Dances With Waves For 14K!!

Cupajo

Elite Member
As I sipped my coffee this AM overlooking Long Island Sound from the comfort of my old van I noted little if any fluttering of a nearby flag from a slight air movement.

The sun was breaking free of the low lying haze hinting of a possibly warm day.

There was a little gentle wave action which was the deciding factor---today I would hunt the spot again where a couple of days ago I found thin sand and 2-silver dimes among 47 targets I recovered (mostly junk).

By the time I suited up and returned to my hunting grounds the wind was a brisk SW breeze and the waves were high enough to cause me second thoughts about a hunt today.

Notice the boat is pointed into the wind and the waves breaking on the sand bar out about a 100' or so and the quieter, narrow stretch of water just a little toward shore where I was able to fnd gold in chest deep water.

I decided that since I was here and in a wet suit (didn't have to worry about flooded waders!!) that I would at least get in a short hunt before the wind/wave combo chilled me to the bone and I would have to head home to warm up.

My first target and then the second were the fishing sinkers, offering me hope of things to come.

Just as I was starting to feel the chill through my 3 Mil Farmer John shorty suit at a little before the 1 hour mark I heard a faint, but solid signal above the noise of the wind and waves.

It took a bit of coaxing to slip this beauty outa the boulders and large stones it was hiding in, but Mr. Dual Field, Diablo and this Old Hunter had done it again---------gold!!

6.7 Grams, of the white kind, puts a smile on my face every time!!!:D

As the tide came in the waves started to cross the sand bar and 11/2 hours of dancing with waves was enough to wear me down.

Looking forward to warming up in a hot shower, I decided to call it a day with 21 targets recovered.

I must add that it has been 17 hours of water hunting since my last gold!!

Attachments

• 10-6-12 Finds 025.jpg
    10-6-12 Finds 025.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 10-6-12 Finds 026.jpg
    10-6-12 Finds 026.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 510
  • 10-6-12 Finds 011.jpg
    10-6-12 Finds 011.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 492
  • 10-6-12 Finds 003.jpg
    10-6-12 Finds 003.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 520
  • 10-6-12 Finds 030.jpg
    10-6-12 Finds 030.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 525
nice job in the cold water, nice white ticket, I would have to have a dry suit to get in that cold water, been in florida to long and blood is thinned out:lol: plus iam skinny and not much meat on my bones:laughing::laughing: Ill be checking into a dry suit in the near future.:yes:for sure... congrats on the finds...GL+HH.....cliff.

Living a 5 minute walk to my hunting grounds allows me the luxury of spontaneous water hunts when work etc. allows.

All I have to do is take a look at the trees outside and I can tell if hunting is a consideration.

A quick trip to the water cinches it, but no one knows for sure how things will change from moment to moment.

I usually avoid waves such as these, but didn't want to miss the "window of opportunity" offered by the sand having "thinned out".

Only a week or so ago the sand was over a foot deeper where I found the ring!

Had I worn a full wet suit in 7 Mil neoprene I would have stayed a while longer without discomfort.

Maybe next time.............CJ

Thanks for your kind words deedee!

clearwatermike; I wish I had your patience and finesse around the big rocks![/QUOTE said:
If Ya wanta water hunt in most of Connecticut Ya have to learn both Mike!!:yes:

nice job in the cold water, nice white ticket, I would have to have a dry suit to get in that cold water, been in florida to long and blood is thinned out:lol: plus iam skinny and not much meat on my bones:laughing::laughing: Ill be checking into a dry suit in the near future.:yes:for sure... congrats on the finds...GL+HH.....cliff.

Next hunt will be in 7 Mil neoprene Cliff.

When it gets really cold the dry suit or heavy waders with lotsa thermals will be the way to go.

As for "cold water", there are people enjoying swimming here even now and some have reputations for swimming year round!! Kathryn Hepburn was one and she lived a long life too!!

The wind is the big issue most of the time as it not only kicks up waves, but makes it a lot colder.

Many thanks for your reply Friend,

CJ

Next hunt will be in 7 Mil neoprene Cliff.

When it gets really cold the dry suit or heavy waders with lotsa thermals will be the way to go.

As for "cold water", there are people enjoying swimming here even now and some have reputations for swimming year round!! Kathryn Hepburn was one and she lived a long life too!!

The wind is the big issue most of the time as it not only kicks up waves, but makes it a lot colder.

Many thanks for your reply Friend,

CJ

CJ... first off congrats on the ring... was that the boulder field where you took us to hunt?

Secondly... I use 3mil neoprene waders during the winter months and have never felt cold through them... I think I would broil in 7mil ;) Maybe because I snowplow with my windows open I'm acclimated who knows :)

He takes a licking but keeps on ticking. Another nice score in tough conditions, CJ....add that one to the record books .

Back
Top Bottom