Navajo Belt Buckle

salty_dawg_45

Elite Member
Hey guys, I picked this up yesterday for $100. It is not marked as silver, so is it sterling silver? Coin silver? The stones are topaz and the little red piece is coral. There is a real bear claw in the middle too. I was just wondering what it was worth and if it is silver? Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 673
Looks like it was made by someone with some serious skill, they would probably not put the time in to the piece and make it out of anything other than silver...
Cool find!

just saw sometning here about putting silver behind tissue paper to ID it. It looked like it was glowing compared to a clad coin next to...maybe it helps.

Nice buckle! I have a store on the Cherokee Indian Reservation. I buy and sell jewelry like that for a living. A retail price would be around $300. Wholesale around $150 in NEW condition. Yours shows some wear. So a retail around $250. It needs to have the scratches buffed out of the bear claw and the silver polished. Keep in mind it is a FELONY to BUY or SELL a bear claw in TN and most states. A federal Indian reservation is different. The claw is real in that buckle. Good Luck.

Nice buckle! I have a store on the Cherokee Indian Reservation. I buy and sell jewelry like that for a living. A retail price would be around $300. Wholesale around $150 in NEW condition. Yours shows some wear. So a retail around $250. It needs to have the scratches buffed out of the bear claw and the silver polished. Keep in mind it is a FELONY to BUY or SELL a bear claw in TN and most states. A federal Indian reservation is different. The claw is real in that buckle. Good Luck.

um, the 2nd amendment says we "have the right to bear arms." I believe that also means the claws.

I had no idea bear claws were illegal and is this only certain species like Grizzly. And does this include possession my Mother was a big Native Indian jewelry lover and I'm not sure which one of the family ended up with the watch band but it is a cuff style and has bear claws on it. Thanks for the heads up I'll have to check the laws in Missouri.

Definitely silver! As you can guess, this is hand-made - more than likely Navajo. Definitely Navajo style.

The buckle itself is hand-made, the bear and leaves are bought from a "jobber". I'm thinking that the silver "beads", for lack of a better term, are also "jobber" supplied - maybe not. Non of that decreases the value an any way though.

Everything else is hand-made by a silversmith. The name on the back is the name of the silversmith that made the buckle. It is a Navajo tradition for the silversmith that creates his work to stamp/engrave his or her name on the back of whatever he or she creates.

As someone mentioned, the stones are definitely turquoise are coral. And I am going to guess here as I have been away from this for a VERY long time, but I will say that the turquoise is probably from the Bisbee mine in Arizona. Just a guess.

Everything being meticulously soldered to the buckle and the hand stamping around the border will tell you that this took some time to create. This a very nice piece!

Hope this helps, well done!:tiphat:

Back
Top Bottom