Who else here metal detects with a disability?

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
Was thinking about this the other day, I have one of those “not obvious” disabilities myself. Anyone else and want to share?
I’ll start with mine, I can’t kneel, also nerve issues in same left leg and arm both damaged return nerves. I try to dig a little bigger little deeper plug and will bend down and see if it’s a easy pinpoint and grab. If it seems it will be a challenge target I have a funny way to kinda get to my butt without using my knees. Left knee had half the connecting tissue cut off the knee cap to have it sit more correctly and if I run into something or if I kneel I’ll dislocate the knee cap then it swells etc. I usually just adapt when getting to the ground or even getting up off the ground without using the knee method.
And I guess I could say it was a trade off, lifetime restrictions for a knee that doesn’t want to constantly buckle under me and all. The nerve issue was a “slight chance can happen” well yea I shoulda bought a lottery ticket too.
I’m just getting into detecting a lot more since I have more free time now, beach runs have been fun but also hit and miss, almost a full skunk last two trips.
I’m slowly working a local park now and I think someone has cleaned it of silver lol.
But I know I can’t be the only one here with a disability and won’t give up on detecting.
Gimpy detectorists unite :laughing:

I'm dealing with two. I have COPD from 40+ years of smoking, although I quit 11 years ago, that limits my hunting. I used to hunt from sun up to sun down on the weekends, now I get maybe an hour depending on the weather.

I feel and broke my hip last summer and now walking for long makes it hurt. Especially in fields. I can take some pain killers and hunt a few hours but pay for it the next couple days of being sore.

I’ve had two back surgeries and a knee replacement that I don’t feel it’s as good as it could have been. The nerves in my lower back are being constricted so I don’t have full use of my legs and my balance isn’t very good. For the shallower targets I can bend over as long as I have my shovel to lean on and help me back up. I can kneel when I need to but I’ll feel it for a couple of days if I do it too much. There’s a member in my metal detecting club that sits on the ground to dig because that the only way he can do it with his knees. I’ll keep going until I can’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I don't think of myself as disabled (well, maybe mentally), but I've definitely been slowed down the last couple of years. Was rear-ended while stopped at a stop light about 7 years ago, suffered whiplash, went through surgery to fuse vertibraes. Did okay until about 2 years ago when the same thing happened again which excacerbated the injury. Went through physical therapy but that didn't help much, so now I deal with constant neck pain that keeps me from looking up or down. Even typing this message kills my neck. I've only detected twice this year, really miss getting out more. Lots of people with much worse disabilities, but it's still disheartening. Fortuneately I can detect vicariously through you guys and gals.

I have 2 bulging discs in my neck and something called cervical spinal stenosis. Basically it is where the spinal column is narrowing, and as it does, it hits the nerves on the spinal cord. When I aggravate it, my left arm becomes almost useless and it is very painful. It gets so bad I can't open a car door with my left arm. Sometimes it lasts a few days, but the longest it has lasted has been about 6 weeks. I have done the steroid packs, physical therapy, and exercises - not much helps. Can't take prescription pain meds because of my job, so tylenol and ibuprofen are my friends when I have an "episode". Most of the time it is fine, but when it isn't it really sucks. Surgery is the answer, but frankly I am a little nervous about doing it. Only 51, and I don't want to end up worse than I am.

I have had lower back issues due to weakened core muscles from lack of real exercise. I don't think metal detecting is as good of exercise as I thought, since it is a very repetitive type of sequences of movements.

So have been in physical therapy for past month to strengthen my core muscles and the results have been very good so far.

Also have tendonitis and arthritis in my right foot that acts up due to walking o n uneven ground and high arches. UGH, this is the bad one. When it flares up, I simply cannot go metal detecting.

Heart attack and had a stent put in resulting in a stroke on the table within the last 6 months. So I've only been beach hunting once this year. Have to take it really easy, can't run around the beach like a mad man anymore. I did get a handicap placard so I don't have to pay for parking now.

Keep on moving and do what you can. Not much happens at home. Get out there. I have slowed down a lot but can still find a good location. My age can be an great advantage. I have had a stroke, heart attack and an internal defibrillator. BTW... I had to do research on the the defib which electrical magnetic waves can cause issues. The metal detector is not a problem at all with defib. Just don’t put the coil right on it. Common sense. Just welding machines and the Bolder Dam Tours of the giant generators there are issues. Actually, I don’t think it works, cause it has not gone off yet!

Major lower back problems for the last 39 years. Most of the times I detect I wear a back brace. I have to be very careful if I pick something up off the ground, I can't just bend over and pick something up.

Quadruple By-pass surgery 22 years ago. Two left knee replacements, first one came loose and left shoulder replacement. Right knee scoped.

