Calling all Garrett GTI 2500 owners, past and present

mark454

I have an older model 2500, with the Treasure Talk. Since this model isn't one of the newer beasts on the market, I figured I would start a thread to ask several questions over several posts if needed. The first couple I'll ask here, and it has to do with the imaging feature. What do you guys do when you get the 'size d at 12 inches' ? I have tried to dig them quite a few times, and usually come up with nothing. I do have a Sunray probe I use too. Could this be a bumper to a 74 Buick at 2 feet, or some type of falsing?

Question number two is probably better answered by Garrett themselves, but here it goes. I see folks talking about 'chip upgrades'. What is the upgrade, and is my machine a candidate for this? What exactly will be upgraded in terms of how the machine is used? More questions to come, just didn't want to overload this post.

I have an older model 2500, with the Treasure Talk. Since this model isn't one of the newer beasts on the market, I figured I would start a thread to ask several questions over several posts if needed. The first couple I'll ask here, and it has to do with the imaging feature. What do you guys do when you get the 'size d at 12 inches' ? I have tried to dig them quite a few times, and usually come up with nothing. I do have a Sunray probe I use too. Could this be a bumper to a 74 Buick at 2 feet, or some type of falsing?

Question number two is probably better answered by Garrett themselves, but here it goes. I see folks talking about 'chip upgrades'. What is the upgrade, and is my machine a candidate for this? What exactly will be upgraded in terms of how the machine is used? More questions to come, just didn't want to overload this post.

From what I understand, the chip upgrades were introduced in the early 2000s and primarily get rid of the md's talking feature. If your 2500 was not produced before the chip upgrade, then it already has it.

As for your first question, the targets at 12 inches that you can never find are probably very deep pipes, or it could be the bumper of a 74 Buick at 2 feet.:grin:

From what I understand, the chip upgrades were introduced in the early 2000s and primarily get rid of the md's talking feature. If your 2500 was not produced before the chip upgrade, then it already has it.

As for your first question, the targets at 12 inches that you can never find are probably very deep pipes, or it could be the bumper of a 74 Buick at 2 feet.:grin:

Why would you want to get rid of the Treasure Talk? That's one of the things I like best about my old 2500. As for those large 12" signals, sometimes hitting them from different angles will bring them closer and smaller. If not, I don't dig them.

My 2500 has Treasure Talk, too ;) I like it, it keeps me company.

I've dug some of those D's and E's at 12 inches. They ring up as iron or silver dollars. Mostly they were horseshoes, old farm implement stuff, or parts to a coal or wood stove. Now that my horseshoe collection is pretty much complete, I don't do those big digs anymore :lol: Deep aluminum signals have always turned out to be cans, unless it was thin flat nasty iron. Don't dig that anymore either. A couple of times my machine signaled deep D or E and was steady at copper or brass...those turned out to be horse collar hames. I'd still dig those.

Why would you want to get rid of the Treasure Talk? That's one of the things I like best about my old 2500. As for those large 12" signals, sometimes hitting them from different angles will bring them closer and smaller. If not, I don't dig them.

I actually like the Treasure Talk too.

Another question I had about the 2500 has to do with the beach. I realize this was not created as a 'beach machine', but can it be used reliably on the beach? I see it has a salt elimination feature on it, and shame on me for not looking more into it ( and I plan on it tonight ), but was that feature put there for wet sand usage?

As for the chip upgrade, I spoke with Garrett about it. I gave them the serial number of my machine and they told me the year of manufacture.

The woman I spoke to was very nice and said I had the newer DSP chip (which they have install since 1993) and that upgrading (a $325.00 refurbishment with the loss of Treasure Talk) would not make my detector any better or deeper.

Your D size target could of been a larger, deeper target. I did one time get some crazy reading and it turned out to be the coil was picking up my shovel that I use to replace my cane when out detecting.

Hope you figure out your dilemma and let us know.

Back
Top Bottom