XP Deus looking to buy...someone explain this beast please

Coindigger83

Forum Supporter
Alright,
So after much consideration I'm seriously considering this machine. My problem is that even after trying to research all the posts about them on this forum and other internet sources, I'm confused as to what all I am getting, or should get, or shouldn't get. Specifically, I don't understand which headset to get. Do they both do the same thing? Can I access all the features with them or do i need the remote? because I've heard both. Can I just get the deus with the remote and not the headphones? I don't need all the bells and whistles but would hate to fork out over a grand and not be able to use every feature. I've seen the deus equipped with a small little round box thing instead of the remote that has limited display (which i'm assuming is that headphone piece), but does the deus not come factory with the normal display box? If so, y would you spend that kind of money for a small and limited feature for a display?
Anyways, I'm trying to find out from actual users what all to get or not to get. At this point I'm very interested in the machine. I was about 90% certain I was gonna go with an Etrac, but I read somewhere that it's discontinued from factory which concerns me (if anyone can dispell that please let me know, more than 1 online seller has this stated, amazon is an example). please XP users shed some light!!! Bigboys and kellyco have about 4 different packages and I have no idea what I need.

Alright,
So after much consideration I'm seriously considering this machine. My problem is that even after trying to research all the posts about them on this forum and other internet sources, I'm confused as to what all I am getting, or should get, or shouldn't get. Specifically, I don't understand which headset to get. Do they both do the same thing? Can I access all the features with them or do i need the remote? because I've heard both. Can I just get the deus with the remote and not the headphones? I don't need all the bells and whistles but would hate to fork out over a grand and not be able to use every feature. I've seen the deus equipped with a small little round box thing instead of the remote that has limited display (which i'm assuming is that headphone piece), but does the deus not come factory with the normal display box? If so, y would you spend that kind of money for a small and limited feature for a display?
Anyways, I'm trying to find out from actual users what all to get or not to get. At this point I'm very interested in the machine. I was about 90% certain I was gonna go with an Etrac, but I read somewhere that it's discontinued from factory which concerns me (if anyone can dispell that please let me know, more than 1 online seller has this stated, amazon is an example). please XP users shed some light!!! Bigboys and kellyco have about 4 different packages and I have no idea what I need.

A person opting to but Xp Deus.

In order to be able to have access for any and all settings changes-- the remote is a must have

It is true many/ most adjustments can be done via headphone module-- but not all.

Are the wireless headphones a necessity?? No

You can buy backphones with the small receptacle plug and plug straight in to the remote--- but then you are not operating wireless

Xp does offer 2 wireless headphone setups-- full or the backphones type

You can also buy aftermarket full headphone designs where the Xp's headphone module slides on to them

I have the grey ghost design--- but IMO the Vance design is better sounding

You will see the Deus lite package advertised

It comes without a control head--- just rod, coil, and wireless headphones-- I recommend against this purchase--- but will say if a person does buy this setup and they have a bud with a Deus setup with a control head

You can actually program your coil using your bud's control head-- basically inserting and saving programs with key settings already put in.

The Deus is a very good detector

I have 2 complete setups
One with a 9" coil
One with a 11" coil

In the worst of sites with iron/ nails

No other detector currently sold in the USA can surpass it on unmasking/separation coil size for coil size

This detector can hunt behind all other flagship detectors

It is probably the most versatile dry land Vlf machine available today

Good for coins, relics, and jewelry

Menu system is layed out nice

The battery systems on the 3 components are very good with a long in service life

Definitely one of my favorite detectors

It will impress-- especially in and around nails and iron

Ok, so if I got the package that came with a remote (control box) do i need to get the ws4/ws5 headset or can I buy after market wireless headphones that are better? Or is it better to get the remote along with the ws4/ws5 set up?

Ok, so if I got the package that came with a remote (control box) do i need to get the ws4/ws5 headset or can I buy after market wireless headphones that are better? Or is it better to get the remote along with the ws4/ws5 set up?

I think that a just about perfect set-up for the headphones would be to get the ws4's along with either the Vance or Grey Ghost headphones. I really love the Vance headphones, but in the hot summer, I use the ws4's.

I wouldn't go without the remote or the wireless headphones. I chose the WS4's because IF I didn't like them I could use them with the options above that Reb posted...or the adapter for the WS4 puck that you can use with the headphones of your choice.

With the WS5's ..your just stuck with them.

You can't buy aftermarket headphones that don't require you to already have the puck from the WS4's

Hope that helps

what can be controlled via headphones without remote : (list from XP website)

Volume control
Choice of detection program
Discrimination level
Sensitivity level
Ground effects correction
Choice of frequencies (4, 8, 12 or 18 kHz)
Choice of tones
Choice of coils

There are advanced settings you cannot get to via the headphones.

