Just nabbed a cheap JW Fishers Pulse 8, any info??

fir469

Forum Supporter
Well I picked this machine up this morning for a mere $25!! It's a JW Fishers Pulse 8, made in the 80's. It is in immaculate shape!! I called the company to request the instruction manual as that is the only item not included. It has a rechargeable NiCad battery pack, 8" solid concentric coil, Straight shaft with analog meter, divers rod, hip mounted on belt included. After talking with the service guys at JW Fishers this morning, they told me that if it is working it was an INCREDIBLE find for $25. They claim it to still be a top performer and is actually more sensitive to small objects then the newer model 8X. Parts are no longer available but electronic repairs can be made. They said it will pick up a thumbtack sized object at approx 9-10" coins and such a bit deeper. It has a 100 pulse per second rate.

Anyone have any insight into its use or in fact own one?? I could use some pointers... this is both my first waterproof machine and first PI unit...

Thanks,
Jason

Holy crap! That's the best deal I've ever heard of!! Where did you come acros this?

That may be too much machine for you, I'll be happy to quadruple your cost to take it off your hands. ;)

WOW, Awesome find there. Hope you learn it quick and find lots of goodies. You can pay yourself back just from clad you find. Well Good Luck.

Well it is currently charging... manual says it takes 12-14 for a full charge. I've had it charging with a solid red light for about 5 hours now... I took it off the charger at about 2 hours just to check if it would do a battery check and led would come and it did and the meter jumped to 0.4.... But now when I remove it from the charger and turn it to battery check I get no led light and the meter only moves to just below 0.1?? Odd!! Is it no longer working now?? Or does it just need a full charge?? I'm nervous I just broke it without ever using it lol. Any insight people??

PS- Found on Craigslist!! I check twice a day and caught it at 9PM last night... Owner said one other was interested in it so I picked it up at 7AM instead of trying to wait for 4PM...

Great find! If you havent already be sure to check the condition of the seals and get yourself some divers silicone before you get it wet. Good luck.
HH.

Best part about the seal is it is a single round O-ring... a common size as well. Easily replaceable

I won a gift card for $500.00 off of a J.W. Fisher Pulse 6x or 8x. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it though

JW Fishers claims (I spoke to them today on phone) that the original pulse 8 was more sensitive and deeper, but the 8X has more bells and whistles... They are claiming some pretty impressive depths especially on larger objects.

I think that since you say it's from the '80's that the battery has gone bad. That's why you charge it but it doesn't hold any charge. You will need to replace whatever rechargeable battery is inside there. Still more than a steal at $25 even with the battery replacement. Hopefully it's available.

I do believe you are right Felix... Just let it charge overnight and all day (manual says it can't be overcharged, has regulator) and tried it with no luck... I think the battery is shot. Oh well, I'll take it out see what size it is and maybe hit Batteries Plus and find a replacement of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom