches ..

Back
Top Bottom