fewer real gold/diamond rings

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
It seems like there are fewer real gold rings and real diamond rings being found. I wonder if this coincides with the millennials having less money in their pocket because of high student loan balances?

It has also been postulated that a lot of millennials graduated during the recession of 2008 and missed out on the better jobs and that has stunted a lot of their earning powers.

So it seems we are seeing a lot of fake engagement rings and many more stainless steel and tungsten rings.

I think that could be a part of it but I also think the rise in the price of gold over the last 20 years plays into it. I remember late 90s/early 00s I started finding stainless steel and tungsten wedding bands and started seeing friends wearing them.
One friend told me that gold was too expensive for something that will probably get lost or damaged and tungsten "looked cool."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Probably because half of marriages end in divorce. Why flush three months salary on a rock? You know she just going to hock it in a few years after you catch her with the pool guy.

Yes, I do have a very jaded view of marriage! Lol!

I think a lot of young people are looking at retail prices for jewelry compared to actual [melt] value and realizing it's not worth it.

I also blame society, we have changed, before people started trusting banks, jewelry was used as a savings account. The middle and upper classes would have a much higher percentage of their wealth in jewelry than they do today. Young adults buy less jewelry because their parents bought less jewelry, the parents bought less because their parents bought less. A couple more generations and there won't be anything but rubber bracelets and bling.

Not as big an effect of the decline of gold jewelry perhaps but the fact you could be robbed , beaten or murdered for it may tend to dissuade people from wearing or owning it .

I like thinking about these things and hunting gold accordingly!...The Junk leads the way!
Ya see, from about the 40's on, gold was about $35/oz. Everybody got married back then and ALL the wedding rings were GOLD, also, ALL the class rings were GOLD! Pretty much all jewelry was fabricated from a PM of some sort, either AU or AG, with a few costume pieces here and there...

Plus, folks recreated outside a whole lot more than they do today, there were Summer outdoor sports leagues of all sorts, not to mention Companies had employee BaseBall teams and whatnot...There was just nothing to do in the house, and with only 3 channels available on the TV, a guy may as well go outside and play some BB or something...

Well, when a guy hits some park dirt or curbstrips throwing off some 60's era tabs, various little bits and items that pre-date the 70's, Boy Scout slides and buttons, old brand crimped bottle tops etc, that where a guy is keying in on the GOLD tones! Thats Prime Pay Dirt for the Gold wearing years!

Back then, in the 60's, if you lost a gold ring in the BB field, there was no such thing as a 'Ringfinder' to dial up on your cell phone for help...Metal detectors were just coming out and not as common (or accurate) as they are today...So that Pre-70's dirt is the key to finding gold, and the junk will tell you if you are in it!

Nowadays nobody is getting married let alone buying a gold ring! Nobody is spending any amount of time out of doors, nobody is playing on a Company BaseBall league or even carrying any kind of metallic money let alone wearing any Gold Jewelry. Then, you add in the 'Ringfinders' and cell phones and every totter is swept twice/week by all the swinging sticks out there...

Plus, Theres all these bastard metals nowadays for jewelry!....Lustrium, Tungsten, Titanium, SS, Cobalt, being marketed to an ignorant generation who has no appreciation of the timeless value of AU or AG...

So I agree, with all of these post 70's considerations, fresh drop Gold is very hard to find...

Yeah, theres dirt gold out there, water gold too, lost long ago, and the junk will tell you if you are hunting in the right time zone..

FWIW, you take a look at an old guys ringfinger gold wedding band...its been on there 40+ years and pretty much grown into the skin like a piece of wire around a fenceline tree...that thing aint coming off without a fight and pair of sidecutters!...All Morticians will agree, they get all the easy old gold! .."Clip his finger off at the knuckle Charley, thats at least a 6 grammer there!":laughing:.

I like thinking about these things and hunting gold accordingly!...The Junk leads the way!
Ya see, from about the 40's on, gold was about $35/oz. Everybody got married back then and ALL the wedding rings were GOLD, also, ALL the class rings were GOLD! Pretty much all jewelry was fabricated from a PM of some sort, either AU or AG, with a few costume pieces here and there...

Plus, folks recreated outside a whole lot more than they do today, there were Summer outdoor sports leagues of all sorts, not to mention Companies had employee BaseBall teams and whatnot...There was just nothing to do in the house, and with only 3 channels available on the TV, a guy may as well go outside and play some BB or something...

