So What is Better than Finding one WW1 Bomb?? UPDATE!!!!

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
How about TWO more WW1 bombs?? Went out with Kevin today and tried something new. I am not going to say what on here because of the lurkers.

First thing I found was a nice long rope. Followed it to the end and found a chain. Dug down about a foot and a half and worked and worked and pulled out a very nice danforth anchor again. That makes 3 in two days. Then hit a bell tone again. We should ALL know how I love those signals. Started digging and I knew I had another bomb. Got it out of the sand and put it behind my boat. Not more than 15 minutes later I got another bell tone. Again another bomb!! These two are in a lot better shape than my first one. In fact one of them is almost perfect except the fins are a bit bent. The other is missing one fin and has a small hole in it.

Anyway a bit of new change, More 30-06 shells, a sterling bracelet and a sterling very heavy Tiffany and Co ring. Also got a bell tone Zippo lighter today and one yesterday.

The lighter yesterday has a date code of 1966 on it and was an advertisement for The Chrysler Crew. For Chrysler boats, motors and trailers.

I am tired, bombs and anchors are outside and so EVERYONE will have to wait for pictures.

Last edited:
:pirate2:Only u scuba would be crazy enough to pull two out and bring them home....you got my vote for pirate for the month of Aug....

Lol man. Nice finds. Question. Aren't you just a little bit worried that they could be live? Thanks for posting, always fun. hh an gl -Joe

Well live is an interesting question thats for sure. Not live in the sense as to real bombs. HOWEVER, they have a charge in the tail cone that was suposed to go off when dropped so you know what you hit. These are practice bombs. Made to mimic real bombs. The tail cones are intact, so they possibly have a charge in them. One of the nose buttons has been pushed in the other not.

They are made with the same cone and same fins as the real deal and are practice 100lb bombs.

Great and unusual finds as always.
But what I want to know is, how the heck to you get them to the surface? Just your BCD and fin power? Or do you rope 'em and drag them up?

Now the question is...how do you clean them up, inert them, and sell them. I still be scared lol. hh an gl -Joe

Great and unusual finds as always.
But what I want to know is, how the heck to you get them to the surface? Just your BCD and fin power? Or do you rope 'em and drag them up?

AHHH get them to the surface!! Now that is tricky with heavy things. What I did with these were is take out my weights and swam down and grabbed one. I put air in my BC and came to the top and handed it to Kevin who was in the boat. Then went back down for the other one. The anchor I tied the rope to my ladder and after I got in the boat I pulled it in.

I do have extra ropes in the boat that I could tie to one and pull it out. I will do that with a big anchor if I ever find one.

OHH and I never wear fins while detecting. I crawl along the bottom.

Now the question is...how do you clean them up, inert them, and sell them. I still be scared lol. hh an gl -Joe

LOL how to clean them? THAT is an interesting question!! Put them in a fire and burn the rust off? LOL naaaa. Bang on the plunger to see if it's still alive? naaaaa

I have YET to determine how to make sure the charge in the tail section is gone or a dud. These were built in the 1920's and I have only seen a drawing online for them. Right now they can live outside!

Back
Top Bottom