• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

$2 dollar bill

That would be fun to encounter someone who has no clue. Just would make me appreciate more that I took the time to learn things and listen to my parents. It's amazing how many people probably can't tell you what a certain coin or bill is.
I say learn by observation and that helps ya figure out stuff you might not learn in school or elsewhere.
Might also be fun to argue with them that it's real $. I'd laugh my butt off if someone tried to think I was passing them fake $ cause they had never seen it before.

I always ask for them at the bank... and only spend them in case of emergency :) I like to give them to the grandkids too. If you ever visit Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and make a purchase in the gift shop they give $2 bills back in change.

HAHA! Funny! I used to work @ a hobby shop back in the 80's. Now way back then I did know they were legal tender but when a guy paid for something I still asked my manager. Turns out the guy wanted to keep them in circulation, so he cashed his entire pay check in for them. Guy used to work at the DMV & looked like Les Nessman (WKRP in Cincinatti) If you remember that show with Loni Anderson.

Go back there & use some more $2 bills to rub it in.

My family plays a game at Christmas and we end with $2 bills, so I have had the same problems trying to spend them. It gets very funny sometimes. I keep a few of them with me, just so I can use them when I think I can get a laugh out of it, it works most of the time.

When KT's Prince John was just a wee tad, KT decided to teach him out to count change and use real change to do it with. After a couple of weeks or so of experience, I told him to stop counting out loud (on the excuse that I did not want to hear it) and just make me change at our Play store...remember we were using real money, and this was before he was ever exposed to any significant schooling, which of course, kills any learning capability of brain cells. It holds in very good stead now, because he can even tell the bank tellers what change he is supposed to get back. All calculations in his head...with a pen, he is just as slow as those dumb kids, but when no pencil, he is lightning quick.

KT also taught him how to estimate multiples of numbers so that he could always check mentally when he was using a calculator in class. Many times he would finish a math or physics test and then without using the calculator be able to rerun the numbers in his head to see if the answers were in the ball park...really improved his grades!

KT learned all that from His Father, who was a bank teller from 1922 to 1948 and who hand worked with money and coins everyday of his life. My Dad, using that mental system was good enough on income taxes to do a form in his head and tell folks what their estimated taxes either were or what they should expect to get as a refund!

KT always loved math in both school and math puzzles...just seems to come naturally.

And it is so frustrating to see what our failing school system does with bright young minds within the first few years of classes.

I have been saving $2 bills for many, many years. My sister works in a bank and holds them for me. My credit union also holds them for me. When I retire those $2 bills are going to pay for several trips.

I had a similar experience years back when they were still using tokens for toll collection at the Throgs Neck bridge in NY. I handed the toll collector a $100 bill and asked for a roll of tokens (they were $40). She just stood there looking at the $100 bill. I asked if there was a problem and she said she would have to get her supervisor. Her supervisor came over and asked her what the problem was. She handed him the bill. He looked at it and said there was nothing wrong with it. She said (are you ready for this) I know but I don't know how much change to give him. The supervisor said give the man $60 and let him get on his way. He then apologized to me.

Weird. I just read the top post of this thread, and then went off in another browser tab to look up something. About the third page I come to is http://www.snopes.com/business/money/tacobell.asp and there's the story. The internet must be pretty small for that coincidence to happen so quickly. I'm guessing the whole internet must not be more than fifty pages or so. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom