• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

how to detect 50ft+ down of 100kg+ gold?

S

steveok

The scenario is that I have reason to believe that there is a porous pot containing at least 100kgs of gold. The problem is the first attempt in finding this treasure resulted in the whole house being demolished and so there is large area of land covered in rubble. The house that was there was made from mainly brick/mud and so (hopefully) not many other metals are present. Before I start the digging process I would like to be certain the gold is truely there so if any metal detectors or other technology is available that can detect very far down , I would be happy to hear about it.

wow... 50ft is a long way in the ground, is it at the bottom of a well or something?
how do you plan on getting to it even if you do think you got the right spot?
personally, I'd have to be positive that it was actually there first, with the cost, trouble and work of digging that far in the ground I'd hate to be wrong too many times, or not find it at all

you got my curiousity up though, I dont really know what the price of gold is these days but I would imagine that 100kg would be worth a couple million dollars, I guess I'd also have to wonder what a couple million bucks in gold is doing buried 50ft under a mud house... :?:

I have no idea how you would detect it...

I remember an expression about: It is not the destination but the journey along the way. The journey in this case would have to be the research, the work, the mental and physical challenges in trying to figure out how to get to the bottom of the 50 foot pot of gold. If at the end of the journey you do not find the gold, you will have a whole adventure to look back on and I guarantee that you will be a lot better for having tried. It will be one heck of a story to tell your kids. Many years ago I got interested in a book called the Golden Hare. Somewhere in England a golden hare was buried and the book held the key to solving it. Pages of riddles that kept me going for months, even had my parents walking all over the Malvern hills looking for mewhen I left the UK and couldn't go myself. I never found it sadly but the adventure was awesome. I will never forget it and neither will you. Wish I was there with you :grin:Good luck :lol:

Are you saying there is 50 ft of rubble above the ground? Even if there was a detector that could detect that depth, there are too many other metals in a house that would keep you from locating it. You have to get all the trash out of the way before you find the good stuff.

You'd need a ground penetrating radar. Never used one myself but they claim models like Future exp4000/exp5000 can detect up to 25m depth. Costs a fortune though, basic model is something like $20000.

Voriax

Well, and not to be funny, you could always try your hand at dowsing. A lot of people strongly believe in it, and say it works. And it won't cost you $25k to do. ;)

My neighbor saw me out detecting and stopped to ask what I was doing, as I do not like this person, I smiled and told him I was out digging for treasure. He told me he has 2 detectors and one could go 200 feet under water. He is the type who has everything and done it all, told him I couldn't swim and blew him off. Maybe someone knows if this does exist or not but I wasn't going to ask him! :lol:

sounds like a legend to me, by that I mean, who in there right mind is gonna dig 50 feet to bury anything. All these treasures were mostly buried before anyone even dreamed of metal detectors. I stand by the belief that no cache will be buried any deeper than fist to elbow in depth, altho there will certainly be exceptions, but not many

spittfire said:
My neighbor saw me out detecting and stopped to ask what I was doing, as I do not like this person, I smiled and told him I was out digging for treasure. He told me he has 2 detectors and one could go 200 feet under water. He is the type who has everything and done it all, told him I couldn't swim and blew him off. Maybe someone knows if this does exist or not but I wasn't going to ask him! :lol:

Sounds like he might be referring to a underwater sonar unit. To those who are technically challenged, I suppose underwater fish finder sonar and metal detectors could be confused for one another.

Gil from CT

Although probably not advertised, you might be able to sweet talk your way into renting a ground imager radar system. I think surveyors for pipelines and such use them. You could use your vehicle for collateral or something. What is the source of your story? Not that I want details, just wondering if the source seems cradible to you or not.

I sort of go along with Beerdoodle. If the gold actually exists, the story must have been passed down and embellished by each of the story tellers. "The story grows on down the road" (REO Speedwagon) It seems unlikely anyone would dig a hole 50 ft. deep to hide something. Assuming it was buried in a dirt cellar, 2 feet deep would be enough, 4 feet better. Beyond that seems ludicrous. If indeed the treasure is there, I think it will be closer to the surface and also somewhat less then then 100 keys........ After the rubble is gone, and hopefully the site NOT leveled, you might be able to locate a large cache with a simple pulse detector. I wish you good luck in the Quest............ :yes:......Gil

Voriax is right: You would need a GPR (ground penetrating radar). Yes, they are very expensive to buy, but you can also rent them (though aslo pretty expensive, but if you're quite sure it's down there, it'll pay for itself).

Back
Top Bottom