Here is the user manual : http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/images/update_deus/User_manual_UK_V3.0_WEB.pdf

Last edited:
If a person opts to NOT purchase one of 2 xp wireless headphone setups available.

One thing to note.

Using hard wired head phones plugged in to remote control--- the angle necessary for connection is troublesome.

Folks that have used this setup--- many have addressed this issue

And down the road, if you decide to sell your Deus--- resale will probably take a bigger hit percentage wise vs an entire Deus setup with the coil, remote, and headphone module.

Hey TNS speaking of cans.

Any experience using third party bluetooth headphones with the deus? Should be possible?

I guess I could google or just try it, just thought I would ask as you guys were discussing headphones.

Here's something else along the headphones...I also have the wired headphones from xp (they are fairly cheap, only $19-$20). When my grand daughter wants to tag along, I will wear the wired ones, and she will wear either the ws4's or Vance. That way, we both can hear what is going on.

Etrac is not discontinued.

Kellyco doesn't sell deus.

Get deus with remote and wired phones and add ws4 later if on a budget.

Gets the ws4 package if getting full package.

No aftermarket wireless phones will work. However the ws4 module on grey ghost/Vance headphones are great option for large over the ear muffs.

Make sure you contact me for unadvertised price before buying.

I have been running my Deus now for about 2 yrs. I have the larger headphones, control unit and a 9 inch coil. I have an etrac that I have used since 09. The Deus performance is as good as the trac but the Deus is a pleasure to use! Light, fast and cordless... has a learning curve like the etrac. If I was buying one right now, I would get a Deus with 11in coil, remote, big headphones and a water set up. You would be all set to hunt most anywhere under moxt any conditions. The Treasure net forum has a Deus forom that Andy Sabich runs, very good info there. When u get your machine, consider taking one of his bootcamp classes. Please feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Etrac is not discontinued.

Kellyco doesn't sell deus.

Get deus with remote and wired phones and add ws4 later if on a budget.

Gets the ws4 package if getting full package.

No aftermarket wireless phones will work. However the ws4 module on grey ghost/Vance headphones are great option for large over the ear muffs.

Make sure you contact me for unadvertised price before buying.

I'm sorry I did mis quote. Your right, kellyco does not sell deus. I was switching between the spectra v3i/deus/ and etrac. I got lost on what website i was looking at. God I just don't know. I really love the idea of the deus. being wireless, less weight, and the tech sounds amazing on the deus. I've been swinging an ATP for about 2 years and love it, but after long hour hunts, I start to get sore. So the deus is really appealing in that aspect. but it also concerns me that most of that tech is specific to the deus, meaning less accessories and limited coils. And quite frankly all the controlling it via which headphones/remote thing confuses me. Maybe i'll try looking at the E trac again. For the same price as the deus, bigboys has what looks like decent package deal going on right now. GRRR guess it's back to the drawing board.

I'm sorry I did mis quote. Your right, kellyco does not sell deus. I was switching between the spectra v3i/deus/ and etrac. I got lost on what website i was looking at. God I just don't know. I really love the idea of the deus. being wireless, less weight, and the tech sounds amazing on the deus. I've been swinging an ATP for about 2 years and love it, but after long hour hunts, I start to get sore. So the deus is really appealing in that aspect. but it also concerns me that most of that tech is specific to the deus, meaning less accessories and limited coils. And quite frankly all the controlling it via which headphones/remote thing confuses me. Maybe i'll try looking at the E trac again. For the same price as the deus, bigboys has what looks like decent package deal going on right now. GRRR guess it's back to the drawing board.

Granted the variety of coils are limited for Deus.
But consider this fact.
Deus with 9" coil for example--- compared to etrac with the smallest coil possible---- Deus still can see nonferrous items etrac just can't see when in around iron,,,,and Deus with 11" coil not very far behind either.

A Xp Deus one coil setup--- far more versatile than many other detectors when it comes to both depth, separation, and unmasking.

Now if your At Pro is making your sore--- Etrac may not be your best choice-- etrac sure ain't light

Granted etrac is a very good coin machine.

I moved from the ATP to the Deus. For the same reason ..Sore shoulder ...but at the time I was basically detecting all day everyday. Anyway it was the right move for me.

Along with the weight and being able to change frequencies..make adjustments...etc.

There is a small coil on the 2016 list from XP ..which I will get once it comes out.

May seem complicated but it's not really IMO.

My 8yr old can turn it on and change programs (not allowed to make adjustments :lol: ) I let her try it for a little while last weekend.

Well, I have 2 bad shoulders. One had surgery. That's the main reason I got the Deus. If it were not for the Deus, I would be doing much less detecting. It is just sooo nice swinging it. With either arm.

