Making a digging tool

209Ace

Forum Supporter
My first digger was the Predator Tools Model 85B.
The 85B was all the digger I needed until I hunted a park in the older part of Stockton that was full of roots.
Most of these roots ranged from the stringy (which the 85 plows right through) up to 3/16" and woody.
I had seen power hacksaw blades used to make knives so this got me to thinking I might be able to use one as a base for my backup digger.
This build used a blade,a piece of pipe (I used black iron pipe) and a handlebar grip.

Cut and shape the 1/8" thick blade, slot the pipe, insert and weld the blade to the pipe.
I filled the pipe end closest to the blade with J-B Weld, and sanded it flat to keep out dirt and moisture, sprayed on some paint and slipped on the grip.
The 85 is my go-to digger but when conditions get tough its nice to have a backup tool.

Here is a pic comparing the 2 and a solo shot of the the the DIY tool:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Potent looking digger!! The finer teeth look more effective!

Just to clarify, did you start with a power hack saw blade?
If so who stocks them?

can you tell me what blade you use,at work we have bi-metal blades which are flexible and we have hss blades which shatter if bent too much,also what did you weld it with,mig,tig or arc?
thanks

I used an arc welder.
Haven't had a problem prying with the digger.
Seems to be fairly stout
If I run into a situation where I put some serious torque on it I will be sure to post.

ok,can you tell me what colour blade it was then,blue or orange.
thanks

That's a great idea you got there.

I've seen some videos on youtube showing the process, but I like what you did.

None of the small handsaws I've seen in the shops had the dimensions/strength we need when we are dirt fishing, and a small saw surely will be nice to have when we have to get rid of the roots.

Maybe your next project should be a nice leather sheath for carrying the digger, when it's not needed.

I really like what you have done, and think that it will be a nice winter project for myself.

The pic of your predator is not from the right angle, but it looks like the edge of it is round?? - If so, then sharpen it after 100 digs - you will find that your recovery time increases (Big time!)

HH.

/Steffen

Back
Top Bottom