Hello from San Francisco CA

Snotrocket

Best regards to everyone. I am a total newbie can someone please advise on how to get started in this new to me hobby. I have yet to purchase any gear.
I guess I would start in fields and parks would a ACE 250 be a good entry level device to start with ? Any books or online how to get started guides I should read up on.

Thanks for any and all advice be it positive or negative........

-Snot

Welcome from down south. There are a lot of good youtube videos on detectors, how to cut plugs, etc. Also a lot of good info on this site.

I started with the ACE 250. It is cheap enough to get you into the hobby and if you decide detecting ain't for you, you did not spend much to begin with.

I never found silver with my ACE but I did find all of my gold rings with it. It is pretty accurate with gold in my opinion.

I now have an etrac ($1300) which is what I have found all of my silver coins with but have not found a single piece of gold with it.

With the ACE make sure you get headphones with volume control because that thing is crazy loud and will blow your eardrums out with normal headphones. Before I had good headphones I would just wear the included phones around my neck and I would still hear every beep very clear.

Learn the Code of Ethics is rule #1.

Have proper expectations - you will dig way more junk than "good" finds in any given day. Your skills will grow as you put in the time and finds will get better as well. If you enjoy being outside and making friends, and don't get upset when you get skunked you will do just fine. Making a good find is a bonus when it happens!

yo S

From the land of th Bluenose.....welcome abaord youz. Sure you will get lots of advice. Be one with your machine. Dig and they will come!

I started a few months back with an ace250 and already want to upgrade. I do think it was a good machine to start with though. Definitely get a pin pointer too. Oh and if you get the ace250 you can put electric tape on the volume slots to quiet it down and rain proof it. I did the same with the pro pointer.

Hi if you detect in Golden Gate Park some places there are very mineralised and you could use a machine with ground balance. All beaches in SF are off limits to detectors because they are national parks:(:no:

Back
Top Bottom