Well, when a guy hits some park dirt or curbstrips throwing off some 60's era tabs, various little bits and items that pre-date the 70's, Boy Scout slides and buttons, old brand crimped bottle tops etc, that where a guy is keying in on the GOLD tones! Thats Prime Pay Dirt for the Gold wearing years!

Back then, in the 60's, if you lost a gold ring in the BB field, there was no such thing as a 'Ringfinder' to dial up on your cell phone for help...Metal detectors were just coming out and not as common (or accurate) as they are today...So that Pre-70's dirt is the key to finding gold, and the junk will tell you if you are in it!

Nowadays nobody is getting married let alone buying a gold ring! Nobody is spending any amount of time out of doors, nobody is playing on a Company BaseBall league or even carrying any kind of metallic money let alone wearing any Gold Jewelry. Then, you add in the 'Ringfinders' and cell phones and every totter is swept twice/week by all the swinging sticks out there...

Plus, Theres all these bastard metals nowadays for jewelry!....Lustrium, Tungsten, Titanium, SS, Cobalt, being marketed to an ignorant generation who has no appreciation of the timeless value of AU or AG...

So I agree, with all of these post 70's considerations, fresh drop Gold is very hard to find...

Yeah, theres dirt gold out there, water gold too, lost long ago, and the junk will tell you if you are hunting in the right time zone..

FWIW, you take a look at an old guys ringfinger gold wedding band...its been on there 40+ years and pretty much grown into the skin like a piece of wire around a fenceline tree...that thing aint coming off without a fight and pair of sidecutters!...All Morticians will agree, they get all the easy old gold! .."Clip his finger off at the knuckle Charley, thats at least a 6 grammer there!":laughing:.
Yes , but not necessarily all true. Everything is in relation or proportion. Gold was about $35 an ounce in the 40s. But what you have to realize back then , the minimum wage was about 35 CENTS an hour ! So gold back then was expensive as it is today.

Class rings are quite often made of silver nowadays rather than gold.
I remember in the 90s, class rings had options of different karats and metals besides gold in their catalogs. I remember as a senior thinking why would anyone want a ring in *Lustrium* or whatever that particular company called their non gold alloy. We didn't have a silver option, though. I would have gotten one in silver.

As I type this, I'm thinking about of the class rings I've found over the years and I don't think I've ever found a silver one before.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

From their web site.

White Lustrium®
This Jostens exclusive metal blend is a durable and affordable silver-toned metal.

Just a bunch of fancy words for junk.

Yes , but not necessarily all true. Everything is in relation or proportion. Gold was about $35 an ounce in the 40s. But what you have to realize back then , the minimum wage was about 35 CENTS an hour ! So gold back then was expensive as it is today.

I wasn't sure KOB was right so double checked him. In some state min wage today is $15 per hour.

date gold price min wage one oz ring cost hours
1940 35 0.35 35 100
2019 1500 15 1500 100

maybe my math is wrong, but this is what I came up with. same total number of hours to buy a 1 oz 24k gold ring. That is kind of uncanny. so we talk about the good old days with cheap prices, but it seems that earnings and cost stay in lock step with each other over the past 60 years.

Gold value hasn't changed in a very long time. The buying value of our money has.

In the 60s my parents paid $20 for a full cart of groceries and $5 or less for a tank of gas.

Gold was $35 an ounce untill the United States left the gold standard in 1971.
Wages haven't really risen in real buying power since 1978.
So as an example a nice mens suit equals an ounce of gold $35 pre 1971 dollars equals $1500 todays dollars.
Then buying power not changed since 1978 hence you get "other" metals for jewelry.

A lot fewer people getting married. More and More folks just living together until they tire of each other and then split. No rings, No divorces. No real committment. Just pack up and go.

Just did a search and found this -

Blame millennials: Diamond jewelry business in a rough spot

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/16/blame-millennials-diamond-jewelry-business-in-a-rough-spot.html

It's not only jewelry. I know from experience Millennials and younger are just not into many of the things we all are/were. The antique radio hobby is one. Amateur Radio is hurting. Less young people at Steam and Antique Power shows. Even less younger bottlediggers. At my weekly car cruise-in the majority of the guys are over 50. Things are changing. :(

There are exceptions though.

Back
Top Bottom