• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone else to paranoid to wear headphones?

blkcloud

I know this might sound silly but.. a few years back I bought me some fancy headphones to plug into my detector.. about ever 3 steps I would take I would stop and look behind me to see if someone was sneaking up on me..:lol: I dont know why... I dont have anyone looking to whoop up on me nor were I trespassing.. And I did have my pistol in my pocket..lol.. finally I took them off and chunked them in the back of my truck...:lol:

You know I never thought of that...as I am new - but Yeah - I can definitely see that - I guess thats why alot of people have started to wear the little ear buds from the iPods.....as what I have been reading on these boards.

In the inner city parks and the like its best to carry a sharp digging tool and leave the headphones at home. Most people that stop me ask what something like that costs, meaning the detector. I just tell them you can get them at walmart for $100 and they keep walking. Others well had I not left the grounds once I would have been in a fight to keep the detector, set up all day.

I can see using them to be kind to others like at the beach but with traffic and in parks, I dont see a need and I am deaf as a stone :lol: just ask my ex wife. Ok enough with the wife jokes....

I'm glad I'm not the only paranoid out there. I do still wear my head phones, but I do look around a lot. I did buy a special pepper spray gun to have on hand. It's just not people I am concerned about, what if a angry dog sneeks up un me. (I found that a couple shots of vodka can ease this paranoia)

If your worried, keep one ear off the headphones, ( like slide it backoff your ear so you can hear).. I carry a knife and pepper spray and a knife in my boot.so its really two knives.

You know that really makes sense! Working with a buddy is good too. And there's always the one on one off approach? Less effective but prob pretty safe!

Be careful out there!

I hunt those same Inner City parks as Jamie, (Jcham) does and NO WAY am I'm wearing headphones.. I've had the same questions asked and just go on my merry way. I hunt alone and am always well aware of my surroundings.. I've done OK without them. Am I missing those deep faint signals? Probably, but I love to hunt those parks. Parks that others say no way I'm not going there. That's where the good stuff is still waiting to be recovered..

about ever 3 steps I would take I would stop and look behind me to see if someone was sneaking up on me..:lol:

I never wear headphones. Only wear one earbud, cause I like to hear whats around me.

Hunt at night in a park with a head lamp if you think your paranoid :yes: Even with one ear open, it sounds like people talking, or sneeking up on ya. Or mayby thats just me earing things :lol:

You don't see deaf people constantly paranoid and looking around.

If you can't focus entirely on what you're doing, then it's truly time for
a partner or find some other location.

I usually wear my Sony MDR-NC6 earphones around my neck, when by myself and that works for me so far.

If someone is 'watching my back', I can put them on and use the noise canceling feature, which is the reason I bought them for listening to music.

The Ace 250 speaker tones carry and I don't like the fact that, in some areas, they can be heard half a football field away, or better, when the wind is right.

The fact is that this has caused me some moments of concern, having attracted the attention of questionable folks whom I didn't want to interact with.

If I really want to shut-out the world, I have some Sony earbuds that are wonderfully built for both sound and comfort, with in-line volume control.

I hunt places where the people are not much of a problem. More times then not just curious kids looking to see you find something. Not too worried about having a problem though. To worry about it would deffinately take my mind away from what i'm there to do. Usually the lesche digger keeps people at a distance. :lol:

This is what I wear on my backpack to hopefully deter anyone from behind. :)

Attachments

• pd (400 x 300).jpg
    pd (400 x 300).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,425
I have had on two occasions in the last month two big dogs come running up barking right behind me. Talk about scaring the crap out of me and I didn't hear them coming because of the headphones. Both of the dogs owners said don't worry the won't bit. I gave both of the dog owners a piece of my mind and the left not liking me very much. Now I leave one of the ears off.

I use the one off approach, but still scan the area to keep my situational awareness up.

I use the one off approach, but still scan the area to keep my situational awareness up.

That's exactly what I do when I'm hunting alone.
When I get a hit, I'll toss the other one on to analyze the signal better, but while I'm walking around scanning, one on, one off.

Hunting with a buddy is good idea, as is just plain avoiding places that have a higher probability of encountering turds.

I know this might sound silly but.. a few years back I bought me some fancy headphones to plug into my detector.. about ever 3 steps I would take I would stop and look behind me to see if someone was sneaking up on me..:lol: I dont know why... I dont have anyone looking to whoop up on me nor were I trespassing.. And I did have my pistol in my pocket..lol.. finally I took them off and chunked them in the back of my truck...:lol:

You've got all the good threads tonight blkcloud. Have you spent some time in the Sandbox? I just assumed it was me and the PTSD out of control again. Its never a bad idea to be aware of your surroundings. I probably push the envelope to the edge of paranoia, not quite delusional yet, but close. When I first started to MD, one of the first questions I asked on this forum was, why don't more detectorists use ear buds rather than headphones, so we can hear around us as well?

As usual, I had a lot of replies, but none of them kept me from going out and buying a decent pair of Skull Candy ear buds. They lasted about an hour and now they're with my Ipod. Nobody had mentioned it, but it turns out they fill your "ear holes" so well, they do better than headphones at masking out ambient sounds.

So, now its back to some really nice Studio Sony headphones and a Glock Model 19 or, as I have come to affectionately refer to it,
"Combat Tupperware "

I plan on getting headphones and when I do, I've already decided not to wear them in the woods.
I also do a lot of hunting (for meat) and when you're in the woods and not at the top of the food chain it's best to be aware of your surroundings. ;)

Back
Top Bottom