How do you kill a drone?

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I guess you could just shoot it with any type of gun available, heck, you can probably bring one down pretty easily with a nice size rock and a decent throwing arm.
Most women would do it just that way but guys just don't think along those lines.

"If it's good enough to do it's good enough to....over do".

If you got the complete arsenal why not just go for the good stuff to make sure.

Supposedly an American ally did this...a $200 Amazon drone brought down by an SUV sized $3.4 million dollar Patriot missile.

Makes sense to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/americas/drone-shot-by-patriot-missile-trnd/index.html

A general's comment about this encounter...
"On the kinetic exchange ratio, that quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com, did not stand a chance against a Patriot,"

Duh!

Actually, I have given shooting down drones a bit of thought..I figure a couple of standard 1/2 nuts with a 4' length of common Spiderwire fishing line tied to each of them, fired out of a Wrist Rocket would sort of bolo up any drone out there and bring it crashing down for retrieval and potential 'bounty' return charge to the drone pilot owner...Simple, quiet, cheap, legal, effective....Thoughts?

Actually, I have given shooting down drones a bit of thought..I figure a couple of standard 1/2 nuts with a 4' length of common Spiderwire fishing line tied to each of them, fired out of a Wrist Rocket would sort of bolo up any drone out there and bring it crashing down for retrieval and potential 'bounty' return charge to the drone pilot owner...Simple, quiet, cheap, legal, effective....Thoughts?

What you describe is pretty much the 21st century equivalent of this....

Attachments

• west119_tnb.jpg
    west119_tnb.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 173
Now why should they worry about the cost , a safe bet is that we are giving them plenty of replacements for Free . ,,,,,HH

Last edited:
They are getting creative at keeping drones away.....

http://www.capitalwired.com/new-device-keeps-nosy-drones-at-bay/210681/

".....Anti-UAV Defense System is able to ‘freeze’ the drones in mid-air using radio waves, without destroying them."

Also, they want to pinpoint the drone operator too in case they are deliberately violating flying rules....

"New technologies that can detect the exact position of drone operators shall be tested (the FAA signed an agreement for this matter)."

auds-anti-uav-defence-system.jpg

One small caution however. Drones are likely somebody's property - destroying the property of another is an offense under the law in most places.

It may be that under local law and regulation - if it is intruding upon your privacy - you have grounds for legal action against the owner/operator. But even in that case, arbitrarily destroying the owner/operator's property is likely illegal.

Not to spoil anybody's fun or fantasy - but if you want to stay out of legal trouble don't go around destroying other people's property.

One small caution however. Drones are likely somebody's property - destroying the property of another is an offense under the law in most places.

It may be that under local law and regulation - if it is intruding upon your privacy - you have grounds for legal action against the owner/operator. But even in that case, arbitrarily destroying the owner/operator's property is likely illegal.

Not to spoil anybody's fun or fantasy - but if you want to stay out of legal trouble don't go around destroying other people's property.

Pretty sure if I am using Patriot missiles to destroy these things not many are going to want to mess with me much. :lol:

Even lawyers will probably have a healthy respect for these things and those who wield them and crazy enough to fire one off.

Last edited:
LOL reminds me of guy who killed all those windmills because he didn't understand the technology.

I got these guys who drive these truck looking things over my property, maybe I should be shooting these things.

You guys are fun! Your attorneys will be able to send their kids to really good colleges. lol

Last edited:

Lol. I'm with mud. Have fun with forensic analysis of a wrist-rocket projectile fired from a concealed position, let alone triangulation for downed uav recovery and/or blame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I like the idea of some split shot on a piece of heavy fishing line from a wrist rocket, but would hate to get caught for doing it.

Those who criticize the cost of using the Patriot against the drone may not understand the situation--the value of the intel that the drone was acquiring may have been worth every dollar of the cost of the Patriot missile to stop it being acquired. The cost of the drone is irrelevant--the cost of lives and property to the friendly forces may have hinged on destroying that drone. Should they have used a cheaper countermeasure? Sure, if they had one at their disposal, and the result would have been a 100% certainty, as it was with the Patriot. But perhaps a cheaper countermeasure was not available. You have to fight with what you have.

Back
Top Bottom