"Northeast Electrictronic Archaeologists" - 2016 Spring Meet and Sweep #1 Proposed.

The hunt was set up nice and the fee went to the land owners. We all signed a liability release so the owners would be covered and compensated for using their land.

I think it was a win-win and will do it again

I think if the property owner was compensated, it would make the chances of success skyrocket.

Sounds like a good thought but if I have to start paying to metal detect then that would be a no-go in my mind.

Sounds like a good thought but if I have to start paying to metal detect then that would be a no-go in my mind.

:laughing: ehh what's ten bucks a year to hunt with a bunch of good guys/girls trying to meet fellow hobbyists? I wish I did the one in Rhode island last year my buddy went and scored a half reale and also got to meet Howard Hewitt.

Its an incentive to the land owner to open up his land to us. The other option is not ever hunting on it.
If it has potential to have things I'll give it a try. Look how many pay to go on the seeded hunts and I've seen them costing $200 for a weekend.

I'm not into finding something someone bought and hid in the ground, lost it -yes, but on purpose- no

I like to treasure hunt and sometimes it really is one. If I have to pay (with in reason) for a chance to get on land that otherwise would be off limits, sure.

Thanks Guys. It's good to see some interest. I got a PM from someone here that offered a site suggestion of a dried pond CT. No it wasn't DuckHunter. I am trying to learn a little more right now. It sounds like some well known names around here have been there and it was suggested...

Since guys are responding from outside the area I think this first meet, if it launches, should be A North East Meet.

There is a lot to do... in Pretty little time so I am hoping to get that location info to research some local resources like motels, campground or what ever else i come across that may seem helpful. I would make my trip an overnighter. But to keep it easy and together we could meet at a local breakfast stop to meet over Java then head out for a one day. That could accommodate everyone one dayers or not

Any thought? I am just tossing stuff out there... and those who speak up get their way.

More about the location as I learn.

Take care.

We need to be very careful...

...we don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot on this. In Texas, years ago people with money began leasing hunting rights on ranch and farmland. The word got around, and then the landowners no longer allowed permission to hunt for free on their land, soon it was all leased to wealthy hunters, and Joe Lunch box got shoved off the lands they had been hunting free for years. We have to be careful we don't end up doing the same thing here with metal detecting. If people hear others are getting paid for allowing MD access, we could see a big problem. Lands could get shut down in a heartbeat, unless access is paid for.

The land owner should get some compensation as a incentive , maybe it could be as a parking fee ,tee shirt sale or refreshments . In NY if you charge for land use like hunting you are liable to be sued , if you just give permission your not . They did this to protect the land owners .Hold Harmless agreements may vary by other states . Should be checked to assure the land owner .
HH

...we don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot on this. In Texas, years ago people with money began leasing hunting rights on ranch and farmland. The word got around, and then the landowners no longer allowed permission to hunt for free on their land, soon it was all leased to wealthy hunters, and Joe Lunch box got shoved off the lands they had been hunting free for years. We have to be careful we don't end up doing the same thing here with metal detecting. If people hear others are getting paid for allowing MD access, we could see a big problem. Lands could get shut down in a heartbeat, unless access is paid for.

Interesting analogy. It can happen when $ is involved. It is a very fine line. But my hope would be that lease game hunting is just a bigger deal with a lot more press and media dedicated to fan that fire. The fact is I only this past season pulled my first hunting lic. this past season... So this was even discussed at the Hunter Ed classes. MDing, so far, seems under the radar so keeping it that way may not be a bad idea.

And yeah I can see the point that a land owner "should" get compensated... But I would plan to steer clear of those arrangements as long as possible. Just for the sake of my own wallet. But for a big ol' hosted event it may need to be rethought.

For the sake of simplicity I am just fanning coals here looking for a place for a group of unorganized Northeast MDists to dig around on a given day, compare notes after and enjoy good company.

After hearing of other meets and looking into it a bit, I really feel like I should attend at least a few to see how others are doing things more formal before trying to deal with other peoples money to pay owners in a paid access arrangement. Or really doing anything more elaborate than just finding a spot, picking a date a catching up to put some names on faces fro everyone.

So for now it's not going to be any more than that by my efforts. Anyone can grab the ball and run, of course. But the simpler the better in my mind....

Pin n dig,,, sounds like worth a shot here, interesting as well,, will keep an ear out and hopefully can make this outting,,,, what town and i would be interested in this...

Interesting analogy. It can happen when $ is involved. It is a very fine line. But my hope would be that lease game hunting is just a bigger deal with a lot more press and media dedicated to fan that fire. The fact is I only this past season pulled my first hunting lic. this past season... So this was even discussed at the Hunter Ed classes. MDing, so far, seems under the radar so keeping it that way may not be a bad idea.

And yeah I can see the point that a land owner "should" get compensated... But I would plan to steer clear of those arrangements as long as possible. Just for the sake of my own wallet. But for a big ol' hosted event it may need to be rethought.

For the sake of simplicity I am just fanning coals here looking for a place for a group of unorganized Northeast MDists to dig around on a given day, compare notes after and enjoy good company.

After hearing of other meets and looking into it a bit, I really feel like I should attend at least a few to see how others are doing things more formal before trying to deal with other peoples money to pay owners in a paid access arrangement. Or really doing anything more elaborate than just finding a spot, picking a date a catching up to put some names on faces fro everyone.

So for now it's not going to be any more than that by my efforts. Anyone can grab the ball and run, of course. But the simpler the better in my mind....

Yep, you better have everything figured out before hordes of metal detectorists descend like locust on someone's property and start digging holes and removing treasure and artifacts.

The way I've been viewing this hunt would more than likely be a annual event. We could try a public area that everyone has slammed but i dont think thats beneficial to anyone. Especially for people willing to travel. A privately owned farm should turn up much more than a public spot. I can think of a few farm owners that would most likely say yes without money. But the money factor just makes the chances of success rise greatly. For a group hunt ...the landowner should be compensated. anybody who knows they have historical land, and know they could make money off it, would take advantage for sure. Do I think people will start leasing.out there property to hunters ? Not really especially if its one or two people...but when you have a group hunt with dozens of people, at the very least you leave that farmer with a positive outlook on the hobby and a pocket full of cash. A win/win. For both parties.

The way I've been viewing this hunt would more than likely be a annual event. We could try a public area that everyone has slammed but i dont think thats beneficial to anyone. Especially for people willing to travel. A privately owned farm should turn up much more than a public spot. I can think of a few farm owners that would most likely say yes without money. But the money factor just makes the chances of success rise greatly. For a group hunt ...the landowner should be compensated. anybody who knows they have historical land, and know they could make money off it, would take advantage for sure. Do I think people will start leasing.out there property to hunters ? Not really especially if its one or two people...but when you have a group hunt with dozens of people, at the very least you leave that farmer with a positive outlook on the hobby and a pocket full of cash. A win/win. For both parties.

Maybe split the finds or the liquidated value of the finds, with the landowner, like that lame TV show did... I forget the name. That way the property owner gets some compensation, but it is based on what was recovered--that should help to prevent greed spreading among landowners, and get them to open up their lands to us more.

ETA: The TV show was American Digger, with Ric Savage.

Maybe split the finds or the liquidated value of the finds, with the landowner, like that lame TV show did... I forget the name. That way the property owner gets some compensation, but it is based on what was recovered--that should help to prevent greed spreading among landowners, and get them to open up their lands to us more.

Very good idea! I hope we can put all the pieces together and make this.happen

Not really sure how this could work, the value of coins is subject to grade and condition, who would set the value or decide on a grade? I'm sure the finder and the landowner will have different ideas on how much a coin is worth. Relics are another story, how would you set a value on a relic? especially a rare one. I think this could cause friction with a landowner and lead to not being welcomed back. I like the idea of a set fee, everyone ponies up 20 or 25 bucks and the landowner gets a guaranteed sum of money. Anyways it's nice seeing all the interest here and hopefully this will happen this year.

Working on a suggested location.

Spring runoff could be an issue. A little more research needed, but sounds pretty cool.

More as i know it :cool:

Northeast Electronic Archaeologists

Welcome all! Please understand I can’t comment too much on the side conversations here as I have a bit to say about what’s going on. ...just not enough time.

It's good to see more interest, A date of Sat May 21st 2016 Saturday before memorial day weekend has been selected but this will be depending on the location being dry enough as it is a pond that has been drawn down.

It seems most people want to offer help through PM here. Thanks all. But because of that, communications is way more time consuming. So I am going to have cut back on those and focus what time I have here.

A Member here has generously contacted me with a spot that could work for an unofficial unsanctioned event. For this reason I don't want to associate the meet up with a formal face for now. I stress this because I am not sure permission can be obtained or is even needed. This is important to me because anyone arriving would be traveling at their own risk, as to access there. Hmmm, that sounded way too devious...but it's just that I won't be the guy who let anyone down.

I really don't foresee problems but I also can't figure out who would be asked. The spot seems to be a 150 year old drawn down pond, and It's interesting because I am not sure who owns lake beds and parking/access is from a the banks near the temporarily closed boat ramp.

From what I’ve heard the drawdown is recent and temporary so this place presents a Rare limited window of opportunity to hunt…at least dry. And as I hear there is tons of space, no one could cover it alone. I was told the area was dry and loosely caked for easy digging for the most part with access to the still flowing waters of the river as of late fall 2015. It should be drawn down through fall, 2016. In case spring is too wet. Finds by others sound nice with at least one Spanish Reale and colonial coins/relics found last year. Like I said, It sounded darn good to me.

I have been contacted by a friend here PMing me. we have his help in this. He is in contact with another forum member who lives there, he's to be our eyes as spring warm these cold North East ground. Their hunt there was last November and spring runoff has me a bit concerned. But we will play it by ear as it seems the best site so far.

That’s it for now, Out of respect for this spot being suggested to me by PM I felt the need to keep the exact location info under wraps until I am told it’s ok to say more based on the feedback we get moving forward here. But It is in CT near Norwich and that seemed fairly central to some of us who have replied here and I am willing to make the drive based on what I have heard and learned about it.

Last edited:
Sounds Interesting !!

I'm from northern CT but certainly not adverse to making a trip northward. I'm going on an organized hunt in VA in March, and there seems to be plenty of interest in the concept. Please put me on you list of interested parties.

I'm from northern CT but certainly not adverse to making a trip northward. I'm going on an organized hunt in VA in March, and there seems to be plenty of interest in the concept. Please put me on you list of interested parties.

The spot is set for you Home state. Check the post just before yours.
:yes: May be a shorter drive than you thought.

Back
Top Bottom