Whatzis??

Cupajo

Elite Member
Water hunting yesterday I recovered this heavy bronze thing that would appear to be attached to a pole/handle with some sort of device suspended between it's arms.

The 10"+ spread of the arms might allow a scoop of some sort to be attached.

Wire brushed the light coating of mineral deposit off.

Cleaned up nicely.

Magnet says there is no steel/iron here.

Attachments

• DSCF4935.jpg
    DSCF4935.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCF4941.jpg
    DSCF4941.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 570
Sort of reminds me of the top part of a Fireplace Tool holder??

Attachments

• traditional-fireplace-tools.jpg
    traditional-fireplace-tools.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 477
Not a clue, I wonder if it has been spread out and discarded. Could the two ends have been screwed together at one time or do the bends look like it was made that way?

When I was younger I had this pistol gripped crossbow and that looks exactly like the part that holds the tension once the arrow/dart is pulled back.

When I was younger I had this pistol gripped crossbow and that looks exactly like the part that holds the tension once the arrow/dart is pulled back.

The thought had passed through my mind about such a use for this piece of hardware, but it makes more sense, considering where it was recovered, that it has a nautical purpose.

IT's too large for a spur or piece of one. The ends both have holes suggesting to me that there was something suspended between them. I own a fireplace tool set and this wouldn't serve such a purpose.

SD, the unit shows no signs of distortion and is close to the original shape.

Thanks for your replies friends!!

GL&HH All,

CJ

Another Friend suggested this might be a bracket for hanging a lantern or other light from a pole for use on a boat as a work light.

Sounds sensible to me, but it sure would be nice to have the true purpose it was used for.:yes:

Here is a thought. How about an antique propeller shaft support? The ends would screw to the bottom of the boat and the half circle would hold a waterproof bearing that went over the shaft.

I haven't found one like it but I thought that was possible.

Seems like an infinite number of possibilities.:yes:

The holes are countersunk on the outside of the device for use with flathead screws/bolts.

Seems like an infinite number of possibilities.:yes:

The holes are countersunk on the outside of the device for use with flathead screws/bolts.

I don't have a clue but I can see it as being attached to the bow of a old boat as a holder for a burgee... probably way off base :lol:

http://classicmarine.homestead.com/ourwindshields.html

I have looked at a few nautical websites but found nothing particularly close

Judging from the shape, and the orientation of the holes for screws, it looks like it could mount under the prow of a small boat -- thus maybe serving for boat handling? Just a blind guess...

I don't have a clue but I can see it as being attached to the bow of a old boat as a holder for a burgee... probably way off base :lol:

http://classicmarine.homestead.com/ourwindshields.html

I have looked at a few nautical websites but found nothing particularly close
Judging from the shape, and the orientation of the holes for screws, it looks like it could mount under the prow of a small boat -- thus maybe serving for boat handling? Just a blind guess...
I don't know what you mean by burgee... BUT I bet you are both correct as to where it fits on a small boat.

If you can picture that mounted to a V hull boat, at deck height, you will end up with two hand holds, or two holds that can be tied to.

Back
Top Bottom