Not as fast as I use to be but I keep moving

Keep on moving and do what you can. Not much happens at home. Get out there. I have slowed down a lot but can still find a good location. My age can be an great advantage. I have had a stroke, heart attack and an internal defibrillator. BTW... I had to do research on the the defib which electrical magnetic waves can cause issues. The metal detector is not a problem at all with defib. Just don’t put the coil right on it. Common sense. Just welding machines and the Bolder Dam Tours of the giant generators there are issues. Actually, I don’t think it works, cause it has not gone off yet!

If it ever does, try to prepare to fall forward if ya get the chance.
My grandmothers fired off in the mall, she went backwards head injury and about 4 days later gone...

Reading down thru this thread, I see many of you have a prolonged standing problem along with bending and reaching. I also have some disabilities and one of my main tools is what is known as a rollator. Basically it is a walker on wheels but has a seat that gives a person with these difficulties a place to park "it" for a short break and then continue on with the task. Mine has 10 inch wheels which makes it do well on rough terrain. It is also a pack horse for my accessories and water jug. It will fold up flat and easily go behind the seat in most vehicles. I know of a couple old gentlemen who will not even consider because they feel that such a device comes with a stigma. I have used several but the "drive nitro" is the best of them all for me. The large diameter wheels is also a must for our hobby. Just a thought for you folks with the mentioned difficulties to maybe try. On the way into the hunting site I just lay my detector across the handlebars and it does fine. On the way back to the truck I am loaded down with those big gold bars :no: so that also is a plus.

I have 2 bulging discs in my neck and something called cervical spinal stenosis. Basically it is where the spinal column is narrowing, and as it does, it hits the nerves on the spinal cord. When I aggravate it, my left arm becomes almost useless and it is very painful. It gets so bad I can't open a car door with my left arm. Sometimes it lasts a few days, but the longest it has lasted has been about 6 weeks. I have done the steroid packs, physical therapy, and exercises - not much helps. Can't take prescription pain meds because of my job, so tylenol and ibuprofen are my friends when I have an "episode". Most of the time it is fine, but when it isn't it really sucks. Surgery is the answer, but frankly I am a little nervous about doing it. Only 51, and I don't want to end up worse than I am.

Very similar issues. I take gabapentin at night sometimes so I can sleep.

I've had an Ileostomy since 2016 on the right side beltline after my intestine burst. I have to be *really* careful so as not to pressure the pouch when I'm kneeling, stooping or bending down or bad things can (and occasionally do) happen :yes:. I also get some mesh pain also. I've learned to live with this as it has saved my life.

Last edited:
Very similar issues. I take gabapentin at night sometimes so I can sleep.

I had a discectomy in my lower back and two in my neck. I was in pain so bad that I was begging for someone to either fix me or kill me and at that time I did not give a damn which one was done.

Thankfully a good neurosurgeon was able to take care of the problem. It has been about 25 years since I had the surgery and other than some lower back pain from time to time I do just about anything I want. It did take some time to fully recover from the back surgery.

At 78 I am still able to do some detecting. I walk a mile minimum nearly every day. I can still walk a mile in 20 minutes.

A good neurosurgeon can really make your life better. Some orthopedics do back surgery but my Surgical Registered Nurse says NOPE.

Knee replacement earlier this year. Actually just started MDing and it has been more therapy than anything. I'm finding that the more I use it the more I CAN kneel on it. I even find myself kneeling at home and not even thinking about it.

I use a thick pad and the only real problem I'm seeing is finding a good way to carry the darn thing!!!!

Back in 2001 my YZ250 motocross bike and I parted ways and when we came back together again it was pretty bad for my right ankle. Crushed and twisted.
Doc said then either fusion or ankle replacement to "fix" it.. Fast forward to today, recently revisited with the docs about it as it has never healed and is a source of constant pain, sometimes slowing me waaaaaay down. MRI and Xrays and the docs again said either fusion or ankle replacement. DOH! Ankle replacement is not an option. It really isn't. Fusion might be but it is 10 weeks down hard.
For now i will deal with the pain. I've a new brace that is wonderful, really helps, made by zamst, best ankle brace I've ever tried.
I sure miss being able to sprint.

My regular hunting buddy is totally blind...he's AMAZING though. With his Tesoros he could call the target more often than not.

With the Nox he got a few months ago, he's very rarely wrong. He's been detecting for about 10 years or so, and absolutely loves it. He keeps amazing me every time we get out.

I have Osteoarthritis in neck and shoulders that prevents a solid night’s sleep and keeps me in pain through the night. 3 hours of beach detecting gets followed up with 2 days of pain. Swinging light weight detectors like the XP Deus and the Equinox helps keeps me in the game.

Back
Top Bottom