XP Deus Experience

I have some experience (about 100 hours each) with the Garrett AT Gold and the XP Deus. For beep and dig for shallow coins in parks with modern trash the Garrett pulls more coins with its small 5x7 coil. It's kryptonite is aluminum screw caps. Also the 17khz doesn't give a good tone on nickles (clipped). Still a good machine for the money.

I upgraded to the XP Deus with the remote, full headphones, and 11 inch coil. It's kryptonite is rusty bottlecaps. Not having the wired headphones does make it easier to switch hands. The wireless is great when you set the detector down to dig you leave them on. The full headphones are good in the wind and fit over a ball cap.

Until I came up with my own custom program for US Coins I was starting to suffer from severe EP Deus buyers remorse and was considering selling it and trying the Etrac. The proof for me that the Deus was worth the extra money was recently I got a permission to hunt an area that was a popular swimming area in the 40's and 50's. The area has been searched multiple times in the past. I could tell since after mulitiple trips I found only 1 silver quarter but 26 silver dimes, 3 buffalo nickles, and about 35 wheat pennies. You could tell the previous searchers got all the quarters and then the smaller coins in the top 0-5 inches. The Dues pulled the coins in the 5-8 inch range that had been passed over by everyone that came before. That was very telling.

The XP with the 11 inch coil is great in light to moderate modern trash parks and old homesites with heavy iron. Not super in heavy modern trash parks.

I have a program that screams DIG ME for deeper coins if anyone wants to try it out let me know.

Thanks for all the information!!!!
I still haven't completely made up my mind on what to go with. Honestly I'm almost burned out on researching and watching videos on the e trac/ v3i / deus. I love the display on the v3i and the manner in which it conveys information. The e trac obviously has a great track record for being a great detector and has about as many options for tweaking as the v3i. The deus appeals to me in the area of light weight and wireless tech. I dislike the display very much on the deus.

I've been swinging the AT Pro for 2 years and it's a great machine, just feel like it's time for an upgrade. I hate the fact that I can't find any current info on a pair of great wireless headphones for it. Everything seems outdated or discontinued.

I hunt mostly around old houses, farm sites, and open fields. I 've read many times that the deus shines in iron discrim which would be nice around those old houses and farms. But I've also read many times that the etrac can find those deep deep silvers which is appealing.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the etrac for those deep silvers, and using my AT Pro with the 5x9 coil for really trashy areas with high iron trash. Using this combo of the etrac and atpro seems like a good combo to clean out a site.

Also it seems most dealers give great package deals on the e trac offering lots of accessories for the same price as just a single unit of the Deus or v3i with no accessories. I'm actually happy I haven't found a package deal that offers a pointer or extra batteries in the same price range as the etrac on the deus or v3i, because then my decision would be even harder :laughing:

I know it all comes down to personal preference and learning the machine. I know I should "test" drive them all before purchase, however that is not an option around me. I'm not sold completely on any of them just yet. I would like to thank all of you for your input. I honestly take them all into consideration. When I take the dive I'll let ya'll know what made the cut. Till then I guess I'm headed back to watching youtube vid's and reading forums.

deus doesnt allow advertised bundling. whether bundling or just a detector you are best served contacting a sponsor privately.

deus doesnt allow advertised bundling. whether bundling or just a detector you are best served contacting a sponsor privately.

+1

For pricing, you really do need to talk with one of the forum sponsors. Don't rely on advertised prices. I can also tell you that Craig gave me an incredible deal that no one else could touch.

I was in the same boat as you. Trying to decide between the etrac and deus. I went with the deus. The biggest reason I wanted an etrac was to slap an aftermarket oversized coil on it and go deep as hell. Also liked the 28 frequencies running simultaneously. The desire to go deep was greater than to separate between trash. Which will hold more goods missed by previous hunts? I decided on separation there. Felt like an obvious choice. But the deus is a deep machine as well! As deep as an etrac with a Nel storm? Probably not but I don't know that for sure. Then the fact that it's so light and portable and adjustable. Stick it in a backpack or traveling it fits in the car easy! I liked the videos by detectorcomparisons on YouTube where he puts a coin below nails and picks it up easy. I got the WS5 with remote. I don't plan to keep the remote mounted on the shaft, it will be in my pocket until I make adjustments. So when I need light headphones I'll use some wired ones that strap behind the ear. Wire can come up my shirt and out the back collar.

E Trac is an awesome machine, just heavier, slower recovery, bigger, wires, and you can buy one used for 750 from the right seller.
Good luck.

I recently bought an AT Pro again but do miss my Deus. I think the fact that you can upgrade the machine just by software alone is huge.

One thing I don't see brought up is the ability to really have two detectors if you buy the control module and a set of headphones. They both essentially have the ability to communicate with a coil.

So if you have those already and want to add another deus to the family later on just buy a shaft and coil.

Back
Top Bottom